New Activity : Swim with the turd-dles

deepcman

Freedom has the Baby splash zone where children in diapers can play, so there is no reason to take them into the pools.

I realize that. My issue is that my friends 14 yo daughter wouldn't understand why she couldn't get in the pool, which she does at home (wearing a swim diaper). Therefore, she doesn't get to go on cruises (unfortunately). We are dealing with a special needs child here...

I just use shower to cool off with. Saw someone with a colostomy lid go into pool. Also adult diapers. No thanks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

As far as I know, only ileostomy patients can use the TIES system which has the lid. I am pretty sure people with these can swim as they shouldn't leak. Even people with regular colonoscopies and ileostomies can swim with a small ostomy bag on. It is sanitary, no leakage.

Now back to the doodie talk. So gross that this happens!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I realize that. My issue is that my friends 14 yo daughter wouldn't understand why she couldn't get in the pool, which she does at home (wearing a swim diaper). Therefore, she doesn't get to go on cruises (unfortunately). We are dealing with a special needs child here...

Try taking her on Anthem. Plenty to do without swimming. I know you will miss sitting by the pool but you can enjoy swimming in port. If you don't take her to the pool she won't know it's there. We have a severely autistic grandson who is now 18 but can't always be trusted to let someone know he needs to use the bathroom so may have an accident. He also loves water but doesn't get taken to the pool deck.

I NEVER go in any public pools. I don't care if they chlorinate or not. Chlorinated urine and poo is still urine and poo!:o Swimming in waste that is disinfected doesn't make me feel better...:eek:

You do realize that ALL water has been exposed urine and poo?

And if your area gets water from a river, where do you think the urine and poo from areas upstream of your area goes?

And, they're rarely more than warm which is the perfect growing medium for bacteria. Really hot, at least would kill most bacteria.

Hot enough to kill bacteria, they would be hot enough to COOK you. :)

Hot hot tubs run in the 100 - 105 degree F range. Not hot enough to kill pathogens, which are very happy a 98.6F.

Legionella is a different world from intestinal pathogens.

And mainly affects those who are immune compromised in some way. Remember where it was discovered, at an American Legion gathering. Older population, many long time smokers, staying up all hours, drinking too much, not eating properly.

Hmmm, sounds like a good part of a typical cruise population. Most healthy people get a disease called Pontiac fever, which is a moderate flu like disease. Not fun, but not life threatening.

Legionella is inhaled. So a hot tub with the aerated jets is not good. But it can be easily controlled, if the hot tub is maintained properly (temp and treatments).

Try taking her on Anthem. Plenty to do without swimming. I know you will miss sitting by the pool but you can enjoy swimming in port. If you don't take her to the pool she won't know it's there. We have a severely autistic grandson who is now 18 but can't always be trusted to let someone know he needs to use the bathroom so may have an accident. He also loves water but doesn't get taken to the pool deck.

I totally agree

The anthem has lots of areas that would be pleasing to her visual and auditory senses. You could likely skip the pool deck if you needed to. May be a nice compromise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A woman I date has a little girl (14 yo) with several mental health issues, incl an undersized brain that causes her not to be able to talk. She also is not 100% potty trained and has to wear a diaper. We have talked of going on a cruise, but it would break her little heart not to be able to swim in the pool. However, I would never take the chance of her having an accident. It is just not an option, so we don't cruise as a family...

There are lots of things to do besides swim. I rarely swim on a cruise, and when I do it’s never for long. I would take her to Alaska where she can hide that diaper under hiking pants.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are lots of things to do besides swim. I rarely swim on a cruise, and when I do it’s never for long. I would take her to Alaska where she can hide that diaper under hiking pants.

Still a tough issue as she is special needs. She loves to swim in our pool at home, and if I took her up to the pool deck, she wouldn't understand why she couldn't jump in the pool.... I have no interest in an Alaska cruise, I normally go to Southern or Western Caribbean.

Sherry, that's a good suggestion. Maybe we are over dramatizing this a bit. I would just hate for one of us to not be able to go to the pool deck because our SN child can't go. Something to think about. Thanks.

I don't know if it's a coincidence but I've only experienced this on Royal ship's, that or were cruising with the wrong people.

