The Princess Coral for a 20 year old?

door60

I'm still trying to decide which cruise to take my 20 year old. Seems like none of the cruises have everything we want.

I prefer leaving from Vancouver. My 20 year old would like an active ship. I thought I found it in The Norwegian Jewel, they don't go to Glacier Bay, which is something I really would like to experience. How is The Princess Coral for a young person? Are there things to do in the evening?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

First of all, it is the Coral Princess.

Secondly, to find out about entertainment and activities, I would be researching on the Princess board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=197

I would think Princess is middle of the road for a 20 year old, NCL probably will be a little better.

While I love Princess, their ships are running pretty old. One, such as the Coral Princess, tend to attract and older crowd.

Alaska in general tends not to be a party destination though. You might have to steer him to Royal Caribbean or Norwegian to find a balance that will please you, along with him.

I first went to Alaska in college though. On Princess. They have my history all messed up so I'm not sure if it was on the Grand, Star, or Sapphire, but those are just a bit bigger than the Coral. Alaska was nothing I'd ever experienced before and while the nightlife was pretty non-existent for a college kid, it was still my favorite cruise for years and years. Turns out I love Alaska and never realized it before. I still don't like their smaller ships. I'm just a medium/big ship kind of guy cuz I like more options on what to do.

Whether you stick with Princess, or move to NCL (I'd agree that there are more nightlife options with NCL than Princess) or another line, if you're doing a Vancouver-starting cruise at the very least you'll get brownie points from the 20yr old as he can go get liquored up before the cruise;-)

Boozing on the cruise will still be verboten - even though some lines offer 'booze exemptions' for European, British etc. cruises with lower drinking ages in the visited countries don't do so for cruises departing Canada despite us having a lower age limit than the US - his card will be flagged as underage so he can't buy alcohol onboard.

Since he's in that weird halfway house of no kids clubs but still not treated as a real adult by the lines, I think it will very much depend on his tastes whether he'll enjoy ANY cruise or not for the shipboard activities - fortunately Alaska is all about the ports, if he is going hell for leather all day to see things he might be just as content as us oldies to relax with a low key evening and an early bedtime!

This is a great ship and a great itinerary.

You will find an older crowd on every sailing in Alaska. Even on Carnival. Alaska is more about the ports and the itinerary than the ship. In the Caribbean it is the opposite. Pick the best itinerary. The Coral Princess is a wonderful ship for Alaska. Princess also does great Alaska programs on the ship and also has a Naturalist. Many other lines do not have this.