Vatican Scavi Tour Security Procedures

mina

I did not get an answer to my prior question, so thought I would try rewording. I would like to know the security and access procedures for the Vatican Scavi tour. I have a confirmed reservation and the instructions say: TheExcavations Office is reachable only by Bernini's colonnade (on the left facingthe Basilica), entrance on Via Paolo VI, where one passes to the policecheckpoint and then heads to the Swiss Guards.

Is this "police checkpoint" the same security line that one stands in to get into St Peter? If it is, that is a LONG line to stand in and we would need to be there very early. Can someone who has done the scavi tour in the past year provide insight as to what the "police checkpoint" means. I read that the procedures have changed as there did not use to be a "police checkpoint" in earlier years, so looking for recent experiences.

Thank you!

We did the Scavi tour 6 years ago. I don't know how much security procedures have changed. However, the entrance for the tour office off to the side - it did not involve the line to enter St. Peter. There was an area with barricades where the Swiss Guards checked your tour confirmation ticket as well as your attire. If you scroll to the bottom of the page linked below, there is a graphical map with the Scavi entrance highlighted. We found it easily without a map. It's a great tour. http://thecatholictraveler.com/vatican-scavi-tour/