Cozumel and Costa Maya

macgirl

Grrrr. I don't know how I got on the "wrong" side of this issue, I think that you have misinterpreted what I said, at every port we stopped at there was hurricane damage including Costa Maya, no it was not even close to Cozumel but there was some damage. Get off the ship was my message to the OP because I was there last week and it was ok. If your response was I was there four months ago and I loved it that doesn’t answer the OP’s question things change when hurricanes go through and the OP was looking for opinions of people who ad been there recently, which some of you have. I also know for a fact that some of the “natives’ in Costa Maya post on these boards with there “information” about certain areas over other areas.

I was there, minor damage, some debris on the beach I was on, get off the boat and enjoy.

Let the flames begin

I was on the same cruise as TheBeachBears. We had different perspectives on some aspects of the trip, but trust me...they are on target with Cozumel description. In fact, I would say Cozumel was DEVESTATED. We rented a jeep a drove to several spots on the island, including the resort district on the other side of town from the pier. It is a MESS...buildings gutted, hotels closed, trees down. I was amazed at the condition of the place, and it will take years for them to recover.

The weather was windy the day we were there, so dive and snorkeling excursions were mostly cancelled...which is why we rented the jeep. There is decent shopping in town, and its nice to see the people there making the best of a tough situation. I agree with a previous poster who mentioned that you'll want to help these folks, and their economy, when you get off the ship. Short of that, and particularly if the weather isn't right, I wouldn't blame someone for electing to stay on the boat.

I did not like Costa Maya. I thought it was a tourist trip. I've been amazed by the posters talking about what a WONDERFUL day at the beach they had at Costa Maya. Perhaps, but the beach was littered with debris on the day we were there. The cruise port is a major tourist trap...and keep in mind, while you're there, that the merchants in town (including cab drivers) are shut out from the port terminal "compound". They (the local government in cahoots with RCCL and the port developer)are perfectly content to keep all your tourist dollars to themselves and contained withing their "fake" town. Outside of the port, very little is being spent on the roads, infrastructure, etc. It is exploitive, appalling, and RCCL regularly gets a free ride on the boards for participating in this shameful racket. You'd never see something like that in the U.S.

As you can tell, I'm a little shy......

I have heard a lot of people talking about renting jeeps in Cozumel. Do you have to rent them ahead of time, where do you do it and how much? I'm going to be there in Feb and would like to know what to do while I'm there. My husband and I will definitely get off the ship, why go on a cruise if you don't visit the ports?!?! Anyway...any info you can share would be helpful! Thanks:)

I was in Costa Maya a week ago today (sniff). We LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT.... in fact, it was our favorite port. I saw no signs of hurricane damage at all and we rented a golf cart and drove around some.

We went down to Majuhual to Pez Cuadro and drank cervezas, rode jet-skis, frolicked in the ocean, teased and were teased by the vendors and just had a wonderful day!

I have heard a lot of people talking about renting jeeps in Cozumel. Do you have to rent them ahead of time, where do you do it and how much? I'm going to be there in Feb and would like to know what to do while I'm there. My husband and I will definitely get off the ship, why go on a cruise if you don't visit the ports?!?! Anyway...any info you can share would be helpful! Thanks:)

You can rent right at the pier....Hertz, Avis, and local operators are all there. Approx. $55 for the day. Easily done and plenty available. We didn't reserve prior. They'll take your credit card.

Be very careful driving around Cozumel. Streets are narrow and crowded with lots of aggressive scooter traffic, weaving in/out and between cars. If you're not the adventurous sort, I wouldn't rent. If you are (and a good driver), its sort of a hoot....that is, unless you wreck the jeep (or it breaks down). Just accept that there are real risks involved, and give yourself PLENTY of contigency time so that you can make your last tender if something goes wrong. Missing your boat is an expensive mistake.

Ask the locals for directions to Los Chosas restaurant. (They will know of it.) Its in the town area, well known around town, and a terrific Mexican meal....one of the best I had on our cruise. You can use your credit card there, except for tip where you'll need US$$.

As for what to do, I'd snorkel or do some water related activity if the weather is nice. If not, I'd commit to prowling the shops and finding a good place to eat. With the present damaged condition of Cozumel (which I promise you, won't change materially by February), those are your best bets.

Have fun!

Just got back from Cozumel and yes there is a lot of devestation but almost everything was reopened. Had a great day at Playa Mia. Other than stripped trees everything there was wonderful. Now the drive down to Playa Mia was shocking. Buildings gutted, no trees standing above maybe 6 feet. Chanakaab appeared to be reopen as there were signs at the pier to take people to Chanakaab (can't verify that though). Carlos and Charlies and Senor Frogs were still closed. In the downtown area, buildings that were still standing had been stripped of their facades.

