Cigar Buyers Beware (La Triada selling fakes)

NMG318

For those wanting to buy Cuban cigars, the shop called La Triada at the old fort where the worlds longest cigar is located is selling fake cigars (I checked the bar code with habano.com web site). I was told this was one of the official Casa Del Habano stores. I bought 2 boxes there this last week. The Fonsecas were authentic but the Montecristo #4s were fake. I did look at the box and saw the bar code that looked authentic but when I handed the box back and got distracted they switched the box to fakes. I can only surmise that all the single cigars are fake as well. I bought some other cigars at the Hotel Conde De Villenueava (located a block from the port) and they all seem to be ok. The old fort was one of the stops on the Old Car Tour.

Thanks for the tip! How do you know if you are buying fakes? I'm not a smoker but was going to buy cigars as gifts. I've been told the brands to buy, but I have no idea what to look for to make sure they are authentic! Any tips would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Normally, if you buy them in the government stores called Casa del Habano stores you will be safe. Conde De Villanueva would be safe. I was told by my tour guide that La Triada was a government store but I am not sure it is. I should have waited until I went to Conde De Villanueva the next day but I was concerned that I was not going to have time. If you buy a box, look for the hologram and bar code strip. The numbers (and bar code) should appear crisp and clear.

Normally, if you buy them in the government stores called Casa del Habano stores you will be safe. Conde De Villanueva would be safe. I was told by my tour guide that La Triada was a government store but I am not sure it is. I should have waited until I went to Conde De Villanueva the next day but I was concerned that I was not going to have time. If you buy a box, look for the hologram and bar code strip. The numbers (and bar code) should appear crisp and clear.

Thank you so much for the lesson! I'll stick to your recommendations.

• 3 weeks later...

The following pictures are the box of fake cigars that I bought from La Triada.

6f818a01402d42783c653ac34856558a.jpg

19a0736bb6f1e456779da14da4f8e86d.jpg

f53c2a5a93e88b5054260a12077878c4.jpg

These pictures are from a legit box of cigars for comparison:

91a018df416da84915f594687fb15787.jpg

ab326430f10cd71734244020f4237285.jpg

c90a26799c4265dc2df00e3a021d0eee.jpg

Note the differences in the health warning in the lower right corner on the top of the boxes. The fake box did have a 3D hologram and the “Republica De Cuba” label on the left, however, it was not placed at the correct distance from the left edge (3-6 mm). Also, note the differences in the serial number on the front edge of the fake box compared to the real box. As I mentioned before you can go to Habanos.com and check the serial number to authentic boxes. On the bottom of the real box, the letters were etched into the box vs just printed letters. Also note the price tag on the real box vs none on the fake.

Thank you so much for sharing these details. I don't think there is a chance that my uneducated eyes will be able to pick out those differences. I think I'll stick with the stores you recommend above. Thanks again for sharing!

• 3 weeks later...

Same issue in Dominican Republic. Lots of scammers selling cigars to the tourists.

I don't smoke but was told by someone who does, and frequents Cuba and Dominican Republic regularly that they stuff the cigars with banana leaves, then wrap them in tobacco leaves, and slap a phony band on them.

• 4 months later...
I dont get this cigar facination and Cuba

All of these brands are available from your local smoke shop or even better value online in the US.

Cuban? Not really, but some damn good cigars at great prices from places like.

https://www.thompsoncigar.com/

Its all about quality, and knowing what your buying which is a education in itself, equally important is about whoe roles them aswell, a top quality cuban cigar is one of lifes blessing, im not saying you cant buy these elsewhere but top quality you need to know what your looking and in Cuba too, but there if you know what your looking for :D

Its all about quality, and knowing what your buying which is a education in itself, equally important is about whoe roles them aswell, a top quality cuban cigar is one of lifes blessing, im not saying you cant buy these elsewhere but top quality you need to know what your looking and in Cuba too, but there if you know what your looking for :D

I no longer smoke, but a good friend has asked me to pick some cuban cigars up for him on my May 9th trip.

I'm somewhat reluctant due to my lack of experiance and worry about buying fake cigars.

I have looked over the site mentioned. So fingers crossed, I need to find an honest store.

• 2 weeks later...
If you buy single cigars how do you know if they are fakes? Also do they sell small sampler packs? If so about how much are they?

