City Cruise Terminal Southampton to Central London - Train

I'm looking at options for my solo cruise ending in Southampton on April 27th. And as a disclaimer, I fully admit to being a little bit of an over-planner when it comes to logistics of travel!

In the past I've taken the National Express bus but it seems to me that I could get there more quickly, more easily in terms of having to drag luggage around, and not too much more expensively by taking the train. I just wanted to verify a couple of things with some of you "experts" before I book train tickets:

1. Is it reasonable to think I could walk from City Cruise Terminal to Southampton Central Rail Station with a roller suitcase and another roller case for my computer? i.e. how long would the walk take and is it reasonably flat and is there a huge amount of traffic on the roads and/or no pedestrian crosswalks? (I've taken a taxi to the bus station in the past but it seems the train station is actually a bit closer, and it looks like I'll only need to cross a couple of streets on the way.) If it's raining I'll grab a cab, and I assume even with a line for the cabs it won't take any more time than walking there in total.

2. Assuming I will need to pick up my pre-paid train ticket from the machine in the train station, what's a reasonable amount of time for me to arrive at the station prior to the time my train leaves for London? I hate to be standing around for a long period of time waiting, but I also don't want to miss my train!

3. Any reason to buy a first class instead of a standard ticket? After 12 days on a cruise ship I don't expect to be very hungry, so food won't be an issue. Any advantages beyond having hot food for sale?

4. The main reason I am thinking of taking the train vs. National Express bus is that to get to Tower Hill or Monument tube stops in London which is where I'll be staying, Waterloo is much more convenient than Victoria Station. Plus I have found the Victoria situation to be a big pain with suitcases--though I'm planning on bringing a lot less stuff and a much smaller suitcase this time than in the past. Is it easy to navigate Waterloo from the area where the train from Southampton will arrive to the Tube? I'm sure I can look up the stairs vs escalators vs elevator situation on the TFL site.

5. Are there a lot of stairs at the Southampton Central train station that I'd have to drag my luggage down/up?

6. Anything I've missed in my thought process?

Thanks in advance!

I'm looking at options for my solo cruise ending in Southampton on April 27th. And as a disclaimer, I fully admit to being a little bit of an over-planner when it comes to logistics of travel!

In the past I've taken the National Express bus but it seems to me that I could get there more quickly, more easily in terms of having to drag luggage around, and not too much more expensively by taking the train. I just wanted to verify a couple of things with some of you "experts" before I book train tickets:

1. Is it reasonable to think I could walk from City Cruise Terminal to Southampton Central Rail Station with a roller suitcase and another roller case for my computer? i.e. how long would the walk take and is it reasonably flat and is there a huge amount of traffic on the roads and/or no pedestrian crosswalks? (I've taken a taxi to the bus station in the past but it seems the train station is actually a bit closer, and it looks like I'll only need to cross a couple of streets on the way.) If it's raining I'll grab a cab, and I assume even with a line for the cabs it won't take any more time than walking there in total.

10-15 min walk...heres a map https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/City+Cruise+Terminal/50.9071706,-1.4143669/@50.9051724,-1.4134425,612m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m14!4m13!1m10!1m1!1s0x0:0x2e8004abdbec5986!2m2!1d-1.4141004!2d50.9000994!3m4!1m2!1d-1.4150054!2d50.9068637!3s0x487476bb887fb181:0x67d22fd425cef755!1m0!3e2 At the station end there is a little footpath that cuts across the green area, but the map won't go that way! 2 main roads to cross, but both have pedestrian traffic lights. Its all on the flat. Just be aware of trucks queuing to re supply the ship when walking up to gate 10 (by the roundabout at the end of Solent Rd).

2. Assuming I will need to pick up my pre-paid train ticket from the machine in the train station, what's a reasonable amount of time for me to arrive at the station prior to the time my train leaves for London? I hate to be standing around for a long period of time waiting, but I also don't want to miss my train! If its just getting it out of the machine, 10 mins should be ample.

3. Any reason to buy a first class instead of a standard ticket? After 12 days on a cruise ship I don't expect to be very hungry, so food won't be an issue. Any advantages beyond having hot food for sale? Standard is fine for your relatively short journey

4. The main reason I am thinking of taking the train vs. National Express bus is that to get to Tower Hill or Monument tube stops in London which is where I'll be staying, Waterloo is much more convenient than Victoria Station. Plus I have found the Victoria situation to be a big pain with suitcases--though I'm planning on bringing a lot less stuff and a much smaller suitcase this time than in the past. Is it easy to navigate Waterloo from the area where the train from Southampton will arrive to the Tube? I'm sure I can look up the stairs vs escalators vs elevator situation on the TFL site. To be honest, I'd just grab a black cab for the hop across the river...shouldn't be more than £10.

5. Are there a lot of stairs at the Southampton Central train station that I'd have to drag my luggage down/up? As far as I remember, just the bridge up and over the tracks...maybe 30 steps up and down.