Still, I had as great a time in Cozumel last week as I did 2 years ago.

I just got of the Grandeur off the Seas today. I had a wonderful time and our only stop was Cozumel. I loved it, the first thing we did was take a Taxi to Paridise Beach Which was GREAT! It was beautiful, lots and lots of chairs and umbrellas for use for free. $8 to use all the toys they have, let me tell you they have some awsome chips and salsa, and don't forget the paradise punch :) On the way to the beach you could see a lot of devastation BUT the down town area where the boats tender into are fine, the have worked very hard to get evything up and running and there is some fantastic shopping! I would say GO!!! Af for renting the jeeps, they are 55 for the day and they have someone who rides the tenders renting them. We reserved one but chnaged our minds after seeing the traffic and our taxi driver drove 120 we were a tad intimadated but if your gutsy go for it!

Anyone know how the reconstruction of the pier is coming along in Cozumel? RCCL customer service told me it should be back in service next week.

I was there Saturday, and I dont see how it will be open, parts are still missing. You may try posting the question on the Cozumel board, some of the locals read it, and may give you a better idea.

Okay folks,

This is my post hope it goes well. JOTS Jan 2-8, Most of my friends have never cruised, me only once 7 years ago...when we arrive in Costa Maya I'm assuming we will all want the beach, however with all of us together 1)should we all get seperate taxis

2)do we pay up-front or on the way back?

3)do you drink/eat the food at the beach huts

Which beach has the most activities for all of us?

Sorry to be like this but one person is a diabetic and I don't want this person to "catch" anything from an outside establishment.

I know mexico has changed from years when you couldn't drink the water, but I just want to be safe thanks, I don't think renting a jeep would work, most of my friends are drunks...LOL....Thanks

Freekyfrost: We're also on the JOTS Jan. 2-8. There's lots of info on the Costa Maya board. We (6 of us) are planning to take a taxi (which I understand is actually a mini bus) into the village of Majahual and try to locate a place called "Tapas." It sounds great from all of the reviews - plenty to do for everyone. No one has mentioned problems with the quality of the food & drinks. My in-laws may take a tour of the ruins instead.

Just got off the ship 3 days ago and was at Costa Maya. They do not have hurricane damage. The trees that were done were for two reasons - new construction going on and also they are cleaning all of the trees on both sides of the highway to have greater clearance for passing vehicles.

The one down side of Costa Maya beaches is that in many areas there is trashed washed up on the beaches from people dumping in the ocean. It was disgusting, but the beach that we went to, the tour organizers sweep the beach everyday, so it was pristine - 200 yards away, trash. The water was fantastic.

The shopping at the pier is very nice and there is a free native show that you can watch. Enjoy your cruise.

Anyone know how the reconstruction of the pier is coming along in Cozumel? RCCL customer service told me it should be back in service next week.

Didn't see any work being done on the piers last week. I was pretty awestruck by how much damage there is to them. I highly doubt the piers will open this week, next week, or even next month. That being said they were doing a ton of construction and stuff that wasn't open when I was there on Tuesday opened on Friday so they are reopening things as quickly as possible.

Okay folks,

This is my post hope it goes well. JOTS Jan 2-8, Most of my friends have never cruised, me only once 7 years ago...when we arrive in Costa Maya I'm assuming we will all want the beach, however with all of us together 1)should we all get seperate taxis

Sorry to be like this but one person is a diabetic and I don't want this person to "catch" anything from an outside establishment.

I know mexico has changed from years when you couldn't drink the water, but I just want to be safe thanks, I don't think renting a jeep would work, most of my friends are drunks...LOL....Thanks

If you go to Majahual, you pay the taxi each way.

We ate at the beach. The place we ate at isn't there any more, though. People have talked about anothe place farther down (the town is only ~ 6 blocks long) that is good. Our food was prepared w/ good water. Bet the other place will be. Maybe Pez Quatro?

Your drunk friends will find things to drink there. ;) All should be happy!

Okay folks,

FREEKY Come join our roll call!!!

Glad to see a fellow NYer on our cruise!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=142548

Some posts here are very ridiculous. THE truth is that Conzumel will recuperate and probably for next year (dec 2006-not January) will be ready. Now is clean, and Shops are ready for turists but reality is that is very destroyed. SO, stop it. Is not beautiful as said, theres nothing to sightsee but the stores, its not ready at all. To get to the beach you have to go through whats destroyed so who wants to do that? Not me. But its also true that you still can have fun somehow. I did buy lots of stuff there. BUT I hated that the cruise decided to take us there and I thought it was ridiculous. CONzumel is nothing interesting, NOTHING.

