Buying bottles of liquor onboard the ship if you do not have a drinks package?

ace2542

Opinions please. We are only getting one drinks package my father would not drink anything like enough to make it worth while him getting one. He would likely drink one bottle of liquor over the 9 night cruise.

Obviously I don’t know what your specifics are with regard to how many rooms you have booked and who is in each room, or whether you are referring to purchasing the drinks package or getting it as a promo.

Just checking that you are aware that if one person buys the UBP then everyone else in the room also has to buy it. That may not be relevant to you and doesn’t apply to the promo UBP, but thought I’d check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call NCL and see if they still offer a bar set-up in the room. In the past this has been the cheapest way to purchase liquor by the bottle for onboard consumption, because they only charged a $3 service charge per bottle. I don't know if that's still the case. If you buy a bottle from one of the ship's bars or via room service during the cruise, they will add 20% to the price.

You may have been looking at an old menu, because the last time I checked (which was already a while ago), the base price was $99/$109/$139 per bottle, depending on the brand. This is for one-liter bottles.

If you do contact NCL about the bar set-up, it would be helpful if you asked them to e-mail the list of brands and prices and re-posted it here. It has been a while since someone posted up-to-date information about this.

Obviously I don’t know what your specifics are with regard to how many rooms you have booked and who is in each room, or whether you are referring to purchasing the drinks package or getting it as a promo.

Just checking that you are aware that if one person buys the UBP then everyone else in the room also has to buy it. That may not be relevant to you and doesn’t apply to the promo UBP, but thought I’d check.

I will cancel the cruise then if that has to happen we are not spending 2000 american dollars to drink 600 dollars worth. The package is supposed to be included in the agents price if it is not i will cancel the cruise and report the agency to the police for fraud. Deposit was only 150 english money for 2 people. I would rather travel with a better value for money line then ending up paying 3000 english pounds for 9 nights inside cabin.

I will cancel the cruise then if that has to happen we are not spending 2000 american dollars to drink 600 dollars worth. The package is supposed to be included in the agents price if it is not i will cancel the cruise and report the agency to the police for fraud. Deposit was only 150 english money for 2 people. I would rather travel with a better value for money line then ending up paying 3000 english pounds for 9 nights inside cabin.

Hang on. I think you are getting confused.

Did you book the cruise recently in the UK? If so then, unless you specifically booked the "just cruise" rate then the UBP is included for everyone, including your father.

I think you need to speak to your agent and clarify exactly what you have booked.

Best not mention the police until you have worked out the facts. :)

• Like 1

Hang on. I think you are getting confused.

Did you book the cruise recently in the UK? If so then, unless you specifically booked the "just cruise" rate then the UBP is included for everyone, including your father.

I think you need to speak to your agent and clarify exactly what you have booked.

Best not mention the police until you have worked out the facts. :)

Yes I booked in UK I will not name the agency. It was my bad I thought they had failed to include the UPB in the cruise despite agreeing to do so. I re-read the email they sent and it is there but the email was poorly presented to be fair. The only issue now is that my ncl page does not show the UPB as being included in the cruise as of yet.

Edited by ace2542

Yes I booked in UK I will not name the agency. It was my bad I thought they had failed to include the UPB in the cruise despite agreeing to do so. I re-read the email they sent and it is there but the email was poorly presented to be fair. The only issue now is that my ncl page does not show the UPB as being included in the cruise as of yet.

As far as I can tell, the UBP and other things that come with don't show up on your myncl page. If they are shown on the confirmation from your TA then you are fine.

The all inclusive extras don't come from the travel agent, by the way. You get them as standard when booking NCL cruises, unless you book using the rate that specifically excludes them (Just Cruise).

As far as I can tell, the UBP and other things that come with don't show up on your myncl page. If they are shown on the confirmation from your TA then you are fine.

The all inclusive extras don't come from the travel agent, by the way. You get them as standard when booking NCL cruises, unless you book using the rate that specifically excludes them (Just Cruise).

With this particular deal done we get dinning package for 3 nights as well and that has shown up along with on board credit we were promised.

My ncl shows my UBP, go to vacation summary and scroll down to bottom it should be there with your dining.

I have checked it is not displayed at the moment. Though it is mentioned in the additional notes. I have pasted the additional notes from the agencies booking confirmatio below without naming either myself or the agency. The ship is the Jade. Spelling as it appears on email.

With ultimate beverage and coffe package, $100 on board spend. Plus 3 night specialt dining, free 60 min. internet each

My ncl shows my UBP, go to vacation summary and scroll down to bottom it should be there with your dining.

This is a slightly different thing.

I have two cruises currently booked. One of them was booked a while ago, when we had to select the UBP as a perk. In that case, it shows up as you described.

The second one was booked using all inclusive, as is the case for the OP. On that one, none of the things that you get with all inclusive show up. That is, as I understand it, how it works with the all inclusive.

