7 ships departing out of port Everglades

patjeblauw

we are sailing on the Allure of the Seas on the 25th of february. I now see that there are 7 cruise ships leaving that day from Port Everglades. We have a rental car and I had planned to drop off my family at the port and then return the rental with Alamo at their location just outside the port and then shuttle back. With so many ships in port I am wondering if it might not be better to return the car to the aiport and take a taxi from there all together to avoid that I will be stuck in heavy traffic into the port after returning the rental. What do you think we should do?

we are sailing on the Allure of the Seas on the 25th of february. I now see that there are 7 cruise ships leaving that day from Port Everglades. We have a rental car and I had planned to drop off my family at the port and then return the rental with Alamo at their location just outside the port and then shuttle back. With so many ships in port I am wondering if it might not be better to return the car to the aiport and take a taxi from there all together to avoid that I will be stuck in heavy traffic into the port after returning the rental. What do you think we should do?

Should not be a problem to drop the family first and then take the rental car back. We do it all the time with that many ships in port..

Whether in a taxi or rental car shuttle the traffic you have to worry about is at the security gate on Eller Drive; you will be taking that entrance to the Port whether returning from the airport location or the on-street Alamo location. So no real need to change your plans.

And my searching only turned up six ships on that date: Celebrity Silhouette, Eurodam, Koningsdam, Regal Princess, Allure of the Seas, and Freedom of the Seas. Many of the ship-schedule search engines list ships twice for the same departure day if a back-to-back is also being sold as a single sailing for that date.

The issue (if you can even call it that) that we faced returning our rental car around 12pm on embarkation day was that a lot of people obviously had the same idea, so the line at the car rental office for the shuttle was very long and out along the sidewalk. However they were well prepared for this rush so they had very frequent shuttles. One would leave full and the next one would be waiting right behind it. The line moved very fast.

Overall it only took a few extra minutes to return the car in the middle of the rush, but nothing that would’ve made me go through the extra trouble of returning the car at a different location and then taking a taxi over. But be aware it will be crowded, even if everything is moving efficiently.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks everyone for the advise. We will stick to our original plan to drop of family first and then return the car on Eller Dr. And we will go a little bit earlier to the port as we had first planned. Only 67 days to go!!!

Patricia

I have always dropped off the luggage at the pier then return the rental car. Your life will be much easier not having to move 50 pound suitcases a few more times. As far getting into the port, make sure you have your passport handy for every person. The backup to get in could be anywhere from 5 - 30 minutes depending on what time you drive in