Military Appreciation Promotion - Change Fee

MtMoose

My daughter and her fiance, who is currently deployed with the military, booked a cruise on the Vista for their honeymoon in September, under the military appreciation sale Carnival had in November.

They now need to change their cruise to a different date and chose a cruise on the Horizon in October due to a scheduling conflict.

When my daughter called to make the change, she was told that there would be a $50 per person administrative fee to change their reservation. She would totally understand this for a cancellation, but just to change dates/ships? Carnival is still getting her money regardless, and this seems absurd to charge just to have a PVP move them to a different sailing.

She knew about the $50 fee for some of the other fares, and admittedly she should have read the fine print better, but we never would have guessed that this would apply to the military rate, because typically these types of things are more flexible due to the nature of the frequent changes in schedule military members have.

Has anyone successfully been able to get that fee waived before just to change sailings?

I don't know the answer to your question but do know that sometimes Military discount is connected to non-refundable. That's not always the case! Just depends on the promotion..We have done ES and yes did lose the $50 per person to change ships/sailings.

Military appreciation is just that, appreciation and has nothing to do with change or conflict in schedule. It’s a rate to say thank you for your service but they don’t change all of their policies just because you’re in the military. If they booked the cruise and then got deployed or put on any other official orders then yes Carnival will allow them to change or cancel without penalty, but since they were already deployed they took that chance by booking a cruise when they more than anyone knows the risk of change.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Per the terms and conditions, there should NOT be a change fee. Under the military T&C, it says:

"

. Normal individual deposit and cancellation policies will apply. "

These are the normal T&C:

2,3,4 & 5 day cruises (excluding all Alaska, Europe, Transatlantic, and Panama Canal cruises; and all cruises purchased under the Pack & Go fare):

Up to 61 days

None (except Pack & Go, Early Saver* and Super Saver fares**) 60 to 46 days

Deposit 45 to 30 days

Deposit or 50% of Total Fare, whichever is greater 29 to 15 days

Deposit or 75% of Total Fare, whichever is greater 14 days or less

100% of Total Fare

6-9 day cruises (excluding all Alaska, Europe, Transatlantic, and Panama Canal cruises; and all cruises purchased under the Pack & Go fare):

Up to 76 days

None (except Pack & Go, Early Saver* and Super Saver fares**)

75 to 56 days

Deposit 55 to 30 days

Deposit or 50% of Total Fare, whichever is greater 29 to 15 days Deposit or 75% of Total Fare, whichever is greater 14 days or less

100% of Total Fare 10 day or longer cruises, as well as all Alaska, Europe, Transatlantic, and Panama Canal cruises):

Up to 91 days None (except Pack & Go, Early Saver* and Super Saver fares**)

90 to 56 days Deposit 55 to 30 days Deposit or 50% of Total Fare, whichever is greater 29 to 15 days

Deposit or 75% of Total Fare, whichever is greater 14 days or less 100% of Total Fare

All cruises purchased under the Pack & Go fare Any time after booking 100% of Total Fare

Based on this, military rate should be eligible for a full refund. If you can get a full refund, you should be able to make a change without a fee. If you can't, just cancel, get 100% back, and make a new booking.

That didn't copy and paste well. If you google carnival's policies' date=' you can find all that in an easy to read chart.[/quote']

Perfect! Thank you so much!! We'd tried googling but must not have been doing the right search terms.

MILITARY OFFER

Cruise only rates are in U.S. dollars, per person, based on double occupancy. Cruise Fare does not include Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses. Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses range from $40.44 to $222.82, and are assessed on a per guest basis for all guests according to the itinerary. Carnival reserves the right to assess a change fee according to the date of the request, the length of the cruise, and the actual cruise sail date. Offer is capacity controlled and is not applicable with any other discount or promotional offer. Carnival reserves the right to withdraw and/or change offer at any time without prior notice. Normal individual deposit and cancellation policies will apply. Applicable to active/retired US Military and Canadian National Defense members are permitted to book one cabin. Eligibility documents must be submitted to interline@carnival.com for confirmed reservations within 72 hours for cruises outside one week prior to sailing and 24 hours for cruises within one week prior to sailing. Failure to comply with this policy will result in Carnival rescinding the Military discount. Offer does not apply to Carnival Australia sailings. For cruises visiting Cuba: (1) cost of required visa ($75 per person) is additional and will be applied to the onboard Sail * Sign account; and (2) passports are required. Please request fare code PM2. Ships' Registry: The Bahamas, Panama & Malta.

The last time I booked the military rate, it was tied to early saver conditions. This may not be the case in your situation. But according to their terms, they can assess a change fee. I would cancel outright and rebook, unless there was a special non refundable deposit.

There are sometimes different Military Rates that may be booked. Last November when Carnival offered the Military Appreciation sale, the rate terms were all similar to the Early Saver rates where you cannot make change the sail date (even before final payment) without paying the $50pp change/cancelation fee. That might work great for the veterans who were included in the offer, but as an active duty family, it is extremely difficult to book far in advance without the risk of having schedules or orders suddenly change on you. I had 2 cruises in mind to book but because of the terms, I did not. I sent an email to Carnival politely explaining as much. It was really nice of them to try and do something to recognize members of the military, but the way it was implemented made it difficult for active duty members to actually use. I never complain when companies offer benefits to military, but I did explain reality and how the offer as written was difficult for active duty to take advantage of without putting money at risk. I would encourage others to contact Carnival letting them know about the tenuous nature of military leave when you see similar rates offered. For now, I only book the regular, cancellable military rates.

I don't know the terms under which you are booked, other than it is a military rate. If you are aware that there is a charge to cancel the cruise, you are, in effect, canceling the cruise booked and rebooking another. So, to me, if there is a charge for canceling, just like the Early Saver rate, the penalty will apply.

It is so important to look at exactly what is being booked and not just decide, this is the cheapest only to find out there are conditions that you may not be able to live with. I know about this as it happened to me years ago.

I know exactly what happened. Most of the time there's a military rate that matches Early Saver rates without the Early Saver restrictions. Several months ago the military rate started to pop up with the Early Saver restrictions. As soon as I saw that I saw red. Thanks a LOT Carnival for acting as if you're doing military members and vets a favor. Early Saver restrictions are a cash cow for the line and I'd never book one of them (I lied. I booked the military rate with early saver restrictions for our Mexican Riviera cruise). I'm very sorry your daughter was suckered into booking the rate without being notified that it's not a true military rate. It's actually Early Saver with a different title.

Sometimes Carnival $uck$.

I see you are booked for Princess next. I hope you got your military onboard credit for that cruise. It's a GREAT benefit!

For future reference' date=' military people cam also book the lowest price without worry about it being non refundable if the travel insurance covers military obligations. Ours does. But, I don't know if that is common or the exception.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

There are several credit cards that offer travel insurance which cover military for free as long as the travel is purchased with the card. I use one of these cards because as much as I try to ensure we can still go on the trip before I make the final payment, changes can still happen. However, I don't feel right about booking the Early Saver fares knowing the travel insurance will cover any loss. I'd much prefer to see Carnival's intention to provide a benefit to the military change so that it actually can benefit the military.