I would go again in a future. I would never go to Costa Maya. Theres nothing there. ITs not mexico at all. Its very primitive, created for the cruises. Mahahual is like going to a flea Market. They are expensive so its more ridiculous. The people that are saying this was beautiful and wonderful must have never been in a real caribbean port, nor a real beautiful beach such as those of southern and eastern caribbean or even florida.:cool: If anyone could tell me how to download images from my camcorder to the web you could see what people are honestly refferring of Conzumel. Its real, real, real.

I would never go to Costa Maya. Theres nothing there. ITs not mexico at all. Its very primitive, created for the cruises. Mahahual is like going to a flea Market. They are expensive so its more ridiculous. The people that are saying this was beautiful and wonderful must have never been in a real caribbean port, nor a real beautiful beach such as those of southern and eastern caribbean or even florida.:cool:

So let me make sure I understand this. Because we were in Costa Maya/Majuhual earlier this month and loved it, loved it, loved it - in fact, it was our favorite port on this trip - then we are a) ridiculous; b) country rubes who have never been outside the county line; c) so totally clueless we shouldn't be allowed in public; or d) all of the above?

Silly me, I thought we genuinely enjoyed a beautiful sea, lovely soft white sand beach and friendly, genuine, not-so-tourist-corrupted native people.

Never Refferred To Anyone In Specific, And If You Have Not Visited Any Other Area...then You Will Have So Much Fun When You Do So. My Kids Did Have Fun In The Golf Cart Ride. The Beach Was Ok Not Great. So Why Would I Spend A Dime To Go There Again? And Funny Is That They Dont Rent Cars Because They Know People Would Head Somewhere Else Such As Maybe Cancun. As You Head To Mahauhal On The Golf Cart You Can See The Signs To Cancun That Said Maybe 60 Miles. I Dont Remember How Much.

I Do Want To Correct That I Really Wanted To Say That Costa Maya Was Not Interesting At All. Not Conzumel. Because I Think That In A Future I Would Visit There Again.

That's rather the point, isn't it? That you wouldn't spend a dime to go there again, and that's fine - you're as entitled to your opinion as I to mine. However, to infer that all of those who don't agree are untravelled rubes is a bit much, don't you think?

If it wouldn't be so juvenile, I would be more than happy to play "Who's been to more places in the world" with you ...... and yet, somehow, we still managed to LOVE Mahujual.

Some posts here are very ridiculous. THE truth is that Conzumel will recuperate and probably for next year (dec 2006-not January) will be ready. Now is clean, and Shops are ready for turists but reality is that is very destroyed. SO, stop it. Is not beautiful as said, theres nothing to sightsee but the stores, its not ready at all. To get to the beach you have to go through whats destroyed so who wants to do that? Not me. But its also true that you still can have fun somehow. I did buy lots of stuff there. BUT I hated that the cruise decided to take us there and I thought it was ridiculous. CONzumel is nothing interesting, NOTHING.

I would go again in a future. I would never go to Costa Maya. Theres nothing there. ITs not mexico at all. Its very primitive, created for the cruises. Mahahual is like going to a flea Market. They are expensive so its more ridiculous. The people that are saying this was beautiful and wonderful must have never been in a real caribbean port, nor a real beautiful beach such as those of southern and eastern caribbean or even florida.:cool: If anyone could tell me how to download images from my camcorder to the web you could see what people are honestly refferring of Conzumel. Its real, real, real.

When were you in cozumel?

November14th

I'm sure it was real bad at that time, as you were there the first week they opened back up. We were there on Saturday 12/24 and things have improved alot since then.

Check out these pictures and you can see the progression from when the storm was there till now.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2118380855&mode=guest

Ken - we were there on the 24th also.....spent the day at Paradise Beach and loved it! Fantastic weather, beautiful beach, not crowded, great lunch and drinks served right on the beach and the friendliest staff we encountered during our entire trip! I'm ready to go back!

Ken - we were there on the 24th also.....spent the day at Paradise Beach and loved it! Fantastic weather, beautiful beach, not crowded, great lunch and drinks served right on the beach and the friendliest staff we encountered during our entire trip! I'm ready to go back!

We were at Paradise Beach as well, we arrived at 10am and left at 3pm, it was a great time.

Archived