How many ways can MSC Divina screw up?

marciadmd

Are you serious? So, a cruise line is responsible to get you to your car once you leave a ship?

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that, but I think it’s a reasonable expectation that you will embark and disembark from same terminal on a round trip 7 day cruise. If you don’t, I think it’s also a reasonable expectation for the cruise line to advise you of the change in terminals and outline transportation options to get you back to your car.

As I mentioned before it’s quite possible MSC did all the above and the OP missed it or did not pay attention. Every other line I’ve sailed has certainly done so on the rare occasions it happened.

Are you kidding me? You post a thread with that provocative title just because you had to walk/cab it to your garage? You didn't mention your experience on the cruise itself. Are there other ways you feel MSC Divina "screwed up?. Inquiring minds want to know. We LOVED the Divina. Sailing on Seaside in March.

I agree. One post total and a bunch of a rant on things that could be worked around with less time then spent writing a post here.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that, but I think it’s a reasonable expectation that you will embark and disembark from same terminal on a round trip 7 day cruise. If you don’t, I think it’s also a reasonable expectation for the cruise line to advise you of the change in terminals and outline transportation options to get you back to your car. As I mentioned before it’s quite possible MSC did all the above and the OP missed it or did not pay attention. Every other line I’ve sailed has certainly done so on the rare occasions it happened.

I am not flaming you or being funny. However, Yes, reasonable expectation on Pier. However, what would you suggest as an outline of Transportation options to get you back to your car?

How many people park at the pier and where do they park at the pier?

Can we not think for ourselves anymore and come up with a solution of getting from point A to point B without some help? Been to both Port Everglades and Port of Miami. They are big, but not a major geographic location that would necessitate a guide to get one to your car.

Traveled around the world and visited many ports. Cruise lines provide tours you pay for. However, many times if you did not take a tour, you were on your own to find the town after you get off the ship.

This is totally overblown by someone who is still lost and trying to find his car.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays!!!

I am not flaming you or being funny. However, Yes, reasonable expectation on Pier. However, what would you suggest as an outline of Transportation options to get you back to your car?

How many people park at the pier and where do they park at the pier?

!!!

By outline of transportation options I’m taking about a shuttle and where it can be picked up from.

I live in Fort Lauderdale and take a lot of cruises from both Port Everglades and PortMiami. I almost always park at the pier. In Miami fairly recently on a Fathom cruise we departed from Terminal J which is a sole terminal over by the Royal Caribbean headquarters and returned to terminal F. You really can’t walk between them as there is a fairly major highway that runs down the center of PortMiami. Fathom advised us of the change in terminal and shuttle options to get us to the garage we parked at.

Likewise in Port Everglades, the Port is massive and divided into South Port, Mid Port and North Port. On a Princess Cruise we left from the usual Terminal 2 located in North Port. We returned to Pier 21 in Mid Port and it’s quite a distance. Again Princess made the effort to advise everyone about the terminal change and outlined the shuttle operation that would take you back to your original parking garage and where the shuttle left from.

Hopefully this clarifies it and again I don’t think it’s asking too much. As I am very familiar with both ports I know all the terminals and where I am at all times. For someone not familiar with the Port it could be confusing especially if you were expecting to dock at the same place you left from and were not advised otherwise.

I can also tell you South Florida taxi and Uber drivers would be reluctant to take you between terminals as it’s lousy business for them. Too short of a drive but too long for walking especially with a lot of luggage.

Fully understand your experiences. There are always exceptions. However, we don't live in Florida, but cruise out of PE and POM at least 6 times a year. We use both of those ports and even go from PE to POM to board different ships. This isn't a perfect world and at times mistakes are made. Cruise lines are not perfect. Things happen. Read this one:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2540030

People had to make their way from a much greater distance in a foreign country. Now that is something to be concerned about. We were in Costa Rica and know what that would cause.

Yes, you can get a cab as we have done it before. We went from Pier 2 to Pier 23 in PE. I gave the cab $10.00. So, it is not impossible. We took Uber from PE to POM in Nov 2017. The Uber driver stated that to go from F to B in POM would not be a problem either.

Lets move on. We have beaten it to a slow walk and my GPS is running low. LOL

By outline of transportation options I’m taking about a shuttle and where it can be picked up from.

