Breakaway Beds

Zenica

Was your experience with a Breakaway mattress...  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Was your experience with a Breakaway mattress...

• Super Plush/Soft
    • Soft
    • Soft to Medium
    • Medium
    • Medium to Firm
    • Granite Firm

For those that have been aboard the ship Breakaway, how would you rate its beds?

In terms of softness and comfort. My bed at home is a Serta iSeries Hybrid for reference should anyone

else have that model. We recently stayed at the Disney Resort and after 10 days my back and shoulders

were in PAIN. I swear if I had to endure one more night in that bed I was going to sleep standing up.

That was two months ago and I kid you not, my shoulder is still sore! I prefer my side and the Disney Resort

bed may as well have been a slab of granite. My wife didn't like it either but being a 100lbs, she barely pressed

into it.

I've booked for us a "test" cruise ahead of our 2018 reservation which was slated to be our first time aboard a cruise. I want to

test whether or not we're even going to like being on a cruise. My biggest concern is the bed more than motion

sickness. Usually when I have to book hotels for work, I choose Radisson Hotels or Resorts because they have Select Comfort which is my second preferred choice.

ok, how do you rate the Breakaway beds?

Edited by Zenica

we usually have very good beds on NCL, but i do usually go home with shoulder and neck aches as we are used to our Tempur-pedic and this happens when we stay anywhere other than home.

but yes, the steward can bring you an eggcrate if you need it.

In a word..."horrible". We asked for and received extra pillows. Didn't help one bit since the pillows just sunk down no matter how you arranged them.:( My cabin mate was using 6 pillows at one point and the bed still wasn't comfortable.

For a fairly new ship, the mattresses seemed to sink in the middle (twin arrangement with beds apart).

What can you expect when the seats in the main showroom are just plain uncomfortable as well!

MARAPRINCE

@Maraprince

I always pack my own pillow for just this very reason. I can't stand pillows that compress to an 80lbs sheet of card stock.

I'm hoping the foam padding they have on board helps but in my experience when we tried a Casper mattress and the foam top they sent (in the hopes we wouldn't feel the need to return it) didn't help. The foam compresses and your back to square one.

Perhaps I won't need to sleep much on the cruise?

Based on the responses here and the poll, the beds are likely to be on the firmer side but probably not as bad as what we experienced at Disney. Good because when I said their bed was like granite, while that sounds like an exaggeration, it really wasn't! (well perhaps a little, there was a sheet between the granite and my back!).

Thanks to those that replied.

I know the OP stated they preferred sleeping on their side...as I do as well. But, if you do find that the mattress is too firm for that, I would suggest trying to sleep flat on your back. It may take longer for you to fall asleep, as you are not used to that, but I can almost guarantee that you will awaken with no neck or back pains....at least it works for me that way...

@Maraprince

I always pack my own pillow for just this very reason. I can't stand pillows that compress to an 80lbs sheet of card stock.

I'm hoping the foam padding they have on board helps but in my experience when we tried a Casper mattress and the foam top they sent (in the hopes we wouldn't feel the need to return it) didn't help. The foam compresses and your back to square one.

Perhaps I won't need to sleep much on the cruise?

The worst part in our balcony cabin...my cabin mate had to be careful getting out on her side or else she would end up in the closet while I had to contend with hitting my toes on the bottom of the sofa on my side. The sofa was over 12ins. lower than the bed. If you needed to use the bathroom during the night you had to be careful leaving it since there was a big drop between the sill and the rest of the cabin. All our space was located from the sofa to the balcony while the bed was hard to access in the twin configeration.

MARAPRINCE