Oasis dining to go?

So true. And of course anyone you talk to or email prior to talking to someone in dining onboard the ship isn’t going to be handling or preparing the food. Heck, they’re not even on the ship! Always best to confirm with the actual onboard dining staff. Have a great trip! Is this your first?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wife & I went on a cruise for our honeymoon in 2002, so we aren’t 100% cruise virgins, but given how much has changed since then it all feels new. Plus with small kids on a ship like Oasis it definitely feels like we have never cruised before! Super excited! 😀😀😀

I totally get you - my DD is GF (15 @ diagnosis,21 now) & we're very leary of buffets as well. Last RC cruise (5 years ago), no issues @ all in MDR, & she could even tell them the night before @ dinner if she wanted GF pancakes or French toast, the next day, & they would put a note in under her name & we could get them the next morning. I am interested in seeing the Gfree section of Windjammer on our upcoming May cruise, however. She's had to deal with a dining hall last 4 years @ school, and she learned quickly which one of the 2 was better at preventing cross contamination

Carrying suggestion -- bring a canvas or similar tote bag with a flat bottom, carry the plates & silverware in that -- even easier to carry, less chance of dropping if someone else runs into you, & if you carry it on your arm, you'll have 2 hands for those mimosas :D

I really feel for your daughter being diagnosed at 15. Such a major change at that stage of her life must have been very difficult on her. Though it’s never an easy transition, we were very fortunate to diagnose ours at 2, so she at least didn’t have a difficult transition. Sure it breaks my heart she can’t have cupcakes at a birthday party like the other kids, but it’s not like she had to give up meals she had grown to love over years.

I love your carrying suggestion! Wife will too! 🍾🍾🍾 cheers!

I really feel for your daughter being diagnosed at 15. Such a major change at that stage of her life must have been very difficult on her. Though it’s never an easy transition, we were very fortunate to diagnose ours at 2, so she at least didn’t have a difficult transition. Sure it breaks my heart she can’t have cupcakes at a birthday party like the other kids, but it’s not like she had to give up meals she had grown to love over years.

I love your carrying suggestion! Wife will too! 🍾🍾🍾 cheers!

Actually, I felt 15 was good since she was old enough to understand the issue, and young enough to be flexible. Yes, it was tough for her giving up foods she loved (especially since we're Italian & still haven't been able to find a good sub for real italian bread:)), but we really threw ourselves into researching new recipes and making sure our kitchen at home is safe. Luckily, she loves to cook, so we do manage. The other fun issue were dealing with is my older daughter being diagnosed with Crohn's 2 years ago. Finding recipes that are suitable for both is challenging. Weirdly, both are considered genetic linked auto immune disease, but DH and I have no GI issues.

I haven’t cruised on RCL, but NCL with dd15, who has celiac. Breakfast was her favorite meal of the day! She would order her breakfast the night before, and call the dietary manager when we were leaving our cabin to let him know where we were having breakfast (usually an overflow restaurant from the buffet). He would bring her tray right to her, pancakes, waffles, eggs Benedict, muffins, sausage, bacon... she was in heaven! She has 4 siblings, so she is the only one who eats gluten free (although many of are dinners are, just because I’m to lazy to cook extra).

We also ordered her dinner the night before.

From what I’ve read, room service is not safe because of cross contamination potential, but several of the restaurants are good options to avoid cross contamination issues. I wasn’t really thinking of taking 4 plates that look like plates you’d eat at a restaurant table, but more curious if it could be prepared in a convenient to-go option (covered plates, to-go boxes, etc.). Really just looking for any advice or experiences on good options for a kid with a food allergy to eat on her balcony (no matter how much work or money it entails for dad). Thanks!

no such animal as a to go box on board. even RS is delivered on a real plate with the metal covers .