Drinking water/bottled water

Jakk

On most ships you'll find a bottle of water in your cabin but you will be charged quite a bit for it. We never buy them so don't know price. Room steward will replace any you use. We have had no problem with ship's water. Hint from our son who used to travel a lot.... When in a hotel use water from melted ice to make your coffee in morning. He says that water used to make ice is better filtered than tap water. Found coffee much better when made with melted ice. Don't know if this is true of ships though! Going on NCL for New Years and may try this. NCL has small coffee pots in each cabin!

I am bringing my own bottled water. Last time I cruised I had terrible swelling in my feet, due, I believe, to the amount of sodium in the ship's water. The de-salinization process doesn't remove all the salt from the water and it was more than I am used to.

Is fine.

I don't have a problem with the non-bottled water. I do usually only buy one or two of the larger bottles, then refill them at the self serve area on the ships before I go to the pool, or on an excursion.

I do agree though with the poster who had swollen feet. The process that makes the water potable does not always remove all of the sodium, not that it tastes like salty water, it is not detectable, but if you are on a sodium restricted diet, or tend to retain fluids bottled water may be best for you. Most bottled waters also contain traces of sodium...its something we can never really get away from.

Dave:eek:

I usually take along a few bottles of my favorite bottled water. That's a sentence you would not have read 10 years ago! I will drink the water served at meal time and use my bottled water in the cabin. I've also been able to replenish my supply in ports.

There is no need to smuggle water, they let you bring your own on!

We also do both. We bring on a couple of bottles and refill them from the tap. If it's convenient and economical to buy water near the ship when we're in port, we restock. Otherwise, we just drink the tap water. I haven't noticed any problem with water-related swelling, just caloric intake-related bloat. Or is the salt in the air?:D

:confused: This issue is moot. Ship's water is just as safe and pure as bottled water in my estimation.

We've never bought bottled water, and never have had a problem.

:mad: Swelling feet and ankles are the nature of the Caribbean. We've been told it's the heat and lattitude that contribute to this.

Most bottled water (not nec' 'spring water') is purified via reverse osmosis (RO).

And RO units are sold as home purification units: http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/

How does a ship make its fresh water? While some older ships still use evaporators which actually boil seawater to make steam then condense the steam to get fresh H2O....most use....you guessed it....RO. (Steam is a pain to work with.....)

So the water you get out of the tap on the ship is the same as the water in your $?.00 bottle... Now the stuff in the bottle may have had something put back in for flavor...and the stuff on the ship does too to enhance storability (chlorine or bromide probably). So we're still equal.

You do have the potential issue of contamination in the pipes and storage tanks on the ship, but you have that in the storage tanks of the bottling plant to. Hmmmm, still equal. Now some ships do top off their water tanks when they come into port. But if they do that it will only be after they test the water quality. Plus, since they must buy that water the per gallon cost plays in vs making it themselves.

Kinda comes down to taste, cost and a label don't it?

Archived