Some of the fakes are really good fakes and unless you are an expert or have really done your homework it is really hard to tell the difference. If you shop at the Casa del Habano stores you are less likely to be sold a fake but not guaranteed. They do sell some cigars in smaller boxed quantities. They cost 15 -50 CUCs or more.

3a66037b2e19759e7848b46453208514.jpg

Edited by NMG318

Some of the fakes are really good fakes and unless you are an expert or have really done your homework it is really hard to tell the difference. If you shop at the Casa del Habano stores you are less likely to be sold a fake but not guaranteed. They do sell some cigars in smaller boxed quantities. They cost 15 -50 CUCs or more.

3a66037b2e19759e7848b46453208514.jpg

That’s a nice selection.

Can you confirm that you can use US credit cards when making purchases in the Casa del Habano stores.

Maybe as much as 200 cigars. 8 boxes or so ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a nice selection.

Can you confirm that you can use US credit cards when making purchases in the Casa del Habano stores.

Maybe as much as 200 cigars. 8 boxes or so ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used cash. I don't think they take credit cards. Those pictures were taken at the Casa del Habano in the Hotel Conde De Villenueava, about a block from the port.

I used cash. I don't think they take credit cards. Those pictures were taken at the Casa del Habano in the Hotel Conde De Villenueava, about a block from the port.

This blog states they do take credit cards with just the 3% charge towards American $

Will try this first, if not available will have to go back the next day with a fish load of cash.

http://yulcigars.blogspot.com/

Edited by Magnetchief
added blog

thanks for all the links to the articles and for the lively discussion on discovering fakes. will be there next week. do you know if they sell portable humidor packs? i am taking plastic bags, but am thinking i need packs also. any recommendations on this?

thanks for all the links to the articles and for the lively discussion on discovering fakes. will be there next week. do you know if they sell portable humidor packs? i am taking plastic bags, but am thinking i need packs also. any recommendations on this?

I don't know if they sell portable humidor packs. You can get those at your local cigar shop or Amazon.

• 2 weeks later...

went to the store at hotel villanueva and got some great deals! actually, i found it on my own after some searching and questioning of locals. lmao. ok then. antonio was fabulous in helping me pick out what my friend and hubby would like given their palate. got a small box of the elusive montecristo no. 2's. he was impressed with my knowledge of cigars and also my command of spanish. they do NOT take credit cards...i asked. however, i paid for some with usd which he took adding in the 13% exchange rate he would have to pay to convert it at his bank. i was glad to do so. will visit here again next time i am in havana. now that i am home and re-reading this post, i am glad to find out it was the store you found! our guide was trying to take us to "the lighthouse" but i politely refused his offer and went out on my own. i could not remember where you said the fakes were, but the lighthouse is near the fort so i am assuming perhaps this is the same place.

went to the store at hotel villanueva and got some great deals! actually, i found it on my own after some searching and questioning of locals. lmao. ok then. antonio was fabulous in helping me pick out what my friend and hubby would like given their palate. got a small box of the elusive montecristo no. 2's. he was impressed with my knowledge of cigars and also my command of spanish. they do NOT take credit cards...i asked. however, i paid for some with usd which he took adding in the 13% exchange rate he would have to pay to convert it at his bank. i was glad to do so. will visit here again next time i am in havana. now that i am home and re-reading this post, i am glad to find out it was the store you found! our guide was trying to take us to "the lighthouse" but i politely refused his offer and went out on my own. i could not remember where you said the fakes were, but the lighthouse is near the fort so i am assuming perhaps this is the same place.

Glad you found the Casa Del Habano in the Hotel Villenueava. As it turns out not only did the La Triada Cigar and Coffee Shop sell me fake cigars, they were infested with insects. Note the holes in the cigars. Apparently these are made from the tobacco beetle.

b337d08709845ac3e0b53025da1f3110.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

wow. i just checked hubby's as i got him all singles. i have them stored in some "portable" humidors. all clean. i am looking forward to returning to havana soon and this shop. thanks again for all your great advice. i am assuming the shop you visited at the fort is the one "at the lighthouse" that my guide was talking about.

wow. i just checked hubby's as i got him all singles. i have them stored in some "portable" humidors. all clean. i am looking forward to returning to havana soon and this shop. thanks again for all your great advice. i am assuming the shop you visited at the fort is the one "at the lighthouse" that my guide was talking about.

The "lighthouse" is actually a different place than the La Triada and I don't know how legit they are at selling authentic cigars.