Standards dropping or simply changing times?

AchileLauro

I find it annoying when people are on their cell phones at the dinner table however I've learned to look away . Is it just as irritating when a person who is dining alone is reading a book ? If not , why not ? As far as dress codes it is up to the establishment to regulate what is acceptable because anything goes these days . This is how to spell dessert and dining .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by NHProud

I find it annoying when people are on their cell phones at the dinner table however I've learned to look away . Is it just as irritating when a person who is dining alone is reading a book ? If not , why not ? As far as dress codes it is up to the establishment to regulate what is acceptable because anything goes these days . This is how to spell dessert and dining .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having spent my working life travelling the world I think that it is acceptable to have a book at hand if dining alone. I have invariably taken a book into restaurants when I have been alone. I would always order my meal and then read until it was served. I would never judge anyone reading if they are alone as I know from experience that waiting for 30 minutes or more for a meal with nothing to do other than watch other people eat is not nice. There is rarely anything interesting to look at in restaurants and looking at walls or a table is boring. On the other hand I would never take a book if I was eating with someone else as I think that it is incredibly rude to ignore the other people at you table.

I have to say that the only place in the world where I sat down alone and never read was when I was working in China for a month because there was so much going on in their restaurants that it was entertaining to look around.