Currently aboard YC Splendida - questions?

CoupleUK

We found Dubai strange when compared to other cruise ports.

You have guests leaving the ship late at night or very early in the mornings to catch really early flights. If you are a light sleeper you may wish to consume vast amounts of alcohol or take some hearing plugs.

The knock on effect of people leaving for those really early flights is that they bring incoming guests really early too - and MSC are all set up to welcome you much earlier than a typical cruise would.

We arrived at a similar time last year after an overnight flight, too. We had an MSC transfer booked; when the bus arrived at the port, we were just asked to stay on and wait for about 5 minutes before entering the terminal as they were processing another group. Sure enough, we only waited a short time before we were in and on the ship (Fantasia) in no time.

Brilliant thank you. DH was very concerned at the possibility of missing out on his evening dining :')

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly off topic, from arriving at Dubai International airport to exiting the airport, how long does it usually take to obtain visa, clear security and immigration etc? I'm looking to book a transfer and I need to give them a time. I have booked airport services to fast track security but am uncertain how much time to allow. Anything involving security and immigration is a lottery in my experience but curious of anyone experience . We land at 8am at T3.

We are now home after a weeks cruise on Splendida, we had good and bads. Bar staff havent a clue, beer stocks poor often told no beers, wines they try to get you to take the house wines despite us having the top drinks package. Complained to seniors and got what we wanted but we should not have to having paid for the service. butchers cut superb meal.. First night our food was on cold plates and lukewarm. Again got the main man involved and after that everything was hot but again we should get that as norm. Some people very rude barginging into lifts before you get out, one lady sat on my wifes handbag at our tabke as she was away getting food. No chance of sunbeds unless you get up early.. Entertainment some good some avoid

We are now home after a weeks cruise on Splendida, we had good and bads. Bar staff havent a clue, beer stocks poor often told no beers, wines they try to get you to take the house wines despite us having the top drinks package. Complained to seniors and got what we wanted but we should not have to having paid for the service. butchers cut superb meal.. First night our food was on cold plates and lukewarm. Again got the main man involved and after that everything was hot but again we should get that as norm. Some people very rude barginging into lifts before you get out, one lady sat on my wifes handbag at our tabke as she was away getting food. No chance of sunbeds unless you get up early.. Entertainment some good some avoid

Thanks for sharing your experience, TW. I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed Butchers' Cut. We loved it on Meraviglia and were hoping it would be as good on Splendida as we will be onboard in a few weeks' time.

We had a nightmare with the drinks package. Embarkation all six of us had upgraded and the wrong code was on our cruise cards, check that, we had to go to customer services. Every bar was a nightmare, never had the wines we wanted or beers. The Dim Sum bar only had the best wines but insisted you drink them there and watch you,mit was like the great escape.. Barolo is the dearest and best red wine but only available in the Dim Sum, Butchers cut got me two bottles. Also the best Chablis and Sav Blancs are in there. Hit and miss in the other bars. But on the first night I complained in the main dining room and they asked what weal, wanted andit was there for the next six nights. The house wines are shocking. I have just mailed MSC complaining that there top range drinks package is not fit for purpose and why should we have to go from bar to bar to get drinks. One night I asked for Peroni and they said we only have one, they would wouldnt serve me as an Italian always wants one on arrival. Guess who got the Peroni. The Blue bar was a good spot they seemed ti have mist drinks. Spirits never a problem. Have a great cruise,

Thank you!

We'll be in YC so the house wines aren't served there, anyway; only the ones that are included in the premium package. DH only drinks the draught Heineken so he'll have no problems. I'm a little concerned to hear about problems with drink availability at this stage. We'll be on the repo to Japan and I know that the ship tends to start running out of stock on these crossings as they change a lot of the brands when they reach the new region. In this case, the region will be China, so I expect there will be a huge shift in inventory needs.

Thanks Bea. I think I'll allow around 1 1/2 hours and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the review TW, slightly concerned with the wine reports and drinks availability. We're no connoisseurs but do like a nice wine with dinner. To be served with hot food! Which dining room were you in & which of the entertainment wouldn't you recommend?

We were in Villa Verde second sitting, but we went in ar 9pm every night.. The Maitre De came over and was very helpfull, two nights the menu was nit good for me and he arranged for two lovely sirloin steaks for me. Also the food after night one was served hot and hot plates. Just tell your waiters no house wines, the Woodbridge Cab Sav was very nice. If you like white then the Chablis and Pinot have a basic and supreme option, get the supreme. Likewise on the Prosecco, get the supreme.

• 3 weeks later...

Hallo returning cruisers!

I got one more question about MSC Splendida:

There is said to be a new oriental restaurant, brought in especially for the Asian market.

Did anyone try the restaurant and can recommend it?

Is it difficult to get a table - so is reservation needed the first day on board?

We are boarding the cruise in Abi Dhabi so we are not sure if all capacities on board are already take by passengers boarding in Dubai ...?

