Dinner in the Windjammer on Allure

TCBFlash

What is dinner like in the Windjammer on Allure? Do they offer the same food as in the MDR or is it all buffet style? We are sailing with a large group in April and are considering skipping the craziness of the MDR for a night or two and going more casual. I have never done this on a Royal Caribbean ship so I'm asking all of you. Thanks for any info you have!

What is dinner like in the Windjammer on Allure? Do they offer the same food as in the MDR or is it all buffet style? We are sailing with a large group in April and are considering skipping the craziness of the MDR for a night or two and going more casual. I have never done this on a Royal Caribbean ship so I'm asking all of you. Thanks for any info you have!

It's buffet style. You may find an entree or two from the MDR.

We may only do one night in the dining room (MTD) if at all....After many cruises we find the WJ a bit more relaxing in the evenings and a lot less crowded. Usually the only ones in there besides other's that feel the way we do are the ships crew (officer's) and the captain.

Does anyone know what happens if you booked a my time slot at the MDR, and then decide you want to go to Windjammers instead, and so just don't show up at the MRD? Do they get upset and cancel other bookings throughout the week?

I have booked all 7 nights in the MRD to give us the "option" of dining there without crazy long lines, but seeing it is our first cruise on Allure, who knows... maybe after 2 days my wife might decide she would prefer the buffet for a night on a spur of the moment decision.

Does anyone know what happens if you booked a my time slot at the MDR, and then decide you want to go to Windjammers instead, and so just don't show up at the MRD? Do they get upset and cancel other bookings throughout the week?

I have booked all 7 nights in the MRD to give us the "option" of dining there without crazy long lines, but seeing it is our first cruise on Allure, who knows... maybe after 2 days my wife might decide she would prefer the buffet for a night on a spur of the moment decision.

Out of courtesy I would inform them if you are not going. That is if you know in advance. If it is a last minute change, I wouldn't worry.

It is a buffet. In my opinion a really good choice and worth checking out at least on one night so that you can make up your mind.

It does get busy so try and avoid peak periods. Best strategy is to join the line before it opens if you are an early eater or go late.

Eating in MDR is quite casual IMO. Can feel a little busy or hectic but no more than eating in the WJ. At least you will be seated and served.

They won't cancel your bookings, but I would contact them any night you know you are not going to make it.

The Solarium Café is another nice dinner option. I believe it is now complimentary (with upcharges on a couple of items). Also, I believe they require reservations.

We went to dinner in the WJ on our Allure cruise a few weeks ago. We had eaten in specialty restaurants all week and the last night we didn't want to go to one so we went to the WJ.

I had read on here that the last night had a great seafood buffet with lobster as well as other foods. They did not have any lobster but they did have some really good fried fish. They had turkey which was also served in the MDR that night, but the stuffing they had was not like that we had last summer when we ate in the MDR.

I guess because it was the last night, it was very busy and crowded. There were long(ish) lines at every station and the one at the crepe station was especially long.

For me, this wasn't a great experience and I guess I would say it was my first and last time I would have dinner in the WJ. I realize that not everyone feels as I do and many enjoy it, but it isn't for me.

The Solarium Café is another nice dinner option. I believe it is now complimentary (with upcharges on a couple of items). Also, I believe they require reservations.

This does not exist for dinner on Allure, sorry. It's Samba Grill, a specialty restaurant with a cover charge.

We went to dinner in the WJ on our Allure cruise a few weeks ago. We had eaten in specialty restaurants all week and the last night we didn't want to go to one so we went to the WJ.

I had read on here that the last night had a great seafood buffet with lobster as well as other foods. They did not have any lobster but they did have some really good fried fish. They had turkey which was also served in the MDR that night, but the stuffing they had was not like that we had last summer when we ate in the MDR.

I guess because it was the last night, it was very busy and crowded. There were long(ish) lines at every station and the one at the crepe station was especially long.

For me, this wasn't a great experience and I guess I would say it was my first and last time I would have dinner in the WJ. I realize that not everyone feels as I do and many enjoy it, but it isn't for me.

I agree WJ can get very busy but I wouldn't be put off by a single bad experience. It does vary and if you avoid likely peak periods then you can avoid the crowds and the lines. Not for everyone perhaps but I believe the WJ on Oasis class ships offers really good choice and something worth checking out for yourself from time to time. We usually go when the MDR menu doesn't appeal or if we don't want a long drawn out meal.

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone!

It's been interesting to read this thread. I've been on six cruises, and it just occurred to me that we've NEVER had dinner in the main buffet. No matter what ship. On the Allure, we never went to the Windjammer at all, we really liked the buffet for breakfast in the Solarium (Highly recommended; few seem to know about it and it was never terribly busy. Same food.)

We enjoy the MDR too much to forgo for dinner...but we're always just the two of us. I can certainly see how trying to manage it every night for a large group could be a bit daunting, and how the buffet could be a relaxing (if noisy) alternative.