I've seen where they drained the pool and give it a good scrubbing before starting it up again. In this case, the boys just came out, scooped up the evidence, poured 30 gallons of Chlorine in and let it filter over night. There's not enough Chlorine in the world to get me back in those pools. I'll be taking showers to cool off from now on.

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

I have only witnessed this on a Carnival ship. I have only been on one Carnival ship versus the 7 RCL ships I have been on.

How does this even happen? Bathing suits for girls are usually tight to the thigh and don't the boys ones have a liner in them to keep 'items' in place? I don't get it. Even if its a swim diaper thing, they are tight to the leg. Almost afraid to ask but how?

Most cruise lines, incl RCI, ban anyone wearing a swim diaper from entering a pool. Some lines, like Disney, have water play areas for kids that permit swim diapers.

Anthem has a splash pool for babies/toddlers in swim diapers.

Anthem has a splash pool for babies/toddlers in swim diapers.

All ships with a separate splash or child's pool should allow babies/toddlers with swim diapers. I don't get it.

It's not just toddlers either, that have accidents. On our last cruise, with no children in the pool they still had to drain and scrub the main pool. Apparently, during the volleyball game someone got cut and bled in the pool, hence the sanitizing.

But, if one of the many 90 yo on our cruise, had a 'pee' accident or 'poo' accident in their bathing suit, who would have known? We all would have been swimming or in the hot tub, unknowingly, with it.

Allow swim diapers in a child's pool, on a ship, and parents can act accordingly. And it keeps the youngsters out of the adult pools and hot tubs.

... But, if one of the many 90 yo on our cruise, had a 'pee' accident or 'poo' accident in their bathing suit, who would have known? ...

If the lifeguards suspect any fecal matter in the pool, they kick everyone out and the pool has to be cleaned. Pool was closed until the next morning. Happened to us on Oasis last summer.

All ships with a separate splash or child's pool should allow babies/toddlers with swim diapers. I don't get it.

Allow swim diapers in a child's pool, on a ship, and parents can act accordingly. And it keeps the youngsters out of the adult pools and hot tubs.

The problem is that splash areas that allow swim diapers have been designed for this, and built for it at the time the ship was built. Retrofitting the required new systems would be prohibitive, which is why its not done. Retrofitting would require new pumps, new filters, a totally new UV sterilizer system, as well as automated shut down systems, and an additional crew member assigned strictly to the splash area, not as a lifeguard for the pools.

How does this even happen? Bathing suits for girls are usually tight to the thigh and don't the boys ones have a liner in them to keep 'items' in place? I don't get it. Even if its a swim diaper thing, they are tight to the leg. Almost afraid to ask but how?

They may contain solids but definitely not bacteria. Think fecal tea.

The problem is that splash areas that allow swim diapers have been designed for this, and built for it at the time the ship was built. Retrofitting the required new systems would be prohibitive, which is why its not done. Retrofitting would require new pumps, new filters, a totally new UV sterilizer system, as well as automated shut down systems, and an additional crew member assigned strictly to the splash area, not as a lifeguard for the pools.

Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me. Four years ago, we cruised on the Explorer with our 2.5 yo grandson and although he was toilet trained, the full time crew member at the separate kiddie pool asked every adult with a child, if the child was wearing a swim diaper since they were not allowed. So I assume, although there was a full time crew member assigned to the kiddie pool, it was not retrofitted with all the new equipment needed for proper sanitation.

Now, I have another question... Why then, is the 'no kids rule' on certain hot tubs, not enforced?

Two years ago (and prior Majesty, Explorer), we were on Liberty there were children and infants who were clearly not trained, in the hot tubs. Last year we cruised Anthem twice, and I did not note the main pool area hot tubs because we enjoyed the Solarium hot tubs...especially at night after dinner. As I said before, I could not bear to use the hot tubs on Grandeur last month, because of very high usage of very elderly people. I just couldn't get my head wrapped around that.

BTW, my husband and I are engineers and we have a hot tub at home. As you can understand we are meticulous with the cleaning, care, sanitation, even the temperature control of our tub. Personally, we will not go in any hot tub that we cannot verify the quality of sanitation and upkeep.

Next year we will be trying the NCL Escape when it comes to NY, although RCI is our preferred cruise line. They have a feature in their adult deck area, that incorporates showers and tunnels set in a natural rock setting that I am looking forward to using. Maybe RCI can consider this type of feature for adults only too? Hint, hint.