With this particular deal done we get dinning package for 3 nights as well and that has shown up along with on board credit we were promised.

Yes, NCL are currently offering that deal. OBC is you book before about April and the dining plan if you book before the end of today. It isn't a special from the agent. As it is not part of the all inclusive package then it is likely that it will show up in the holiday summary.

Yes, NCL are currently offering that deal. OBC is you book before about April and the dining plan if you book before the end of today. It isn't a special from the agent. As it is not part of the all inclusive package then it is likely that it will show up in the holiday summary.

They spun it that to me on their site that was their big sale idea. UPB is also included in our deal it says so on the recording of the call and the paperwork from the agent. I shall telephone the agent this evening but I will cancel if we have to buy 2 UPB at hundreds of pounds each when one member of the party would not consume anything like an amount to make the package worthwhile. There are perhaps better value packages doing similar sailings on different ships.

It is more likely than not a simple clerical issue the cabin number has been assigned. But I bought an package with upgrade to drinks, wifi,obc etc which was the point of making that purchase in my eyes.

Edited by ace2542

They spun it that to me on their site that was their big sale idea. UPB is also included in our deal it says so on the recording of the call and the paperwork from the agent. I shall telephone the agent this evening but I will cancel if we have to buy 2 UPB at hundreds of pounds each when one member of the party would not consume anything like an amount to make the package worthwhile. There are perhaps better value packages doing similar sailings on different ships.

It is more likely than not a simple clerical issue.

It isn't even a clerical issue. It's a non issue.

The all inclusive items, like the UBP don't show up on myncl. You state that they are on the confirmation that you got from your TA, which is where they should be. You aren't going to have to buy one beverage package, let alone two, as you already have them.

It is more likely than not a simple clerical issue the cabin number has been assigned. But I bought an package with upgrade to drinks, wifi,obc etc which was the point of making that purchase in my eyes.

You paid for an All Inclusive package, that package includes drinks. There is no UBP. Anybody getting an All Inclusive Package has to start remembering this. One element of the package is what other people get as the UBP. It will not show on your MyNCL page. The Speciality Dining and OBC will because they are additional to the package.

Your TA is only guilty of muddying the waters in regard of what NCL are giving you and what they claim you are getting by booking with them.

It isn't even a clerical issue. It's a non issue.

The all inclusive items, like the UBP don't show up on myncl. You state that they are on the confirmation that you got from your TA, which is where they should be. You aren't going to have to buy one beverage package, let alone two, as you already have them.

Thank you for your reply Keith But I could swear it showed up when we did the Gem sailing booked through a different agency last Christmas. Perhaps I am mistaken about that but I would swear it was. On myncl I can buy the package at a cost of £677 if I wish to do so which I do not understand because on the Gem i would swear when you selected the UPB it said included and you could not buy it.

I am so confused. Are there just 2 in the cabin? If so both already have the drinks package so nothing additional would need to be purchased for anybody.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am sorry I am sure I am the person in the wrong on all this I will speak to the agent again and it will all be revealed to my satisfaction.

The way it shows up in my ncl has changed in the U.K. since the introduction of the all inclusive last year. I just booked my first cruise under the all inclusive (all my previous bookings I either paid or took it as a perk) and it no longer shows on my ncl as UBP, but my confirmation receipt does indeed show UBP included... (I too had a bit of worry for a while until the confirmation / receipt came through from NCL)....

Thank you for your reply Keith But I could swear it showed up when we did the Gem sailing booked through a different agency last Christmas. Perhaps I am mistaken about that but I would swear it was. On myncl I can buy the package at a cost of £677 if I wish to do so which I do not understand because on the Gem i would swear when you selected the UPB it said included and you could not buy it.

When did you book the previous one? Was it before or after the all inclusive rates were introduced? Before that we used to get the UBP as a promo and this did show up on myncl (as is the case for the first of my upcoming cruises).

Now, with all inclusive, it appears not to show up in myncl, as it really is part of the rate, rather than a promo that you choose.

Call NCL and see if they still offer a bar set-up in the room. In the past this has been the cheapest way to purchase liquor by the bottle for onboard consumption, because they only charged a $3 service charge per bottle. I don't know if that's still the case. If you buy a bottle from one of the ship's bars or via room service during the cruise, they will add 20% to the price.

You may have been looking at an old menu, because the last time I checked (which was already a while ago), the base price was $99/$109/$139 per bottle, depending on the brand. This is for one-liter bottles.

If you do contact NCL about the bar set-up, it would be helpful if you asked them to e-mail the list of brands and prices and re-posted it here. It has been a while since someone posted up-to-date information about this.

The BAR SET-UP from my Ancient Age Liquor files - dated and aged files that is:

These alcoholic beverages are sold as Bar Set Up amenity orders. Available on all Ships excluding Pride of America.

