Best seasickness preventive?

MandyPuppy

Hi Lynn,

I purchase generic motion sickness pills from Costco. They sell them for $3 for 100 pills. It's a real bargain. If you don't have a membership, Hank mentioned Walmart also carries generic products. Just ask the pharmacist at either store.

When the seas become unexpectedly turbulent, I return to my room and lie down. I find the swaying motion relaxing, like being in a cradle! On my very first cruise we had rough seas at night. I got the best night's sleep and miss the rocking motion on the newer large ships. I am sure i am the exception on this.

If the ship is moving a lot don't try to walk in a straight line. Go with the flow and develop your sea legs.

Sent from my LGLK430 using Forums mobile app

That would be the generic Meclizine

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My husband and I are taking our first cruise - transatlantic in November. In the past on small boats I have had a tendency toward seasickness. Have read of various medications, wrist bands etc. but would appreciate hearing first hand experience of what works best.

Thank you,

Lynn

In 44 years of cruising I believe I have tried every possible product and the only 100% reliable for me is Bonine.

I hope this will make you smile -

We were crossing the Bay of Biscay in December and I was very seasick, as were a lot of other passengers. The ship's crew were on TV discussing potential remedies and one of them said that putting a 'plaster' (Bandaid) over the bellybutton was supposed to help. However, my husband misheard and thought they were suggesting putting pasta in the bellybutton :eek:

TBH, I don't think either 'remedy' would work and rather suspect that the crew were just trying to see what ridiculous thing they could get the passengers to believe . . .

DH and I both taken the non-drowsy Dramamine. We take the first dose the morning we are going to board the ship, and then take one every morning. I tend to get a little car sick - DH usually doesn't have any motion sickness issues. BUT, as many people here have said, the goal is to prevent the seasickness. Once it sets in, you can't really shake it until back on land. Truthfully, I have no idea whether either of us gets seasick. But (and with our dr. approval), taking the Dramamine ensures for us that we don't have any issues! I DO NOT want to be sick and miss out on that food!

Also, just something to be aware of that I don't think anyone mentioned, a lot of people experience the continued "ocean motion" for a day or two after getting off the ship. It seems to be especially noticeable in a small space like the shower. DH takes an extra day of Dramamine to help with that. I just pick a song in my head and sway along until it goes away!:')

I use sea bands. It works great for me if my sea sickness isnt that bad then i use one but if its bad i put one on each wrist. You have to make sure you put it on the right pressure point so it will work effectively. I tried pills a few times and it didnt work as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, I am not into "Alternative" Medicine, but they really helped me