Looking for a hotel recommendation in Amsterdam

RuthC

Ruth, sorry to have come to the table so late, but have been away on a HAL cruise - you are always answering my questions so I hope I can help in return.

We have stayed at Hotel Estherea, and this summer I booked one night only pre-cruise at :

Crowne Plaza Amsterdam - South

George Gershwinlaan 101, Amsterdam, Amsterdam, 1082MT

(we have spent a lot of time in Amsterdam previously on port days, pre-cruise and river cruises so we were not that concerned about location. The hotel is not right in city center - but we will tram to the Rijksmuseum again, and meet some cruising friends who live near Amsterdam for coffee and cake.

Ruth, were you able to find a suitable hotel?

Hoping to work on it this weekend. With all these suggestions, I have some research to do!

Everyone has been so generous with information.

That said, being able to walk to the cruise from the Movenpick is a really nice idea. Too bad they don't include breakfast in the price. And for your needs, I think it would be the best choice.

Based on all the generous information posted, I think you may be right. The fact thy have a van, and might be willing to drive me to the pier is hopeful.

As recently as last June the Banks Mansion had stairs from the entrance to the lobby. Besides, they do not have a restaurant that serves dinner, so that leaves them out.

Miss Ruth,

I was very excited when I read that you were going to be in Amsterdam the same time as my Dad and I. I really was hoping we'd be on the same cruise at last (I have always liked your posts and your love of chocolate ;))

If I may suggest... If you're looking just to relax and then take a cab to the cruise port, staying nearer to AMS might be your best bet. I use the IBIS chain and find them well laid out, clean, and reasonably priced. If you sign-up and book through their website you get an additional discount of up to 10%.

Thank you for your kind words.

I've added your suggestion to the list, and will research this weekend.

Have a fine time cruising with your dad.

Another thing is that the Movenpick has a van. They use it to take people down to the central station, but they might be able to take you down to the cruise terminal.

This tidbit has made the Movenpick move to the top of the list. Thank you!

Oh, and the Lemon Drop is a plus.

We have stayed at Hotel Estherea, and this summer I booked one night only pre-cruise at :

Crowne Plaza Amsterdam - South

George Gershwinlaan 101, Amsterdam, Amsterdam, 1082MT

Thank you for the suggestion. I've added it to the list.

This tidbit has made the Movenpick move to the top of the list. Thank you!

Oh, and the Lemon Drop is a plus.

Well, I am just thrilled that I was able to give you some welcomed information. You gave me some good advice a few years back and this is just a step in repaying the favor.

I did forget to mention, they have the most delicious ice cream shop. I was willing to make it dinner, it was so good.

Have a great cruise and here's hoping we meet up on a cruise in the near future.

Sadly, for me there is no such thing as a "short walk". Just getting from the hotel room to the lobby is difficult.

I'm hearing you. I think a nice tip would make any cab driver happy to help you if he hotel doesn't reccoment a staff person to help you. Have a great cruise!

Ruth C

My sister once had a problem walking in a hotel to front door for cab etc and the hotel sent a person and wheelchair to her room to bring her down. She tipped the person.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Ruth C

My sister once had a problem walking in a hotel to front door for cab etc and the hotel sent a person and wheelchair to her room to bring her down. She tipped the person.

Hilton Hotels typically do that for me, but they are the only brand that has offered the service.

I can get myself to the lobby, and the cab stand, so long as there's a bellman to take my luggage. But that's about as much as I can do.

With the helpful advice of some of the posters on this thread I found what I believe to be a suitable place to stay.