Missed this thread previously but thanks for the information, very useful in helping us decide if Splendida in YC is for us. One possible issue is the various flight times back to Europe and when people are leaving the ship - I certainly wouldn't want to do it the evening before the end of the cruise or at 3AM on the day of disembarkation, I would feel I'd paid for facilities I can't use for 100% of the cruise.

We would fly direct from Glasgow and the last time I checked the flight times work out quite favourably but I think the ship would feel odd on the last night with people going to bed for a 3AM start. We would probably go to Dubai for 3 days or so before boarding, so I'm not worried about losing the first day by arriving on a late flight. Also as this cruise spends so much time 'tied up' it might not feel like a usual cruise - I have a feeling it would be a very quick feeling week.

How did you find just going for a week? Disappointed about the wine availability and the fact you have to fight for what you have paid for. I found out in another thread that even in the YC unless you are quite sure about what wine you want, they will only pour you a glass from one of the two bottles they have already opened that evening. Did you find the passenger mix the usual for MSC (for some reason I imagine more British people doing this itinerary and less Italians etc. - could be wrong of course!).

We found the ship was quieter on the last night but not so that it was weird in any way. The ship hadn't been busy during our sailing anyway, not very many of our fellow passengers were British. Most importantly we had no wine issues. I'll be posting a review shortly, still unpacking and catching up at home.

Hallo returning cruisers!

I got one more question about MSC Splendida:

There is said to be a new oriental restaurant, brought in especially for the Asian market.

Did anyone try the restaurant and can recommend it?

Is it difficult to get a table - so is reservation needed the first day on board?

We are boarding the cruise in Abi Dhabi so we are not sure if all capacities on board are already take by passengers boarding in Dubai ...?

We had a look at the menu one night, Its a hot pot type restaurant where you cook your own food in a broth that they provide, we only ever saw a few people in there, no need to book.

We decided to give it a miss

We had a look at the menu one night, Its a hot pot type restaurant where you cook your own food in a broth that they provide, we only ever saw a few people in there, no need to book.

We decided to give it a miss

Thanks a lot!

Doesn't sound really nice :-(

So I don't know if we'll give it a try ... ?!

Thanks CF, biting my nails in anticipation. :D

Still unpacking?! I was home on the Friday night and all the washing was done by the Sunday....... ;)

No pressure then :o

Oh thanks ;p

Arrived home early hours yesterday and the washing is underway although the FA Cup is going to hinder progress today.

No pressure then :o

I'm watching out for it, too, CF. We're heading in 12 days time (crikey, can't believe it's that soon!).

You've returned just ahead of the snow, this time. It would have been some (bad) luck to have been caught both at the beginning, and then at the end, of your trip.

Review is in progress :)

Yes thankfully, safely home and not too much snow!

Great!

Looking very much forward to it.

We are leaving Germany Saturday evening for Abu Dhabi, sailing the "untypical" 8-nights-cruise from/to Abu Dhabi, sharing one or two nights with the repositioning cruise to Asia.

I loved the YC on Meraviglia which was our first try of MSC and now I am a little bit concerned about food, wine, noise, cleanlyness ... on Splendida in our small Aurea cabin ;-)

I am especially looking for ideas / hints to make the best out of living on board, so suggestions for Wellness, food experience, wine recommandations, best party nights, sunloungers capture ;-) eg are very much appreciated!

Great!

Looking very much forward to it.

We are leaving Germany Saturday evening for Abu Dhabi, sailing the "untypical" 8-nights-cruise from/to Abu Dhabi, sharing one or two nights with the repositioning cruise to Asia.

I loved the YC on Meraviglia which was our first try of MSC and now I am a little bit concerned about food, wine, noise, cleanlyness ... on Splendida in our small Aurea cabin ;-)

I am especially looking for ideas / hints to make the best out of living on board, so suggestions for Wellness, food experience, wine recommandations, best party nights, sunloungers capture ;-) eg are very much appreciated!

You shouldn't have any trouble getting a sunlounger, yra; Aurea guests have use of the Exclusive Solarium on deck 18 on Splendida.

Yra, just returned from cruise in an Aurea cabin. No issues with size or cleanliness of cabin TV a little dated but don't cruise to watch TV so more than sufficient for our needs.

Even using the exclusive deck 18 option we struggled for a sun bed on the sea day, no problem on other days. Didn't "chair hog" and started search for a bed after breakfast maybe 10.30ish. Odd one free however not the three together needed for our party. Plenty of beds stacked up on deck however no space in which to place them. Found two spare on deck 18 one more uncomfortable leaf design and one bed which was broken so unable to adjust the back rest. Used these and a chair until after lunch when found three on open deck together.

We stuck to the house wine most nights drinkable if not the best. Not a big wine drinker myself however wife did pay for a different wine on a couple of nights wasn't cost effective for us to upgrade the package particularly as understand would have to do for everyone in the cabin and 18 year old daughter isn't much of a drinker.

Did Anytime Dining which was great menu choices generally very good yes a bit lukewarm but no different to other cruises been on.