Currently aboard YC Splendida - questions?

CoupleUK

Wow ........... I can't believe they didn't replace the carpets - especially the worn-looking ones in YC. One of the main reasons why Splendida is going to China is because MSC wants to showcase the YC concept.

We were on Orchestra at Christmas and if felt like a brand new ship with all the carpets having been replaced recently.

Cabins at very front of ship - dont do it !!!!

We are in 16004 and have a deep balcony with overhang.

As we are at the front, there is a huge sloping wind break at the front.

We cannot see anything below us unless it is several hundred yards ahead.

The gap between the wind break and roof is about 6ft.

You just cant see anything and pointless having a balcony.

Should be classed as 70% obstructed.

Thank you very much for your updates on the Splendida, the only Fantasia Class ship we haven't sailed yet. Interesting to see that they have placed a new restaurant on deck 16 by the disco, I anticipated that would happen. Is there still a disco there in the late nights? I'm very surprised that they introduced the Butcher's Cut onboard though. Will be interesting to see if they replace the Tex - Mex on the sistership MSC Fantasia with Butcher's Cut too.

Enjoy your cruise:)

Whoops I lied...it is on the cruise ticket and it is 1.00 p.m. Big relief as I had read somewhere else that the check in was 18:00 hrs.

For those interested, (Bea) I have just found two extensive new reviews on the uk cruise. site for Splendida from those just back. One has fabulous photos. Click on to Forum, then Hot topics for the first and then scroll down to cruises and the next is under MSC. Very interesting. Anne

nb also Bea when I went to check in today the msc for me app came up to advertise its existence and then in the small print it said only on the Seaview and one other....coming to splendida soon.

Could you post a link to the reviews, I appear to be doing something very wrong and can't find anything. Thank you

Hi, sorry I dont know how to post a link to this. Hope this will help. Go to cruisedotcodotuk. There is a blue band across the top of the page detailing different sections of the site...to the right side of the bar click on Forums. You should then see three lists Newest topics; hot topics; new cruise deals. In the hot topics there are three titles from Wilba all detailing her msc cruise. Then scroll right down the page through all the difference forums to Cruise Lines. You will see MSC in there. That will take you to the right forum. The first item on it is a review of splendida from toshtosh. Good luck

Here's a link to toshtosh's review (you need to scroll down a bit):

https://www.cruise.co.uk/forum/1012-msc-cruises/49653-msc-splendida-gulf-cruise-review.html

Here's a link to Wilba's review:

https://www.cruise.co.uk/forum/1577-cruise-blogs/49682-wilba-emirates-beyond.html

Edited by Beamafar

One more question, on a seven nighter are there fixed nights for formal nights on the cruise. Do any men wear tuxes.

Gala nights tend to be on the same nights when the itinerary is being repeated. However, they can be changed in the event of an unexpected change of itinerary due to bad weather, etc.

Very few men wear tuxes, now. It's more common to see either suits & ties or jackets and open-necked shirts and some don't even bother.

Day 1 of our 2nd week aboard Splendida departing Dubai.

Same sailing time as last week 22.30pm

Last week, muster drill was 8.30pm which was later than we expected but we went to bed just after as hardly any sleep on our overnight flight in.

Tonight, for some strange reason, muster drill is 10.30pm - or was, but it actually started at 11.00pm

I feel sorry for those who wanted an early night.

Hallo @CoupleUK and @andante,

I'm boarding Splendida with my family on March 25th in Abu Dhabi, sharing a few days with the Grand Voyages Passengers!

I have some questions, too, and would love to hear from you!

Butchers Cut:

As I read in other reviews Butchers Cut is quite expensive. And as we are only Gold / Aurea we do not have a free dinner but definitely want to try it.

The MSC Website sais that you can pre book the restaurant with a good discount. But booking on the (awful!) MSC-Login-Website does not work. I now asked my travel agent, so make this booking for me!

Do you know about regular prices and pre-booking prices for this specific restaurant?

Sir Bani Yas:

I prebooked a "Sheik Beach Bed" but I am not sure if it is really woth the cost.

On all YouTube videos you can see, that the island is very windy. So is it nice to spend the whole day at the beach?

And there are other (free?) beach beds, too. So I'm not sure if 69€ are woth the rental!

Third thing: We are a family of four with two teenie girls. The website sais the beach beds are only for 2 people. Will they really send our girls away from this part of the beach? Or can we bring a airmatress to have them with us....

Last:

On Meraviglia last summer we were absolutely happy wth the YC because the main pool area was sooo loud and crowded ;-) ! Now we plan to use Aura Sun Deck to have peace and comfort. What impression did you have from that area? And is the main pool area so much like a holiday-club as it is in the meditarranean in summer...?

Hope you can help me a little bit!

Yra

sorry for the delay - now back home (and freezing lol)

Butchers Cut 3 course meal is free with Black Card - but you can buy the 3 course meal for just 39 Euros - well worth it.

It does take some calculating but if you buy the 3 course meal (which btw is the one you get if you buy the 2, 3, 4 etc night meal package), you can swop an item for anything else on the menu and only pay 50% of that price.

Example: 3 course meal is 39 Euro. You can choose a different main course off the main menu (let us say a 40 Euro steak) and get it for 20 Euro - takings your 3 course for 59 Euro in total

We only used BC as it was free for us - we were more than happy in L'olivo. However, BC would be worth the 39euro extra.

----------------

Sir Bani

Oops - we got up late and missed the lunch ashore (only on til 2pm). We didnt even go over. As it turns out, most people came back early as it was cold.

----------------

Sorry, other than passing through the very crowded main sun deck, we only used the YC deck.

Thanks a lot Paul & Ann-Marie @CoupleUK!

I know YC keeps you really away from noisy clouds ;-)

But I'm sure we will manage this trip with a lot of fun, too!

Next time YC again :-))))

We are on board now, get off in Abu Dhabi tomorrow, as far as I can tell they were boarding passengers who were on overnight flights as they arrived, around 08.00.

They announced that breakfast was available in the buffet and at 10.00 they announced that cabins were ready.

It seemed very slick

We are on board now, get off in Abu Dhabi tomorrow, as far as I can tell they were boarding passengers who were on overnight flights as they arrived, around 08.00.

They announced that breakfast was available in the buffet and at 10.00 they announced that cabins were ready.

It seemed very slick

Thank you for the information, we are on an overnight flight and arrive about 9am. Our documents show a check in time of 9pm but will be going straight to the ship or we effectively lose a day of the holiday.

Thank you for the information, we are on an overnight flight and arrive about 9am. Our documents show a check in time of 9pm but will be going straight to the ship or we effectively lose a day of the holiday.

We arrived at a similar time last year after an overnight flight, too. We had an MSC transfer booked; when the bus arrived at the port, we were just asked to stay on and wait for about 5 minutes before entering the terminal as they were processing another group. Sure enough, we only waited a short time before we were in and on the ship (Fantasia) in no time.