Wine drinkers on Celebrity

goldenshore

It is not just wine that you need to be careful with. Ordering anything from the waiters in the Martini is more than a bit hit or miss when they go into the pantry to make up your drinks. You need to make sure you see them pouring from the bottle to be sure that you are getting what you asked for.

It is ok if you go to the bar as the drinks are made up in front of you.

I’ve never had a problem with the drinks I’ve ordered. I was always shown the wine bottle and offered a taste prior to pouring and at the other bars the drinks were always as ordered. Until this thread I’d never heard of anyone having this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have booked a cruise on the Summit and got the Classic drink package as a perk. I know everyone has different tastes but I wondered what the general consensus is about the wine selection offered with that package. Does everyone think I will definitely want to upgrade to Premium or will the wines in the Classic package be decent?

Since I, for one, have never drank with you before OR know your preferences, no way to know or speculate on rather or not you 'definitely' want to upgrade.

My thought is that you may want to visit X's website and review the sample of brands/beverages/wines included in each package and decide if any of the wines and/or liquors showing as included will suit you or not. Remember this is only a sample of what was on-board at the time the list was created. There are threads which ask about specific brands/beverages/wines as well.

Yes, each of us have different taste so to ask about something like this knowing that, well???? Guess there is no problem with casting out a wide net and see what you get as opposed to waiting to get on-board and deciding there.

I understand you are new here, as well. There is a search function at the top right section of the website here where one can find quite a few threads on this topic, many of which are very informative and may better help you decide one way or another...

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

It is not just wine that you need to be careful with. Ordering anything from the waiters in the Martini is more than a bit hit or miss when they go into the pantry to make up your drinks. You need to make sure you see them pouring from the bottle to be sure that you are getting what you asked for.

It is ok if you go to the bar as the drinks are made up in front of you.

A lot of people assume the bartenders look at the seapass card and pour the appropriate wine (or hard stuff). They don't. If you want a specific product you have to ask for it. I've been sitting at the sunset bar and watched a passenger get all irate for not getting his "premium" wine. But I was sitting there when he ordered his chardonnay. He didn't specify so the waiter grabbed the nearest bottle and poured it. Also saw another passenger at the pool bar get in a tissy because they used Smirnoff in his drink when he had the premium package. Again, he just ordered a vodka tonic and that's what the bartender gave him. If you want a specific brand, you have to ask for it.

I spend a fair bit of time parked on a barstool and I'm pretty familiar with how they operate. They are not trying to cheat anyone. They are trying to get the drinks out and keep people happy. I've never seen anyone order a specific alcohol and have the bartender sneak something else into the glass. If they don't have it they tell the customer and offer an alternative.

Unless you are very picky about your wine I think you will be fine. You can upgrade onboard if you can't find anything to your liking on the classic package. We drink a lot of wine (usually reds) and have had no issues with the wine on the classic package. it's not great wine but it's horrible either. You can also just pay the difference if you want a more expensive wine occasionally.

Yes you can make the classic plan work, but it is work, we have tried both Classic and premium and can tell you that the premium plan is a much more pleasant experience, not only to enjoy better wines but just to avoid the usual questions at order time. Is it included? , "You ca get this but not this" , "Your plan does not cover this one". And every bar tender and waiter seems to have different ideas as to what is included. It is worth it to upgrade.

Cheers.

A lot of people assume the bartenders look at the seapass card and pour the appropriate wine (or hard stuff). They don't. If you want a specific product you have to ask for it. I've been sitting at the sunset bar and watched a passenger get all irate for not getting his "premium" wine. But I was sitting there when he ordered his chardonnay. He didn't specify so the waiter grabbed the nearest bottle and poured it. Also saw another passenger at the pool bar get in a tissy because they used Smirnoff in his drink when he had the premium package. Again, he just ordered a vodka tonic and that's what the bartender gave him. If you want a specific brand, you have to ask for it.

I spend a fair bit of time parked on a barstool and I'm pretty familiar with how they operate. They are not trying to cheat anyone. They are trying to get the drinks out and keep people happy. I've never seen anyone order a specific alcohol and have the bartender sneak something else into the glass. If they don't have it they tell the customer and offer an alternative.

One thing that I have always done after many years in all inclusive's and cruises with drinks packages is that I ask for the exact spirit I want. If I want vodka I ask for Grey Goose or whatever other drink I have. I never ask for the generic drink type. That would be like asking for a whisky and getting surprosed if you got an blend rather than the 18yo Macallan I really wanted.

I can only speak from my own experience. I know what Grey Goose or Bacardi or whichever rum I decide to have tastes like and I know that, on a number of occasions from the Martini bar pantry area that I have not received what I asked for. I have advised the waiter straight away that he has not given me what I ordered. I have then gone to the bar and stood and waited to be served from there with the drink I asked for.

I know how busy all the staff are particularly around showtime but I will not take what I do not like.

One thing that I have always done after many years in all inclusive's and cruises with drinks packages is that I ask for the exact spirit I want. If I want vodka I ask for Grey Goose or whatever other drink I have. I never ask for the generic drink type. That would be like asking for a whisky and getting surprosed if you got an blend rather than the 18yo Macallan I really wanted.

I can only speak from my own experience. I know what Grey Goose or Bacardi or whichever rum I decide to have tastes like and I know that, on a number of occasions from the Martini bar pantry area that I have not received what I asked for. I have advised the waiter straight away that he has not given me what I ordered. I have then gone to the bar and stood and waited to be served from there with the drink I asked for.

I know how busy all the staff are particularly around showtime but I will not take what I do not like.

I do find that's often a problem when there is a person between you and the bartender. Once a waiter get's involved who knows what you're going to get. I have had my Macallan turn into Dewars, it's like magic.... but in a bad way. Happens a lot in the Sky Lounge, which is why I mostly go to the bar myself now.

I do find that's often a problem when there is a person between you and the bartender. Once a waiter get's involved who knows what you're going to get. I have had my Macallan turn into Dewars, it's like magic.... but in a bad way. Happens a lot in the Sky Lounge, which is why I mostly go to the bar myself now.

I have got to that stage now. I always did go to the bar if we were on deck to get a bit of exercise and have made a point to do so at other bars since we had this issue not just once but a number if times and it doesn't seem to matter which ship you are on. I do understand that they are busy and rushed at times but you never get this happening when you are standing watching the barmen pouring your drink.

The only place that seems immune to this is Michael's Club.