Looking for General Answers about HAL

FreesiaE

I guess you are either having a senior moment or you and I have been on different cruises and different ships.

We have always had a show at 10 pm in the showroom and usually at least one is a comedian.

Usually, when there is a an old movie, it is to correspond with the port and some may be fun - but the show is still on.

Of course we only cruised last March - May, 2017 so we may be out of date. But trust me, I will report in May, 2018 when we board your favourite HAL ship and mine ;)

The 10PM shows are just the normal show (for late diners) and merely a repeat of the 8 pm shows (when the CD uses that schedule. On ships that have real adult comedy (we are talking about oft offensive jokes and some adult language) the shows are usually at 11 or 11:30....intended to be after children are asleep. But on HAL a show that late would probably find most cruisers asleep :).

Hank

Sorry this is a late response, but I recall several HAL cruises with comedienne Julie Barr. She did a routine suitable for general audiences, and then a late night routine for adults. She was a lot of fun, both on stage and in person. Is she still around on HAL?

We have actually seen Julie Barr on at least 2 cruises (not sure they were HAL ships) and its hard to forget her hair. She is certainly talented..but I do not recall her ever doing a true adult show on HAL.

Hank

Sorry this is a late response, but I recall several HAL cruises with comedienne Julie Barr. She did a routine suitable for general audiences, and then a late night routine for adults. She was a lot of fun, both on stage and in person. Is she still around on HAL?

You are correct of course, OADM, Julie Barr (think purple hair) used to have a late nite "adults only" show on the HAL ships at 11:00 pm. She hasn't performed on the dam ships for about a couple of years now. Not sure if she's still sailing on other lines

julie-barr.jpg

You are correct of course, OADM, Julie Barr (think purple hair) used to have a late nite "adults only" show on the HAL ships at 11:00 pm. She hasn't performed on the dam ships for about a couple of years now. Not sure if she's still sailing on other lines

julie-barr.jpg

We enjoyed seeing her show on a HAL ship -- once. We then saw her a few more times and not only was the material pretty much the same each time, the jokes were ones that had been around for years!

We are grateful to see newer comedians on the ships -- but still wish the 10 p.m. show could be reserved for adults.

I had a great and lengthy conversation with a HAL comedian, and honestly, I'm surprised if HAL will take the risk of having that kind of entertainment (especially one geared to adults). When people complain to HAL that they were offended, HAL apologizes profusely, sometimes giving OBC or something to make it up to them and then has a talk with the performer, making them cut that joke. They have had (at least) one passenger threaten to sue, and were comped a cruise. Or so the legend goes! It really sounds like their creativity is hampered and it has gotten much worse as time goes on -- especially since people try to find ways to complain to get something in return.

I love comedy, and am not easily offended, but I don't think that is true of most of the passengers on HAL. Finding a comedy act that does not use foul language, sexual references or plays on stereotypes, is pretty rare these days. And probably not really that funny when they have so many rules to play by.

......................... Finding a comedy act that does not use foul language, sexual references or plays on stereotypes, is pretty rare these days. And probably not really that funny when they have so many rules to play by.

Even seen Kevin Jordan, the former LAPD cop with the stream (flash) light? Funny as heck!

Even seen Kevin Jordan, the former LAPD cop with the stream (flash) light? Funny as heck!

We saw him on the Eurodam last month. You are right, he IS funny. It was obvious, however, that he self-censored after spotting kids aged 8, 10 and 12 in the audience at the 10 p.m. show.