Purchasing a bottle for the room....worth it?

rexy69

LOL...has no one here heard of a flask? Every other comment mentions going back to the cabin.

I forgot that I had an empty flask in my carryon and I had to open the carryon and show security that there was nothing in it.

We did this flying to Seattle a couple years ago. We gave the empties to the flight attendant. She told us consuming our own during the flight was against some rule or other. Now we stow the empties til we land[emoji16]

The "some rule or other" is actually federal law, so that the airlines can control alcohol consumption, just like the cruise lines do. Only flight attendants are allowed to prepare and serve alcoholic beverages. A first class passenger was passenger was recently kicked off a flight when he attempted to serve his complimentary cocktails to his friends in coach.

To me, the bottle is the best option. Especially as my go-to is a Jack and Coke, and the girlfriend doesn't drink much. A 1 liter bottle of Jack would cost me about $5 per drink, assuming I pour 1.5 ounces in each one. A Jack and Coke at the bar is what, $7 $8? + 15% gratuity. I'd also rather cut out all of the extra sugar from the Coke and just make myself doubles. I love that I get to control my own drink. I bring Coke Life on board. IMO, it is the next best tasting Coke next to regular, and it really cut down on the sugar and calories. Cane sugar and Stevia. It's no hassle to have to go to my room. I stop by the room many times per day and a double will last me until my next visit. If I want to buy a drink by the pool or somewhere else, sometimes I buy one. It's apparently very stressful to a lot of people to have anything other than Cheers.

Other than that, I'll top it off with a beer here and there, preferably self-pour. An Alchemy or two here and there. For me it's not realistic to drink too many Alchemy drinks to "get my value's worth with Cheers". That is way too much sugar. I also don't want to spend all of that money on Cheers and then limit myself while at port.

I agree with you, Joebucks. I always buy a bottle of Bacardi for my cabin, and my main reason is also being able to better control what goes into my drink which cuts way down on the sugar. And I don't ingest artificial sweeteners, so "skinny" mixers are not an option for me.

• 3 weeks later...
My point was why are you comparing $80 to $900? As you said, Cheers never was an option. The alternative to bottle service is really per-drink-purchases, so you should be comparing $80 to $140. Dumb to even compare it to Cheers.

Be nice