New Activity : Swim with the turd-dles

deepcman

Reminds me of when we had a Phantom Sh!tter aboard Nimitz lol. Doodies would turn up everywhere... 6 month Med Cruise, he never was caught.

So my worries are not unfounded or obsessive....lol. Thanks for sharing though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me. Four years ago, we cruised on the Explorer with our 2.5 yo grandson and although he was toilet trained, the full time crew member at the separate kiddie pool asked every adult with a child, if the child was wearing a swim diaper since they were not allowed. So I assume, although there was a full time crew member assigned to the kiddie pool, it was not retrofitted with all the new equipment needed for proper sanitation.

Now, I have another question... Why then, is the 'no kids rule' on certain hot tubs, not enforced?

Two years ago (and prior Majesty, Explorer), we were on Liberty there were children and infants who were clearly not trained, in the hot tubs. Last year we cruised Anthem twice, and I did not note the main pool area hot tubs because we enjoyed the Solarium hot tubs...especially at night after dinner. As I said before, I could not bear to use the hot tubs on Grandeur last month, because of very high usage of very elderly people. I just couldn't get my head wrapped around that.

BTW, my husband and I are engineers and we have a hot tub at home. As you can understand we are meticulous with the cleaning, care, sanitation, even the temperature control of our tub. Personally, we will not go in any hot tub that we cannot verify the quality of sanitation and upkeep.

Next year we will be trying the NCL Escape when it comes to NY, although RCI is our preferred cruise line. They have a feature in their adult deck area, that incorporates showers and tunnels set in a natural rock setting that I am looking forward to using. Maybe RCI can consider this type of feature for adults only too? Hint, hint.

Explorer is a Voyager class ship, and only the Freedom, Oasis, and Quantum classes have the "infant only recreational water facility" (to give it its proper name by USPH). I would assume the crew member was there simply to enforce the no diaper rule. At an infant only splash area, the crew member is there to remind parents to change the kids regularly, and to shut the area down immediately if there is an incident. The infant only pools also must have a completely separate water system from all other pools and water facilities, since most of the pools and slides, etc, use a common "surge tank" to make up water splashed out.

Allowing a non-potty trained child in any water facility other than an "infant-only recreational water facility", is a violation of the USPH VSP (Vessel Sanitation Program), and could get the ship into difficulties with USPH, if reported. However, it is rarely, if ever reported, and so the crew, not wanting to disgruntle the passengers on whom their livelihood relies, don't bother to enforce the rules. So, seeing infants in the hot tubs would be a serious violation, and should have been dealt with. The "no kids" in hot tubs is based on a recommendation by the CDC that children and elderly should not use the hot tubs, so it is easier for the crew to bend this rule.

While I personally have no desire to enter a public hot tub, let me explain the sanitation measures that the ships must follow. First, unlike most private hot tubs, as the water is recirculated, it passes both a pH and a chlorine sensor, and these sensors control dosing pumps to add chlorine or acid as required, continually, based on the bather load, which changes constantly. The chlorine level is kept at a higher level than most private tubs, around 8-10ppm, which does cause lots of complaints about faded swimwear and even swimwear that has had the stitching rotted out of it. Because the temperature of the tub, generally around 104*F, is the optimum breeding temperature for Legionella, and the tubs used to have air jets that tended to aerosolize the water (and any Legionella in the water), the air jets have been disconnected. Finally, because the chlorine at the high levels tends to build a film on the inside of the piping, and the bacterias can find a way behind this film and be protected from the chlorine, the tubs are super-chlorinated to 100ppm daily, which breaks down the film, and gets any hiding bad guys.

Explorer is a Voyager class ship, and only the Freedom, Oasis, and Quantum classes have the "infant only recreational water facility" (to give it its proper name by USPH). ...

They installed one on Majesty last dry dock. I'm thinking some of the Voyager class ships (maybe Adventure?) might have one too.

Explorer is a Voyager class ship, and only the Freedom, Oasis, and Quantum classes have the "infant only recreational water facility" (to give it its proper name by USPH). I would assume the crew member was there simply to enforce the no diaper rule. At an infant only splash area, the crew member is there to remind parents to change the kids regularly, and to shut the area down immediately if there is an incident. The infant only pools also must have a completely separate water system from all other pools and water facilities, since most of the pools and slides, etc, use a common "surge tank" to make up water splashed out.

Allowing a non-potty trained child in any water facility other than an "infant-only recreational water facility", is a violation of the USPH VSP (Vessel Sanitation Program), and could get the ship into difficulties with USPH, if reported. However, it is rarely, if ever reported, and so the crew, not wanting to disgruntle the passengers on whom their livelihood relies, don't bother to enforce the rules. So, seeing infants in the hot tubs would be a serious violation, and should have been dealt with. The "no kids" in hot tubs is based on a recommendation by the CDC that children and elderly should not use the hot tubs, so it is easier for the crew to bend this rule.

While I personally have no desire to enter a public hot tub, let me explain the sanitation measures that the ships must follow. First, unlike most private hot tubs, as the water is recirculated, it passes both a pH and a chlorine sensor, and these sensors control dosing pumps to add chlorine or acid as required, continually, based on the bather load, which changes constantly. The chlorine level is kept at a higher level than most private tubs, around 8-10ppm, which does cause lots of complaints about faded swimwear and even swimwear that has had the stitching rotted out of it. Because the temperature of the tub, generally around 104*F, is the optimum breeding temperature for Legionella, and the tubs used to have air jets that tended to aerosolize the water (and any Legionella in the water), the air jets have been disconnected. Finally, because the chlorine at the high levels tends to build a film on the inside of the piping, and the bacterias can find a way behind this film and be protected from the chlorine, the tubs are super-chlorinated to 100ppm daily, which breaks down the film, and gets any hiding bad guys.

Thank you so much for taking the time to address our concerns. It certainly makes sense while reinforcing our previous thoughts.

Although I would prefer a hot tub maybe we should use the adult pool for relaxing instead but I will inform the crew if I see a baby in the hot tub (or main pool) again. A family member saw a baby in the outdoor hot tub on the Grandeur last month.

Many years ago on Celebrity Horizon, the outdoor adult pool had a section with bars set in a large reclining position that could seat 4-6 adults, which was very nice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Neither of those are allowed in the pool. Tell an attendant and have them removed.

You have probably swam with a person with either a colostomy or ileostomy bag in a public pool and didn't know it. They have small ones for such purposes. You can't even tell they have them on.

People who have had these surgeries lead normal lives like everyone else. Please educate yourselves on the subject before making comments that aren't true.

Royal does not have a rule for people with ostomy bags.

Sorry, don't mean to interrupt the thread, but I had an ileostomy bag after a surgery before and it just makes me sad when people don't know their facts.

Edited to add, we don't use public hot tubs. Just seems to yucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by rkkunk

Just off Vision.. Sunday sea day pool was closed at 8:15 ish AM because a mother [who was warned and asked to remove her young toddler the day before] let him back in and viola. Didn't re-open til almost 1 pm after they did the full drain and scrub treatment.

Captain Marek came out when he heard what was going on and was pretty visibly upset.