Which airport to pick up hire car?

Bedruthen

I am hoping that someone can help. We are doing a transatlantic crossing next year, returning the same way three weeks later. In the interim we are planning a road trip, so need to pick up a hire car. On arrival in New York, we plan to self disembark, pick up a hire car and head for Boston. At the end of our trip we will be driving back to New York from Niagara Falls and then staying overnight near Grand Central station. Given these plans, where would be the best location to pick up and return a hire car? We are thinking that an airport might be the best option, as it would avoid driving in the busiest areas of New York, but don’t know which one would the most logical. If anyone has any advice it would be welcome, or if anyone has done something similar. We don’t want to take a train anywher

An airport pickup will likely have higher rental costs due to facility fees that are applied to the whole of the rental. Likewise any rental pick up within the boroughs of New York City may also be more expensive than a suburban location.

The return location shouldn't affect the rental cost as long as you're close enough to the pick up location that they don't apply one-way rental fees. For example, renting in a suburban location and returning in Manhattan or at an airport should cost the same as renting and returning at the same suburban location.

I don't have experience specific to New York but the above is my understanding from airport and city rentals in other large US cities.

If I were renting I'd spend some time with the websites of the large US agencies such as Avis and Hertz and experiment with pickup and drop off locations. Other websites such as Orbitz and Expedia may give you good info also but the rental company sites will make it easier to learn where rentals can be picked up and dropped off.

Well that's interesting. I compared rental rates for a 9-day rental in late November of this year, looking at Newark Airport, the Hertz location near Red Hook, Brooklyn, and an off-airport agency in Jersey City New Jersey.

The cheapest rental for the dates I randomly selected was to rent and return at Newark airport. The most expensive rental was to rent and return at the agency in Brooklyn (over twice the price of renting at Newark airport). Renting at Jersey City was in the middle.

You'll have to do some good homework with your specific dates, considering both airport and off-airport locations that are reasonably accessible after your cruise.

Hertz Class C rental (Toyota Corolla)

Nov 29 - Dec 7

Newark Airport: $350

Brooklyn: $725

Jersey City: $525

Rent at Jersey City, return at Newark Airport: $675

That’s what we had been finding, that airport rental was cheaper, which does seem strange. As we arrive in Red Hook and are going to be travelling straight over Boston Way, pick up at La Guardia looks the most sensible. More research to do.

Local offices MAY be cheaper than the airport (usually it's a higher base rate, offset by lower taxes and fees, and it comes out in the end). Local offices also have limited hours compared to the airport, will be far less flexible than the airport in terms of the car you receive, will probably give you an old and dirty car with high mileage and less than a full tank of gas, and are far less likely to be familiar with qualifying drivers with international licences for rental.