Cozumel and Costa Maya

macgirl

We are cruising on the Jewel Jan. 2. From all the reviews I've recently read about Cozumel and Costa Maya, it would appear that there is no point in getting off the ship to see these ports because they are in such bad shape?

Is there anything to do and/or see at these ports now that they've been damaged, or is it just as well to stay onboard? :confused:

Thanks.

We are cruising on the Jewel Jan. 2. From all the reviews I've recently read about Cozumel and Costa Maya, it would appear that there is no point in getting off the ship to see these ports because they are in such bad shape?

Is there anything to do and/or see at these ports now that they've been damaged, or is it just as well to stay onboard? :confused:

Thanks.

If you decide to get off at Cozumel take a taxi to Paradise Beach and spend the day relaxing in the sun! We spent a day in February at PB - just to take the time to relax. Great food/drinks and my kids loved the water toys!

Not sure where you are reading about Costa Maya? It is one of my wife and my favotite stops. Get away from the port area and go down the beach a bit and enjoy a great day relaxing at the waters edge. Buy some trinkets and then hit the mega pool by the dock on you way back to the ship. Best shrimp tacos we have ever had.

Cozumel on the other hand has suffered some, but I would encourage you to still get off and patronize the local shops and restaurants. The rebuilding is well underway.

Regardless of what you choose to do, have a great cruise, :)

In Cozumel I would eat at Poncho’s Back yard and go to PB

In Costa Maya I would not go to Maya Palms

I would go into port and watch the show which is good and shop around and if that became uncomfortable I would retreat back to the ship. Oh and our table mates said they did the ruins tour with David and Ivan? And said it was great.

Get off the ship unless the weather is not good. The only problem we had in Cozumel was watch out for rocky tenders if the waves are up, but that also happened in the Caymans’.

Green4me,

The devastation in both of those areas was much more sever that we were lead to believe, by the boards and RCI. If you target area’s that you know have recovered than you will be ok if you are just wandering you may be disappointed. This is in no way intended to discourage people from getting off the ship it is just my opinion.

Places in Cozumel that I know are good: 12/13

Pancho’s Backyard

Los Cinco sol

Paradise Beach

I know I was there

Don't let BeachBears mislead you. There is NO hurricane damage in Costa Maya. It is Pristine! Like Green4me, head down to the fishing village Mahaual and enjoy the crystal clear waters, a massage, and a few cervezas. I was just there last week and had a wonderful time.

Cozumel on the other hand was hit very hard. We rented a jeep and stopped by several beach clubs. Paradise beach was by far the best looking. They had brand new palms and lots of beach area. Enjoy!

For updates on Coz go to wilmasconscience.com. Chankanaab was pretty much wiped out. I don't know how much damage was done in the reef/snorkel area. But I read on on wilmasconscience.com that the park MAY be open in mid-February. Earlier estimate was not til June. So I wouldn't be too hopeful of that Feb. estimate.

We loved Costa Maya! We took a tour with David and Ivan and then spent the rest of the afternoon hanging out at the beach in Majahual.

I have seen pictures of Cozumel and it is amazing how much work has been done at Paradise Beach. It is one of the few places that is ready to embrace cruisers. We were there last spring and the food and drinks are awesome. The beach sand is marvelous and there are plenty of water toys to keep everyone happy.

I have also heard the Chankanaab Park was pretty much wiped out. Go to Paradise Beach and enjoy the day!

No hurricane damage Hummm you got hit by glancing blows by Wilma and Gama. There was damage all over, Down trees, washed out road way and debris on the beach down the coast. I will only speak to what I saw and I did not go to the beach in town but don’t tell me there was no damage.

That does not mean that there is nothing to do in Costa Maya we found the port area nice when we were there and we had table mates that went to the ruins and had a great time. I do not know how the beaches in town faired and will not speculate.

I also feel that Cozumel has a lot more damage; I only spoke to the areas I saw that were recovered and saw personally.

I would also be wary of posters on the sight that may be influenced buy living in Cozumel or Costa Maya, I would like to here from tourist.

Actually, Coz is my fave Western Carib port of call. There is plenty to due post-Wilma. Shopping, snorkeling, beaches galore, sightseeing, etc. I think you will do yourself a serious disservice by not getting off the ship. We spent the day at Playa Mia, and it was GREAT. There was plenty to do, the beaches were beautiful, and as we went by, Paradise Beach looked great, too. If you would like other beaches, head to

http://www.wilmacozumel.com/

and you'll find a link to all the beaches that are ready for visitors. :)

Costa Maya is great, too. It's got that unspoiled feeling, and if you taxi it to some of the other beaches, you'll love it.

