Wine. Buy the bottle, or buy the glass?

justcrusn

So, if a generic glass of wine is $8-9, is it a better deal to buy it by the glass or bottle? A bottle is about $40 if i recall so you would have to get 5 glasses to break even, 6 to come out ahead, if you buy it by the bottle?

What is the consensus here?

I know they’ll “save” your bottle for you to finish the next night, but wouldn’t it also be fresher by the glass?

(1) The bottle list is far more extensive than the glass list. That is a big reason for buying a bottle if you know you will be able to finish it in one or two evenings.

(2) Unless you are buying really expensive wine (which isn't available by the glass anyway), letting it sit 24 hours until your next dinner won't harm it. And there is no guarantee that the wine you order by the glass is all that fresh (depending on call at the particular location). And finally, many wines do need a little time to breathe before they are at their best -- so when you buy a bottle, the first glass is too soon; similarly when you buy a glass it might be from a fresh bottle.

(3) If you go to the wine tasting events, there is a silent auction for some really nice bottles -- if nobody else bids, you can get them for the opening price which is a nice discount off list.

(4) We have had the premium package lately, and I find the included wines are quite acceptable.

So, if a generic glass of wine is $8-9, is it a better deal to buy it by the glass or bottle? A bottle is about $40 if i recall so you would have to get 5 glasses to break even, 6 to come out ahead, if you buy it by the bottle?

What is the consensus here?

I know they’ll “save” your bottle for you to finish the next night, but wouldn’t it also be fresher by the glass?

Generally prices for a bottle are a better value (on a per/ounce basis) than purchasing the same wine by-the-glass (typically the savings is roughly 20%). For inexpensive wines it would not be much of an issue to let a partially consumed bottle sit until the next evening (with the exception being sparkling wine). If you do not have a beverage package, buying by-the-bottle definitely allots one more options. If you are a Captain's Club member, I think there may also be a coupon for a percentage off a bottle (I don't remember the details - I have had packages past few cruises, so haven't purchased a bottle on Celebrity in quite some time).

I can't recall ever hearing of a silent auction before-- is this advertised or on an ad hoc basis? Is the wine that of the tasting?

I don't know if they do it on every sailing -- we had it on Eclipse in 2015. There were two "World Wine Tour" tastings and each one had a silent auction. None of the auction wines were included in the tasting [they were all pretty high-end offerings from Celebrity's cellars]. I was able to buy Hess Collection Mount Veeder Napa Valley 19 Block Mountain Cuvee 2010, and Barolo 2009 Dagromis.