American Queen Christmas on the Mississippi.

Solent Richard

My wife and I spent Christmas on a river steamboat cruise between Memphis and New Orleans, travelling along ‘Ole man River’ – the Mississippi – in the footsteps of Mark Twain. We were sailing on the largest Steam Paddle Wheeler ever built, the American Queen…

24984939877_f656c34d5c_z.jpg

The American Queen is altogether one very different river cruise boat and is an ideal mode of transport on which to explore the laid-back world of Mark Twain’s riverside America. The part of the Mississippi that we journeyed along is not renowned for its scenic beauty: and neither is that the point of this journey. It is in fact a stylish journey through American Civil War history, and what better a way to do it...

39782009242_1b62c59e59_z.jpg

We thoroughly enjoyed the food which was always plentiful and varied and the entertainment, across the board, was outstanding...

38805098895_54dae34a5f_z.jpg

38790902345_f11d43ab2e_z.jpg

24819833757_e7db874f37_z.jpg

I have recently published a full review covering both the Steamboat and the itinerary with over 100 photographs to illustrate the 8 days we spent on her.

Here is the link...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2018/01/24/american-queen-mississippi-christmas-cruise/

27963261599_37bd2664c0_z.jpg

Wow, that looks great, loved your pictures, iv never thought of doing an american river cruise but now i would love too. Yet another thing to add to the to-do list. Haha. I loved the way the ship looks like its from a by-gone age. Beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow, that looks great, loved your pictures, iv never thought of doing an american river cruise but now i would love too. Yet another thing to add to the to-do list. Haha. I loved the way the ship looks like its from a by-gone age. Beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is on my bucket list. Thanks for the review and pictures.

Thanks for your comments.

This ship will also be featuring on the UK Jane McDonald series commencing Friday 9 February.

Here's a whistle for Jane...