6. Anything I've missed in my thought process? Nothing springs to mind, but I bet someone (and they know who they are!) thinks of something!

Thanks in advance!

Simon

IIRC there are lifts by the footbridge on the station to all platforms.

Correct.:)

And if walking from City Cruise Terminal you'll need them to get from that entrance (on Platform 4) across to Platform 1 for (usually) London.

If instead of walking you take a taxi (might be raining?) to Southampton Central station, ask the driver to put you down on the Commercial Road side foe London-bound trains. Entrance, ticket office, platform one - easy.

JB :)

Thank you all! This is just what I needed. I've purchased my train ticket. Worst case, the ship takes way longer to unload than I expect from my previous experience in Southampton and I'll have to buy one of the expensive same-day tickets.

I do have one question--Simon said: "To be honest, I'd just grab a black cab for the hop across the river...shouldn't be more than £10." Simon, you are saying that a cab from Waterloo Station to the Monument/Tower Hill area would only be that much? (I think that's what you mean, just verifying.) If so, do you think that would be quicker than getting on the Tube to Bank station, then walking through the tunnel (I assume it's a tunnel) to Monument and then out to my hotel? It doesn't seem like the latter will be too time-consuming though I know there are some steps--not a lot--in Monument station to drag my luggage up/down. I haven't gone through it to Bank so I don't know what the step situation is there.

I'm only worrying about steps because I'm just getting over major back issues that made moving in general very painful and that seem to be made worse by a lot of heavy lifting--I don't want to throw my back out again just when I get to London and am ready to do lots and lots of walking. So I'm trying to avoid as much lifting of my luggage as I can, while also taking into account my incredible dislike of spending any more money than absolutely necessary! :)

Thanks again to all of you! I think this is the most helpful board on Cruise Critic!

I’ve just checked a couple of websites and the taxi fare from Waterloo to Monument comes up as £11-£13, so I underestimated a bit. You will be doing a lot of walking and steps to use the tube, so if you are worried about back problems, I’d be even more inclined to use a cab. You have spent a lot of money on the cruise; why potentially muck up the end of your holiday for the sake of a few quid?

Simon

If you thought Victoria was bad, you might be in for a shock if you use Bank/Monument. Unique on the Underground in that it is essentially one station, but it is a warren of passageways and escalators to interchange, often very crowded. And it is in the middle of major upgrade works, which may have been the issue you previously found at Victoria.

Victoria to Monument would have been a simple direct journey on the District and Circle line.

Waterloo to Monument - I think you are looking at using the Waterloo & City Line to Bank? That makes sense if you were exiting at Bank, but it is completely the opposite end of the complex to Monument. I would actually exit at Bank and walk at street level in preference to the underground connection.

The better route involves a change - Waterloo to London Bridge on the Jubilee (2 stops) and change to the Northern line for one stop to Bank. The Northern line platforms connect Bank and Monument, so you can take the exit at the southern end of the platform (the back of the train coming from London Bridge) direct into Monument.

The RV1 bus connects Waterloo and Monument stations, but will take a little longer.

I have been trying to think where you are staying that means Monument is the best station - Premier Inn London Bank (Tower) perhaps?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you thought Victoria was bad, you might be in for a shock if you use Bank/Monument. Unique on the Underground in that it is essentially one station, but it is a warren of passageways and escalators to interchange, often very crowded. And it is in the middle of major upgrade works, which may have been the issue you previously found at Victoria.

Victoria to Monument would have been a simple direct journey on the District and Circle line.

Waterloo to Monument - I think you are looking at using the Waterloo & City Line to Bank? That makes sense if you were exiting at Bank, but it is completely the opposite end of the complex to Monument. I would actually exit at Bank and walk at street level in preference to the underground connection.

The better route involves a change - Waterloo to London Bridge on the Jubilee (2 stops) and change to the Northern line for one stop to Bank. The Northern line platforms connect Bank and Monument, so you can take the exit at the southern end of the platform (the back of the train coming from London Bridge) direct into Monument.

The RV1 bus connects Waterloo and Monument stations, but will take a little longer.

I have been trying to think where you are staying that means Monument is the best station - Premier Inn London Bank (Tower) perhaps?

I'm staying at the "hub by Premier Inn", in between Monument and Tower Hill tube stops. At least, that's the current plan. Haven't made a reservation yet because I'm still trying to decide whether to head to Heathrow the night before I fly out and stay at the Hilton there, or head to Heathrow in the morning. Surprisingly the Hilton at Heathrow is less expensive than the hub on my last night.

This rather fabulous cutaway diagram of Bank Monument illustrates the point I am making [emoji846]

http://transitmap.net/post/55707996580/bank-monument-cutaway

Yikes! So basically I'd spend my whole afternoon trying to find my way to the proper exit from the station! :)