Question

Crazy

American Express sent me the information that came from Holland America I think but I can't find my information.

I thought I put it with my documents but evidently I didn't. I cruise Holland America -- over 50 days but this is the first time I have gotten something like this. It might be something for American Express traveler but I am almost sure it came from Holland America.

My guess is that a Mariner Host is a single man, likely in his 50's or 60's, who has been hired to entertain the single ladies by providing company, dancing, etc... They typically are given free trips in order to make the cruise more enjoyable for solo travelers, a large portion of the cruising population. My guess is that the hosts are hired only for those cruises where there is a significant number of passengers traveling solo. Now... this could be totally off-base, because it is a guess. But, it makes sense to me. Particularly with HAL's reputation as a line catering to older guests..

My guess is that a Mariner Host is a single man, likely in his 50's or 60's, who has been hired to entertain the single ladies by providing company, dancing, etc... They typically are given free trips in order to make the cruise more enjoyable for solo travelers, a large portion of the cruising population. My guess is that the hosts are hired only for those cruises where there is a significant number of passengers traveling solo. Now... this could be totally off-base, because it is a guess. But, it makes sense to me. Particularly with HAL's reputation as a line catering to older guests..

Interesting concept but not traveling alone. Should prove interesting -- will let everyone know what is going on when I return.

I don't think it's anything to do with American Express. KK and I are both AmEx and neither of us have heard of it.

I just received our docs for January VODM and haven't seen anything about it during my brief glance throgh the docs.

Golden Bear Travel, Marin Co., CA., used to provide "hosts" on their group sailings, and they have been bought out by American Express.

They had a club called "Mariners' Club", but I don't believe it is still functioning.

Golden Bear Travel, Marin Co., CA., used to provide "hosts" on their group sailings, and they have been bought out by American Express.

They had a club called "Mariners' Club", but I don't believe it is still functioning.

You are correct it was from Golden Bear Travel. The strange thing is that my TA at American Express forwarded go me and it was dated in November 2005. I do not know when AE bought out Golden Bear Travel.

I always use AE and I made my reservations for this cruise back in February and AE always keeps me updated on my reservation and if any changes are made etc. Upgrade -- and I was upgraded.

Take care

Archived