teens and late seating dinner??

Shelley9962

::Sigh:: Originally, we asked for late seating, but were placed on early seating but on the "waiting list" for late seating. I found out today that we have late seating -- how much is that going to mess up things for our 14 and 17 year old in terms of the teen stuff? We're back on the waiting list for EARLY dinner

We're sailing on the Legend... in what, four days? How much is this going to mess things up for my kids?

They probably wont be missing more than one event a day, and it might cut slightly into the beginning of the disco dancing they have every night at 9pm for teens. Don't worry though, they won't miss too much :)

If you really want it changed though then I agree with big_duck, to talk to the Maitre d'

When booking a cruise, you "request" your dining time. There is NO way anybody knows for sure until they receive their Sail & Sign card just prior to boarding the ship. All requests are just that - requests.

When you see your S&S card and note the time - if it isn't what you want, check with the Maitre d'.

A copy of the Capers will be in your cabin upon arrival. There will be an announcement in there as to when and where to see the Maitre d' about any dining requests.:)

I too have had the same concerns but decided to request the early seating because I'm afraid the kids will miss too much. Mainly I'm afraid they will miss much of their time in the disco. The legend doesn't have it's own teen disco so the teens will have limited time in the there. I'm not thrilled about the early seating, especially on port days but figure it's best for my kids. It won't be long before they grow up and my husband an I will be cruising w/o them. When that time comes, then we'll request the late seating.

Hi,

Merry Christmas to you all,

We have sailed with our kids and have had late dinner . My kids were always chomping at the bit to go to the teen stuff. This cruise, next Sunday, we ahave early seating for dinner. We know we have to get back early from shore excursions, but we will have more time after supper to watch the shows and our kids will be happy. We will let you know what time is best with teens when we return on the 8th.

Brenda

Most of the teen activities are closed from 5 to 7pm. (early dining)

the activiities are in full swing by 8pm with the disco open to only them til 10:30 so you see- a late seating will hamper their activity time.

Like the previous posters stated. as soon as you get onboard-- look and see where the matre de is going to be.. see him as soon as possible. THe earlier you get it done the better your chances.

Having late dinner your kids will not want to eat with you.

My 14 and 17 year olds have an early dinner with us and are then on their way to the cabin to change into jeans and go off to their activities. There would be a mutiny if I requested late seating. We were on a CC group cruise last year and the parents of a 16 year old, who are sailing with us again this year on a CC cruise, have requested early seating this time.

Just becuase this works for us, doesn't mean it works for you. And, yes, it is a rush back from excursions. But...if the teens are happy, we're happy!

What ages are we talking about? I have a 16 and an 18 year old (both boys) and we have requested late sitting, should we change? We are going on the Miracle Jan. 1.:)

thats the age group = mostly all teens.

We took late seating for our first cruise- coz we didnt know better. But the kids knew before we left that dinner was mandatory and not to ask to be excused until dessert is served.

They did miss out on a lot of activities...since most of the kids were in early seating. no teen club on your ship. so by 10:30 the disco will be closed. (thats about when you are done dinner)

I know that many people say that early seating works better for the teens.

I have had both early seating and late seating. I have 4 children ages 8, 9, 13 and 16 and both have worked well for me.

On my last cruise in April I had late seating. I was sailing with only my 12 1/2 y.o. (at the time) DD and our table mates included two 16 y.o girls and two 18 y.o. boys. With the exception of the first night ( the teen meet and greet) all 5 of the teens came to dinner every night and had a fabulous time! They simply made arrangements to meet up with friends when they were done with dinner. The teens did wind up leaving the dining room a little earlier than us adults (but not till after dessert) at the table but we hung around and had after dinner drinks and chatted. All 5 of the teens seemed to be quite happy and actually said that it was nice to have a time out and have a nice dinner with the families. They said that they enjoyed the later dinner because they were able to have a good amount of time to get dressed and ready for the evening and never seemed to feel as if they were missing out on the "organized" activities.

You can always make a request for a dinner time change as other posters have stated. I just wanted to share my experience so that if you do wind up with late dinner seating you know that it can work out!

We always request the 8 o'clock dinner seating. Early dinner is too early for port days and it's our vacation too! Make sure your teen goes to the meet and greet first night to get aquaintted to others their age. My teens would meet us for dinner, then politely excuse themselves before dessert. Never a problem!

On our first cruise we made the mistake of having late seating since we usually eat later at thome. This definitely made a problem for the three teens (then 13-16). Since then we have alswyas eaten early even though it isn't the parents' preference. I would definitely try to change it or you'll find that it does cut into the teen activities. Good Luck and if you do want to change I would do it now. It will be impossible once you set sail. We tried.

Archived