Gluten Free Experience

Suna

A friend that I will be cruising with has Celiac disease and therefore can not eat gluten. We are all new to cruising and will be on the Escape shortly. Anyone else had to stay clear of gluten while on a cruise .... would love to hear your tips and experiences.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

NCL are usually very good! There were loads of things in even the buffet on my last cruise. (although if I was you I would ask for a crew member to bring out a fresh portion due to possible contamination in the buffet)

you need to make sure ncl access desk is aware of the need for a special diet prior to your cruise. This is so they can make sure the ship has plenty of gluten free supplies, bread, pasta etc. Once on board, you will either have a message on your stateroom phone with arrangements on how to meet the maire'd to discuss menus. (otherwise ask at guest services) Usually they ask special diets to pick a day in advance to allow them to prepare the food in the diet area free from allergens. Which is ok if you are willing to plan the time of the meals each day. There may be naturally gluten free options on the menus, but there is always a risk of contamination when prepared in busy kitchens and not in the diet part. I'm sure there will be plenty of options... Gluten free is very common these days!

i'm a dietitian - i wouldn't risk teppanyaki as a coeliac, as all the food is cooked on a hot plate, it won't neccesarily be spotlessly cleaned between reservations as it won't be cooled and then reheated for the next group... too high a chance of cross contamination. I would check with access desk now to see if this is a restaurant that can be made gluten free first.

i'm a dietitian - i wouldn't risk teppanyaki as a coeliac, as all the food is cooked on a hot plate, it won't neccesarily be spotlessly cleaned between reservations as it won't be cooled and then reheated for the next group... too high a chance of cross contamination. I would check with access desk now to see if this is a restaurant that can be made gluten free first.

Dd15 has celiac, eats habachi all of the time, her favorite. Her food is prepared in the back with gluten free soy sauce. When cruising, all of her food is prepared in a separate kitchen, it’s pretty amazing. She would order her breakfast and dinner the day before, she’d just call when leaving the cabin, and say where she’d be dining (on our last cruise, overflow buffet in moderno for breakfast, Grand Pacifica for dinner). She ate like a queen, breakfast was always a giant tray of food, eggs Benedict, pancakes, French toast, muffins, 5’5”, 100 pounds, she went to town!

We were just on the Jade, I am both gluten and lactose intolerant, had a fantastic time. As mentioned above, notify when you book of your dietary requirements and contact the maitre d on embarkation about your needs. The great thing about Norwegian is the way they will sort out your meals in any restaurant as long as you select them the day before. The buffet and breakfast were no problem, and our lovely special diets waiter Jocelyn followed the special diets people around the ship with her menus. I even had gluten and dairy free creme brûlée, fabulous. It does help of course making sensible choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I sailed on the POA last year with gluten, dairy and nut intolerance. I notified the special needs department ahead of time. I ate like a queen and also ate at Teppanyaki. They did make my food on the hibachi with gf soy sauce and no butter, but I am not celiac.

I chose my meals ahead of time. The staff were wonderful. We are sailing on the Jade in March so I am glad the staff is attentive.

You will be in good hands. Just make sure you contact the special needs department ahead of time with enough gluten free items. Have a wonderful cruise!

Any tips for gluten free snacks and treats on NCL ships?

We found coffee shops on RCCL ships have gluten free cookies if you ask for them. And you can ask in the buffet for gluten free toasts or pancakes and they make it in the back and bring them to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any tips for gluten free snacks and treats on NCL ships?

We found coffee shops on RCCL ships have gluten free cookies if you ask for them. And you can ask in the buffet for gluten free toasts or pancakes and they make it in the back and bring them to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The dietary guy brought dd flourless chocolate cake from somewhere, we were jealous. Here’s something I wish I found earlier:

http://www.anestingnomad.com/2017/01/how-to-find-gluten-free-food-on-the-norwegian-cruise-lines-jewel.html/

We didn’t eat at Moderno on our last cruise, I would’ve asked for the rolls from there.

I too have celiac and cruised quite happily and gained weight! On the first day, the restaurant manager on Getaway called our room to arrange a meeting. That first night in the MDR all went smoothly. I did not preorder every meal, although it was an option. But every waiter in every restaurant referred to my special needs and ensured I had exactly what I needed. The gluten free rolls from Moderno were brought to me at every meal regardless of the restaurant. Those little buggers are super addictive lol. As an aside, they sell them at Costco...so sad and happy I discovered them there.

I also have several other life threatening food allergies and not once did I have a reaction. I even ate in the buffet a few times...salads and breakfast items when first unsealed by workers (waited and watched them unseal, but I am up early at 5)

I cruise again on the Getaway in 3 weeks and plan to do a food review including my special diet restrictions as part of my review. Your friend should not have any problems at all, and should be quite satisfied with the options!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Dd15 has celiac, eats habachi all of the time, her favorite. Her food is prepared in the back with gluten free soy sauce. When cruising, all of her food is prepared in a separate kitchen, it’s pretty amazing. She would order her breakfast and dinner the day before, she’d just call when leaving the cabin, and say where she’d be dining (on our last cruise, overflow buffet in moderno for breakfast, Grand Pacifica for dinner). She ate like a queen, breakfast was always a giant tray of food, eggs Benedict, pancakes, French toast, muffins, 5’5”, 100 pounds, she went to town!

Having sailed with a coeliac on my last cruise, their teppanyaki was prepared first but on the same grill as all other guests (slightly awkward as they were tucking in a long time before anyone else). We had to dine at first sitting (5:30) to prevent cross contamination. this was on EPIC not Escape though. For all other restaurants they can prepare the food in the diet kitchen. Teppanyaki on NCL is all about the show of the food prep, hence it isn't prepared in the back.

Thanks for the link, we are looking at the Jewel for our next cruise, I am relieved to hear it will be handled in the same way as the Jade.

The dietary guy brought dd flourless chocolate cake from somewhere, we were jealous. Here’s something I wish I found earlier:

http://www.anestingnomad.com/2017/01/how-to-find-gluten-free-food-on-the-norwegian-cruise-lines-jewel.html/

We didn’t eat at Moderno on our last cruise, I would’ve asked for the rolls from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Having sailed with a coeliac on my last cruise, their teppanyaki was prepared first but on the same grill as all other guests (slightly awkward as they were tucking in a long time before anyone else). We had to dine at first sitting (5:30) to prevent cross contamination. this was on EPIC not Escape though. For all other restaurants they can prepare the food in the diet kitchen. Teppanyaki on NCL is all about the show of the food prep, hence it isn't prepared in the back.

All habachi is about the show, land based ones are just more entertaining (because they can use fire). Dd has been to a few (we have several close by), and her food has always been prepared in the kitchen, and brought out when everyone starts to get served the main course.