Benefits for booking future cruise while onboard?

Hobie

What are the benefits when booking a future cruise while onboard? I will be on the Veendam on October 20 and want to book a cruise for January 2018.

I realize that I'm taking a risk that cabin selection might not be as good as when booking now.

Do you think it is worthwhile for me to wait and book the future cruise while onboard the Veendam or just go ahead and book the January cruise now?

Thank you for your advice.

What are the benefits when booking a future cruise while onboard? I will be on the Veendam on October 20 and want to book a cruise for January 2018.

I realize that I'm taking a risk that cabin selection might not be as good as when booking now.

Do you think it is worthwhile for me to wait and book the future cruise while onboard the Veendam or just go ahead and book the January cruise now?

Thank you for your advice.

It depends. By booking onboard you will get some onboard credits (the amount will vary by the length of the cruise and cabin category), which are almost as good as cash.

On the other hand, the cabin you want might be gone by Oct. (as you mentioned).

Of course this depends greatly on the category you are booking as well as how "picky" you are in cabin selection. You might try checking the inventory on HAL's website (by doing a fake booking). In doing this, there is also an option of seeing if a specific cabin is still open (you have to do one cabin at a time however and this can be time consuming).

And of course, it depends on how well your sailing is selling.

I am picky about my cabin, so we prefer to book as soon as possible.

Ditto here, so we tend to book as soon as we've decided on a particular itinerary - we'd much rather have the stateroom of our choice than the OBC.

Smooth sailing :ship: :ship: :ship:

We booked an 11 day August 2018 cruise while on board Veendam earlier this year. There was no special promotion going on at the time. We each got $100 OBC (OV cabin) and only had to pay a deposit of $100, which was recorded as an applied future cruise deposit. Of course, maybe two months later as a special bonus, the cruise was cancelled on us.... :D