Showing up on Dock

bupch63919

Passenger manifests must be submitted to Homeland Security 72 hours before sailing so there's no longer the ability to just walk to a port and get on any mainline cruise ship. As for those Discovery/Seaescape cruises, not for me or anyone I know. Those seem nothing more than rustbuckets.

As for those Discovery/Seaescape cruises, not for me or anyone I know. Those seem nothing more than rustbuckets.
I believe they are also not cruises in the usual sense; they do not have overnight accomodations, and thus they are more of passenger ferry than a real cruise. Which is probably why they don't have a manifest requirement.

I believe they are also not cruises in the usual sense; they do not have overnight accomodations, and thus they are more of passenger ferry than a real cruise. Which is probably why they don't have a manifest requirement.

For sea carriers, Advance Passenger Information System (APIS) rule by Immigration, states that a vessel on a voyage of: (1) 96 hours or more must submit the information required in the crewmember and passenger manifests at least 96 hours before entering the port or place of destination; (2) less than 96 hours but not less than 24 hours must submit the crewmember and passenger manifests not less than 24 hours before entering the port or place of destination; or (3) less than 24 hours must submit the crewmember and passenger manifests prior to departing the port or place of departure.

Airlines are required to submit their manifests 15 minutes before departure. Perhaps cruise lines will have that ability again someday and dockside cabin sales will resume. Probably not in my lifetime ;)

Recently, a family member was able to book a Carnival cruise sailing the following day. It was a spur-of-the-moment decision. He and his teenage son obtained their docs at checkin and were able to board, altho their names did not appear on the manifest. Granted, they did not just appear at the pier without reservations, but their booking was made less than 24 hrs in advance. :confused:

Archived