I am, wow, amazed. That must be some kind of recovery plan. You will find out when you stretch the truth it is just as good as a lie. Would it be ok if I said I say hurricane damage from Ivan last year in the Cayman’s? The missing tree’s and buildings were they all a mirage or all those blue tarps in Fort Lauderdale was that some new type of roofing. Don’t make me post the photos.

Get off the ship and enjoy yourself, the places I listed are up and running, check other reviews of people who have visited post Wilma and Gama, and as always make up your own mind.

Must be nice to live in Cozumel year round.

TheBeachBears, Are you sure you are describing Costa Maya? I did see a lot of gutted buildings in Cozumel and stripped tree's. But I did not see any in Costa Maya. I would love to see your pictures of what you describe aa a devastated Costa Maya. Now remind you, I was there last week and I saw no downed tree's or gutted buildings. I saw a lush tropical beach with beautiful palms. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.;)

We just returned yesterday from Costa Maya and Cozumel. Cozumel had serious damage but they are up and running in many areas. Evidence is strong that a major hurricane hit here. Costa Maya we took a trip throughout by taxi and the gutted buildings and downed trees are few and far between. The gutted buildings seemed to be more from lack of money to upkeep and the down trees were in an area they were clearing for new construction. The beaches and shopping villages are fine. Costa Maya did not get hit by Wilma. Get off the ship and have a nice time.

Just got back from Cozumel. There is a lot of damage from Wilma visible, but the locals are working hard to clean up. We went to Passion Island and had a good time. You can see the damage there (barren trees, structural damage), but the staff more than makes up for that. Good food, cold beer, and white beaches. A good place to go for quiet sunbathing.

Just got back for Costa Maya! We loved it! Get off the boat early and get one of the tours to the Ruins. I was suppose to get with Ivan and David but missed them because the City you met them is a few mins away. But I went with the tour company around the back of the stores. It is a young guy who runs the both. We had a great time at the ruins it was about an hour drive one way. And the tour was a little over an hour. It was just three of us in our tour group. Made for a great personal tour.

My friends went snorkelling and loved it! I found there was a lot to do in Costa Maya. Shopping was GREAT! We did not dock in Cozumel because our ship was to big.

You will enjoy it!:) :D

I just returned from Legend of the Seas on 12/17...we also went to Cozumel & Costa Maya.

Like others have said about Costa Maya, the gutted building I saw were those that were abandoned mid-construction or were in mid-construction. Costa Maya is a new port - there is still a lot of development that is going to happen. It's underdelveloped, but is an OK port. Mahahaul is a very poor town, but the beaches are beautiful!! I would recommend taking a taxi there and spending the day at the beach.

I was very impressed with Cozumel's progress! I had a great time in that port and we did not go to Pleasure Beach or on any excursions. We just walked around and shopped and went to Mission for lunch. We enjoyed Cozumel very much.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with either port if you just pick the right things to do. Again, definitely the beach in Mahahaul at Cost Maya (not the beach at the pier).

Don't let BeachBears mislead you. There is NO hurricane damage in Costa Maya. It is Pristine!

Grrrr. I don't know how I got on the "wrong" side of this issue, I think that you have misinterpreted what I said, at every port we stopped at there was hurricane damage including Costa Maya, no it was not even close to Cozumel but there was some damage. Get off the ship was my message to the OP because I was there last week and it was ok. If your response was I was there four months ago and I loved it that doesn’t answer the OP’s question things change when hurricanes go through and the OP was looking for opinions of people who ad been there recently, which some of you have. I also know for a fact that some of the “natives’ in Costa Maya post on these boards with there “information” about certain areas over other areas.

I was there, minor damage, some debris on the beach I was on, get off the boat and enjoy.

Let the flames begin

It is my understanding that Costa Maya doesn't have reliable internet service, so to say that the "natives of Costa Maya" are posting on these boards is probably a little stretch... while I agree, I do see a lot of Cozumel locals on the boards on a regular basis, I don't think there are many from Costa Maya on here. And, from what I have seen, the Coz. local adhere to the rules of this board and their info is an asset to my planning! JMHO!

To the OP, I was in Coz on 12/10 yes, there is a lot of damage. The rebuilding and recovery is remarkable. I think Florida and the gulf coast could take some lessons. We went to Paradise Beach. I was worried about it being crowded also. It was not crowded at all but there were only two ships in port that day.

Downtown also is starting to look great, there is a lot of shopping and a lot of restaurants. So go to Cozumel, get off the ship explore the beaches and the town. You will have a great time.

Archived