I live in Fort Lauderdale and take a lot of cruises from both Port Everglades and PortMiami. I almost always park at the pier. In Miami fairly recently on a Fathom cruise we departed from Terminal J which is a sole terminal over by the Royal Caribbean headquarters and returned to terminal F. You really can’t walk between them as there is a fairly major highway that runs down the center of PortMiami. Fathom advised us of the change in terminal and shuttle options to get us to the garage we parked at.

Likewise in Port Everglades, the Port is massive and divided into South Port, Mid Port and North Port. On a Princess Cruise we left from the usual Terminal 2 located in North Port. We returned to Pier 21 in Mid Port and it’s quite a distance. Again Princess made the effort to advise everyone about the terminal change and outlined the shuttle operation that would take you back to your original parking garage and where the shuttle left from.

Hopefully this clarifies it and again I don’t think it’s asking too much. As I am very familiar with both ports I know all the terminals and where I am at all times. For someone not familiar with the Port it could be confusing especially if you were expecting to dock at the same place you left from and were not advised otherwise.

I can also tell you South Florida taxi and Uber drivers would be reluctant to take you between terminals as it’s lousy business for them. Too short of a drive but too long for walking especially with a lot of luggage.

Fully understand your experiences. There are always exceptions. However, we don't live in Florida, but cruise out of PE and POM at least 6 times a year. We use both of those ports and even go from PE to POM to board different ships. This isn't a perfect world and at times mistakes are made. Cruise lines are not perfect. Things happen.

Of course there are worse circumstances. There are always going to be worse circumstances but my point is I feel the cruise company has a basic responsibility to advise passengers of where they will be disembarking. If its somewhere different, then if nothing more than a common courtesy point it out. If there were a gate change for a flight I would certainly expect to be advised.

As I mentioned before it’s quite possible MSC did make all the advisements and the OP either didn’t pay attention or didn’t read the disembarkation information. If that is the case they have no one but themselves to blame. Honestly that is what I’m betting on. If in fact MSC made zero attempt at informing passengers of the arrival terminal and that it would be different than the embarking terminal then MSC was at fault, and I think the OP had a right to be pissed.

I’ll also mention I take Uber and Lyft often in Miami and Fort Lauderdale. Trust me they have sneaky ways of refusing the fare if the destination is not to their liking. I’ve experienced it more than once unfortunately but thankfully it’s not the norm.

eroller- Thank you for your thoughtful and informative posts and explaining better than I could. I believe from the roll call that we are going to be on Seaside the same week (January 20th). Hope to see you at the Meet & Mingle!

Thank you! Yes I’m really looking forward to it and perhaps we will even embark and disembark from the same terminal! Lol.

See you onboard soon!

We were on same cruise and here’s what we experienced. Information in daily on docking terminal was wrong. We had parked in garage G and were at terminal B. When we got to area for walking off ship, it was two steep sets of stairs to walk down with carry on luggage. As we started down, two shore side workers rushed over to take our bags. We are 76&79 and hubby was struggling with his, so we were thankful for the help. We were also thankful it was not raining!! Upon exiting terminal, we asked about shuttle to garage and were directed to a free bus. Driver loaded luggage and unloaded it at garage. Tipped him a few dollars. It took us an hour to get out of the garage and through payment booth due to only one of the elevators working for all passengers that parked in garage G. Second worst disembarkion experience in over 40 cruises! On the other hand, we had a great cruise and wished we had booked the following week.

We were on same cruise and here’s what we experienced. Information in daily on docking terminal was wrong. We had parked in garage G and were at terminal B. When we got to area for walking off ship, it was two steep sets of stairs to walk down with carry on luggage. As we started down, two shore side workers rushed over to take our bags. We are 76&79 and hubby was struggling with his, so we were thankful for the help. We were also thankful it was not raining!! Upon exiting terminal, we asked about shuttle to garage and were directed to a free bus. Driver loaded luggage and unloaded it at garage. Tipped him a few dollars. It took us an hour to get out of the garage and through payment booth due to only one of the elevators working for all passengers that parked in garage G. Second worst disembarkion experience in over 40 cruises! On the other hand, we had a great cruise and wished we had booked the following week.

Thanks so much for posting your experience. On the one hand it doesn't sound nearly as bad as the OP presented it, and on the other no doubt MSC could have done a better job.

Glad you enjoyed the cruise!