Cuba independent tours

swanee4

Can someone who purchased their tour after July last year please tell me how Holland America is handling people who booked independent tours under the Support for the Cuban People category? When I called to cancel a tour I was told once again that I wouldn’t be allowed off the ship. I’m looking for help from someone who has gone through this please.

Can someone who purchased their tour after July last year please tell me how Holland America is handling people who booked independent tours under the Support for the Cuban People category? When I called to cancel a tour I was told once again that I wouldn’t be allowed off the ship. I’m looking for help from someone who has gone through this please.

On the first HAL Cuba cruise over the holidays and did only HAL tours but the whole thing seemed very casual once we were there compared to what was written up ahead of time. (US citizens) HAL has to explain the rules, but whether anyone at any time later actually enforces the rules is the big unknown. This is really between you and the US Dept of Treasury and we have not yet heard of any Dept of Treasury enforcement demands made ....yet.

What I can't help you with is whether there was any way HAL itself would have blocked you from disembarking since I left the ship on a HAL tour - but the whole operation did seem much more casual so would HAL actually have your ship card blocked at the ship's exits to keep you from departing the ship if you were not on ship's tour. This seems unlikely but maybe they could do that. ??????

But once you "escape" the ship, there seemed to be nothing that would prevent you from going out on your own from that point forward once you pass Cuba customs, which was just a perfunctory check and nod. Did Cuba immigration know who signed up for tours not? (Or care) This is a very lovely cruise terminal and all of Havana at your feet the moment you stepped outside -with an array of gorgeous vintage convertibles waiting to get hired. Keep you receipts, know your restrictions, and the rest is up to you. And a five year statute of limitation to worry about being a US Dept of Treasury scofflaw.

HAL encourages you to fill out the 4 page Affidavit in your boarding pass documents to cover both private and official touring to keep your own flexibility - which means you have agreed to meet all the Dept of Treasury paper work requirements that might later be requested that fulfill these new Cuba restrictions. I would certainly look at the Dept of Treasury list of "prohibited" activities and agencies and up front try to avoid them if you are doing your own private touring.

You might check out Jeff Farschman's blog, amazingvoyages2.blogspot.com. He was on the Veendam late December 2017 and had independent tours. There did not seem to be a problem. In addition to a great narrative and fabulous photos he explains how they met the U.S. regulations for visiting Cuba. Hope this helps. Cherie

You might check out Jeff Farschman's blog, amazingvoyages2.blogspot.com. He was on the Veendam late December 2017 and had independent tours. There did not seem to be a problem. In addition to a great narrative and fabulous photos he explains how they met the U.S. regulations for visiting Cuba. Hope this helps. Cherie

Thanks for this post and Jeff's blog! amazing photos and detailed account of his Cuban experience...Thanks so much for the info! We will be in Cuba on the Veendam March 17th itinerary, and the photos (especially Trinidad) were fantastic and helpful as to what to expect..

Karen