Hurricane Harvey Donation

widallas

I've noticed that Carnival and their Chairman donated to Harvey relief efforts....was a little surprised that Royal has not done the same. With as much business as they do in the region (and after the Liberty of the Seas situation), I think their ability to relate to passengers is coming off a little tone deaf....

Just because they didn't get publicity for it, you actually have no idea, unless you are a chairman with rci. Many companies and individuals give to things like Harvey relief quietly to not publicize it. Not saying they did, just that you actually don't know.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

I'm not too impressed with Carnival's $2M when they pay less than 1% tax to start with. I agree with the poster above though, you just don't know what they may have donated and to say they have not is not a fact.

I don't know if Carnival paid 1% tax or not, I did not bother to check. I don't have a problem with anyone paying the amount of tax required by law. One way corporations lower their tax bill is to make charitable contributions and I'm in favor of that type of tax deduction. Money contributed directly to a relief aid organization gets into the hands of the people who need it much faster than through the government appropriation process.

I don't know if Carnival paid 1% tax or not, I did not bother to check. I don't have a problem with anyone paying the amount of tax required by law. One way corporations lower their tax bill is to make charitable contributions and I'm in favor of that type of tax deduction. Money contributed directly to a relief aid organization gets into the hands of the people who need it much faster than through the government appropriation process.

This is part of why ships are run as their own separate companies, flagged under convenience states (Registered in Bahamas, Malta, Panama, etc.) To avoid taxes and US labor laws. Their donation is separate from that since their US tax liability is almost nil. I guess it was a little harsh to say I was not impressed. Direct charitable donations are of course encouraged and welcomed, but bigger picture is these companies do not contribute significantly to the tax base while continuing to reap far more in govt benefits than they put back into the system. All legal and on the up and up.

And I guess I remember Carnival's one phone call, sweetheart, tax payer funded boondoggle from Katrina...

I've noticed that Carnival and their Chairman donated to Harvey relief efforts....was a little surprised that Royal has not done the same. With as much business as they do in the region (and after the Liberty of the Seas situation), I think their ability to relate to passengers is coming off a little tone deaf....

We were on the "extended" Liberty cruise to Miami (on which Royal treated us all exceptionally well, I might add.)

While in Miami Michael Bailey (Royal's President) came on board and announced that Royal donated $200,000 to the relief effort, and had raided their Miami warehouses and loaded onboard many pallets of relief supplies (food, towels, etc.) to be offloaded upon arrival in Galveston.