Snorkeling in Cozumel or Roatan? And, Mahogany Bay

ntourtelotte

We are sailing the Breeze in April going to Cozumel, Belize City and Mahogany Bay. There are six of us. My family (2 boys ages 10 and 13) and my mother and father in law.

We are thinking of going to Chankanab in Cozumel for a beach day and then Mayan Ruins in Belize City.

Thinking about Daniel Johnson's Monkey and Sloth hangout in Roatan. I was just reading their options about city tour, beach, and snorkeling.

Here are some questions-

I think we will pay to snorkel once, either a Chankanab where we can rent snorkel gear or add that to the Daniel Johnson tour. My boys have never snorkeled before and I don't think my husband's parents have either. Which place would be better to snorkel? Thinking better both in terms of what there is to see and where someone can guide/help out those who haven't done it before.

It sounds like there is a free beach in Mahogany Bay? If we decide to snorkel in Cozumel, can we swim there after Daniel Johnson if we decide to just do the Monkey Hangout and not the city tour that includes beach? Is there advantages or disadvantages to that?

Other suggestions of things that would be fun and affordable?

We are sailing the Breeze in April going to Cozumel, Belize City and Mahogany Bay. There are six of us. My family (2 boys ages 10 and 13) and my mother and father in law.

We are thinking of going to Chankanab in Cozumel for a beach day and then Mayan Ruins in Belize City.

Thinking about Daniel Johnson's Monkey and Sloth hangout in Roatan. I was just reading their options about city tour, beach, and snorkeling.

Here are some questions-

I think we will pay to snorkel once, either a Chankanab where we can rent snorkel gear or add that to the Daniel Johnson tour. My boys have never snorkeled before and I don't think my husband's parents have either. Which place would be better to snorkel? Thinking better both in terms of what there is to see and where someone can guide/help out those who haven't done it before.

It sounds like there is a free beach in Mahogany Bay? If we decide to snorkel in Cozumel, can we swim there after Daniel Johnson if we decide to just do the Monkey Hangout and not the city tour that includes beach? Is there advantages or disadvantages to that?

Check the shipmate app. Lots of really good and cheap shore excursions.

https://shipmateapp.com

In Roatan we did the Tabyana beach break excursion (through Carnival) and it was the best snorkeling we've ever experienced. Tons of amazing, beautiful fish, and right off the beach. There are also locals with kayaks who you can hire on the spot to guide you out to and past the reef. If you're considering snorkeling, Roatan is known as a great spot for it. [emoji267]

Sent from my SM-N950W using Forums mobile app

Here are some questions-

Without a doubt look at Victor boddens best of Roatan tour. We have done about 5 or 6 times with them. Just google him and it'll pop up. They know all the great places to see and go. We snorkeled in waist high water and saw many amazing fish, we ate $2 lobster tacos :)

They cater your day to what your family likes and wants to do and see

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Forums mobile app

The snorkeling from the beach at Mahogany Bay isn't great. You'd want to go somewhere else in Roatan for good snorkeling. Chankanaab is interesting for snorkeling, but the water is sometimes rough there. They have underwater sculptures, which are neat. You don't see the variety of fish you do at a coral reef.