Snorkeling for VERY Beginners at Grand Cayman near Port?

HumMayDum

So I can maybe swim, at best 10-15ft away from the shore without feeling like I'm going to swept away by the sea or getting tired?

I was wondering if there's anywhere I can snorkel, with the above information in mind, and still see something in the water like fish or corals? I was looking at places like Eden Rock, Smith's Cove, Cemetery Beach but I don't know if these places would be okay for me?

So I can maybe swim, at best 10-15ft away from the shore without feeling like I'm going to swept away by the sea or getting tired?

I was wondering if there's anywhere I can snorkel, with the above information in mind, and still see something in the water like fish or corals? I was looking at places like Eden Rock, Smith's Cove, Cemetery Beach but I don't know if these places would be okay for me?

Going to be honest here, Eden Rock may not be a good place for you as a beginner in fact I recommend against it right there at the Dive Shop for One Big Reason. The reason is there tends to be a pretty good swell there and it can be very tricky getting in and out of the water without the waves throwing you around like a toy when you try to climb the ladder out. Now having said that, there is a restaurant closer to the ship on the way to Eden where it may be a little easier to get in and out but there are large Tarpon Fish there so if you are intimidated by that it could be an issue. There are other areas all long there going towards Seven Mile Beach you could try but most all have ladders in the water however I don't believe the swell is as bad as Eden Rock at the Dive Shop.

Maybe you should consider one of the tours to Sting Ray City and the Reef? The Reef actually has excellent snorkeling. Best of luck to you and the snorkeling is very good in Cayman.

BTW, this should be on the Grand Cayman port board and you may find more info there.

Agree with HurnMayDum. Take one of the sting ray tours. The rays are in chest deep water, no fins allowed but you can use a mask to duck under water to see them swimming between the people. The snorkel portion is in fairly shallow water (6-10') but you will be required to wear a vest and won't touch bottom anyway. Shallow enough for good viewing and typically very clear water, plus inside the reef has very little current. The guides are great with newcomers, although I would recommend buying a mask and getting used to it in a pool before you go. Lay in the water, relax and maybe move around a bit with your hands.

Snorkeling off a beach is almost never very good - visibility is usually bad and few fish in sandy areas.

So I'm definitely going to do a stingray tour, but leaning more towards the sandbar option since it's shallower.

My SO wants to be able to snorkel and play with dolphins for a bit so this is where I'm a bit lost because I can find Stingray sandbar + dolphin or stingray + snorkel excursions through RCI but I'm not sure how to add the 3rd activity in there. I was hoping for a snorkel spot that's near the port ... but maybe I'll have to think again

So I'm definitely going to do a stingray tour, but leaning more towards the sandbar option since it's shallower.

My SO wants to be able to snorkel and play with dolphins for a bit so this is where I'm a bit lost because I can find Stingray sandbar + dolphin or stingray + snorkel excursions through RCI but I'm not sure how to add the 3rd activity in there. I was hoping for a snorkel spot that's near the port ... but maybe I'll have to think again

I'm an avid snorkeler and excellent swimmer, so it's kind of hard to relate to your issues. If you want to get away from shore you might find a sail and snorkel provider and email them. Possibly they may have a way to deal with a non swimmer (special vest?) so they can enjoy the excursion. You're surely not the first to ask, and I bet they've found a way.... good luck and enjoy your cruise!!!

Actually there is a place.

When you get off at the Tender Dock walk on the street to the right. There is a dive shop right on the water near a restrauant just 3 blocks from dock.

The dive shop has snorkel rentals, lockers, a outdoor shower to rinse off etc. The reef right in front is not deep 10 feet or less and is very clear and has lots of fish even some pretty big Tarpon near the restrauant.

Last trip we snorkeled. And then took a cab to 7 mile beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

and Paradise is next to EDEN

one of the places we folks with experience (beyond one visit) have warned against ....

if you turn right from the landing area you head to the 'iron shore' area. I would not recommend this area for beginners.

At the far end of this area (a mile or so) is Smith's Cove which is a GREAT area for beginners .... but only a few picnic tables, simple rest rooms and simpler showers. No food/booze/umbrella .... bring your own water. Occasionally an ice cream truck comes by. Sunset House / My Bar is a short walk .....