Please Note: Pricing from Nov. 2013

Bar Set-Up is available for all stateroom categories.

Bar Set-Up is available for purchase onboard but you will be charged 15% on top of the price of the bottle instead of the $3 service fee.

Bar Set-Up must be pre-arranged before the voyage and can be requested up to the day prior to sailing.

Prices are subject to change. Service fee of $3.00 per bottle will be applied. 1.800.327.7030

Bourbon/Whiskey

Seagram's 7 Crown $80 1 Ltr

Jack Daniel's Black $100 1 Ltr

Crown Royal Special Reserve $100 750 Ml

Cognac

Courvoisier VS $120 750 ml

Rémy Martin V.S.O.P $100 700 ml

Gin

Beefeater $80 1 Ltr

Bombay Sapphire $100 1 Ltr

Liqueurs

Baileys Irish Cream $100 1 Ltr

Southern Comfort $100 1 Ltr

Disaronno Amaretto $100 1 Ltr

Godiva Chocolate $100 750 Ml

Grand Marnier $100 1 Ltr

Kahlua $100 1 Ltr

Rum

Bacardi Superior $80 1 Ltr

Captain Morgan $80 1 Ltr

Scotch Whiskey

J&B Rare $80 1 Ltr

Glenfiddich $100 1 Ltr

Chivas Regal $100 1 Ltr

JW Black $123 980 Ml

Tequila

Cuervo Gold $80 1 Ltr

1800 Reposado $100 750 Ml

Don Julio Reposado $120 750 Ml

Vodka

Smirnoff $80 1 Ltr

Absolut $100 1 Ltr

Absolut Citron $100 1 Ltr

Absolut Apeach $100 1 Ltr

Grey Goose $120 1 Ltr

Grey Goose L'Orange $120 1 Ltr

Grey Goose La Poire $120 1 Ltr

X X X X X

You can order the Bar Set Up in advance or while on board.

On board call Room Services - inquire of the total price including gratuities to avoid surprises.

When broken down to the bare facts of purchase price the Bar Set Up does slightly beat the

UBP for single one kind of beverage drink and provides beverage service in your cabin at your convenience.

Crisis averted. Thank you for your replies. I did not understand the booking procedures correctly. The agency confirms that the cruise has been booked on all inclusive basis which include the UBP x2. I however was under the mistaken impression that the term all inclusive meant gratuities were included and the UBP would be listed separately.

Thank you for your help.

The BAR SET-UP from my Ancient Age Liquor files - dated and aged files that is:

These alcoholic beverages are sold as Bar Set Up amenity orders. Available on all Ships excluding Pride of America.

Please Note: Pricing from Nov. 2013

Bar Set-Up is available for all stateroom categories.

Bar Set-Up is available for purchase onboard but you will be charged 15% on top of the price of the bottle instead of the $3 service fee.

Bar Set-Up must be pre-arranged before the voyage and can be requested up to the day prior to sailing.

Prices are subject to change. Service fee of $3.00 per bottle will be applied. 1.800.327.7030

Bourbon/Whiskey

Seagram's 7 Crown $80 1 Ltr

Jack Daniel's Black $100 1 Ltr

Crown Royal Special Reserve $100 750 Ml

Cognac

Courvoisier VS $120 750 ml

Rémy Martin V.S.O.P $100 700 ml

Gin

Beefeater $80 1 Ltr

Bombay Sapphire $100 1 Ltr

Liqueurs

Baileys Irish Cream $100 1 Ltr

Southern Comfort $100 1 Ltr

Disaronno Amaretto $100 1 Ltr

Godiva Chocolate $100 750 Ml

Grand Marnier $100 1 Ltr

Kahlua $100 1 Ltr

Rum

Bacardi Superior $80 1 Ltr

Captain Morgan $80 1 Ltr

Scotch Whiskey

J&B Rare $80 1 Ltr

Glenfiddich $100 1 Ltr

Chivas Regal $100 1 Ltr

JW Black $123 980 Ml

Tequila

Cuervo Gold $80 1 Ltr

1800 Reposado $100 750 Ml

Don Julio Reposado $120 750 Ml

Vodka

Smirnoff $80 1 Ltr

Absolut $100 1 Ltr

Absolut Citron $100 1 Ltr

Absolut Apeach $100 1 Ltr

Grey Goose $120 1 Ltr

Grey Goose L'Orange $120 1 Ltr

Grey Goose La Poire $120 1 Ltr

X X X X X

You can order the Bar Set Up in advance or while on board.

On board call Room Services - inquire of the total price including gratuities to avoid surprises.

When broken down to the bare facts of purchase price the Bar Set Up does slightly beat the

UBP for single one kind of beverage drink and provides beverage service in your cabin at your convenience.

From what I can remember of the menus at Shakers Martini Bar on the Gem this past christmas. Bottles were either $99 or $119 plus service charge I think.