Uniworld-Basel to Amsterdam

E316

We enjoyed a twelve night cruise on Uniworld's River Queen this summer in the opposite direction, Amsterdam to Basel.. We enjoyed beautiful scenery, great service, good food, and excellent shore excursions. I think you would enjoy yourselves too.

Paul

Happy to hear you enjoyed the cruise. Have you been on other lines besides Uniworld? We have been on AMA twice and Viking once. How long were the excursions? Half a day or all day?

Also we are not the most active and do the gentle walkers. Did you raft? Did you spend extra time in Switzerland? We spent extra time in Amsterdam when we did the Tulips and Windmills.

So this time we would want to see more of Switzerland.

Elyce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the Castles on the Rhine from Basel to Amsterdam this past March, with Uniworld, but it wasn’t the Jewish Heritage tour. On most days, we did have both a morning and afternoon excursion offered. We started with two night in Lucerne-gorgeous weather.

We tend to be more active, but the gentle walkers were well cared for:-)

Robin

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for your quick response. How was your weather in March? Did you do any rafting?

Elyce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our March weather was amazing-a very pleasant surprise. We packed long underwear, and never needed it. In fact, my husband wore shorts one day. In the mornings, it was high 40's, and the days were in the mid to high 60's. We had sun every day except the last. Our "sea day" from Cologne to Amsterdam was overcast and "misty," but we had to pack, and spent time in the lounge, so it was no big deal.

The forecast on Weather.com was spot on, so I definitely recommend keeping an eye on it before you leave.

The previous year, we did a Danube cruise in late April, and had snow showers!

Needless to say, we greatly enjoyed our Rhine cruise. Here's a link to the trip report I did. (And, as you can tell from my signature, we're doing a Provence cruise this coming spring, not the Viking Ocean cruise:-) )

Robin

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2479562

• 2 weeks later...
Happy to hear you enjoyed the cruise. Have you been on other lines besides Uniworld? We have been on AMA twice and Viking once. How long were the excursions? Half a day or all day?

Also we are not the most active and do the gentle walkers. Did you raft? Did you spend extra time in Switzerland? We spent extra time in Amsterdam when we did the Tulips and Windmills.

So this time we would want to see more of Switzerland.

Elyce

Hi Elyce,

We sailed with Scenic last year and felt Scenic was a higher-end experience. The excursions and special events were wonderful. That's not to say we weren;t completely satisfied with Uniworld too. The service and the staff were terrific. As with Scenic we apprciate the 'no tipping' policy. I think you'll be very pleased.

We usually looked for hte more ambitious excursions the gentle group was well taken care of. Yes, we did a fair amount of rafting but I think of those occaisions as opportunities to check out the other ships.

Sadly we were not able to schedule extra time in Basil. We were up early that morning for a pre-dawn ride to the airport. Maybe next time.:)

Enjoy your time with Uniworld. I'm sure they were take great care of you.

Paul