Princess vs RCCL - what do you think?

jonj

Has anyone ever sailed both lines? Any comparisons on the ship, rooms, food, that you would like to share?

The ships in particular that we are looking at are:

Caribbean princess in a mini suite or Explorer of the seas in a Jr Suite or Grand Suite

We've done several cruises on both lines. You'll have a great time on either, but we think that Princess is a little better in the food and service categories. RCCL is probably a little livelier. We liked layout of the Grand Class ships better that the Voyager Class. However, the Voyager has a lot more activities such as Ice Rink, Rock Wall, etc.. We did the Radiance and the Brilliance the last two years but really felt that we needed to get back to Princess for the food and service. I'd be glad to answer anymore questions.

I'd have to agree with Normanb. Service and food are great on Princess. Our teens loved Mariner of the Seas (Voyager class ship) on RCCL.

I think the minisuites on Princess are better than the Jr suite on RCCL. A regular balcony cabin is nicer on Princess than RCCL too. The Grand suite is wonderful and there are some little perks with the concierge lounge, tender tickets ice show tickets, etc. Jr suite does not qualify for concierge.

If it's adults, going in a mini suite on Princess is the way to go in my opinion. Teens to young adults might prefer RCCL for activities. If price is an issue the Promenade cabins (basically an inside cabin with a window of the promenade mall) are nice but not big on the Voyager class of RCCL.

You'll enjoy either cruise, they're both great choices.

I just got back from the Sapphire Princess. Many of us think that things have changed... for the worse. Maybe it is the fact Carnival now owns them. I was on the Radiance of RCCL in Auguts and Oosterdam in April. So it's easy to compare. Some examples of Princess failings are;

1. Free ice cream on deck only for 1 hour a day. They charge extra other times. Always free on RCCL and HAL

2. Most photos are artificially made to 8x10 and they charge $19.99 rather than$9 for the 6x8. DVD of the trip is $40.

3. No more free daily news paper. Princess charges $3.50 a day.

4. No more wine sterwards and we never saw a head waiter.

5. Some of the smallest inside rooms on the ocean

6. Limited breakfast items in main dining room. Eggs benedict one day. French toast one day. etc.

7. PC dining a mess. You must eat at 6:25 or 8:00PM or plan to wait.

8. Food just OK.

On a plus. The ship is beautiful and staff nice.

I think they're pretty much the same except Princess allows travel agent discounting and RCCL does not. I believe the best value for the money is with Princess. We love personal choice dining and are early diners so it's never been a problem for us:) The age is slightly younger on RCCL. Food, well, I think RCCL is better overall but of course everyone has different tastes. Princess 's pizza is the best so far to me :D

Disagree with Fblack. If you go to cruisestateroom.com and compare Caribbean Princess vs Voyager of the Seas and the rooms you want-

Caribbean Princess -mini suite 323 sf and the Voyager for a JS is 345 sf. The minisuites have 2 tvs and upgraded amenities. JS has no amenities, just a tad bigger. The Grand suite on Voyager does have concierge and is 476 sf. All measurements include balconys.

So, best comparison is mini to a junior suite.

Cruisestateroom.com is a good website for comparing ships and rooms. Has a small fee though.

Hope this helps.

We've sailed several times on both lines, we prefer the PC dining on Princess so that is what keeps us coming back. Also, Princess does a great afternoon tea. I think there are more activities on RCI which we enjoy and it seems to be a younger crowd. You really can't go wrong with either! Enjoy your cruise.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I prefer RCCL, but only by a whisker. I think the food on Princess is slightly better, but I think the service on RCCL is much better. We have cruised Grand & Sun class on Princess - so far the Grand class wins, but that may change after we sail on the Island in May. We've sailed Radiance, Vision and Sovereign class ships on RCCL, and Radiance class just blows away the competition.

I think a JS on RCCL is a better cabin than a Princess mini (I just prefer the wider layout), and I think the standard balcony on RCCL is better (ex: you get a sofa for 2 to sit on instead of just a chair).

Whether Princess is the better bargain seems to depend on the itineraries - while the Star Princess 10-day Baltics out of Copenhagen is far less expensive for a mini than a JS on the 12-day Jewel from Harwich, the per diem is pretty close (at least when they first came out; the prices on Jewel have gone way up). Plus airfair to Copenhagen from LA is more, so that's a factor, too.

I also think that RCCL's Crown & Anchor Society has more generous benefits than the Captain's Circle as you move up the food chain. Diamond level on RCCL gets you big discounts on balcony & up cabins, a nice coupon book for discounts & freebies, access to a private lounge on certain ships, a special event apart from the regular C&A reception, free custom air. Princess Elites get a one-time bar setup, free Internet, free laundry (I DO wish RCCL offered that so I could pack less). I think both get priority for dining, tenders & disembarkation.

I find the food and service to be much alike between the two.

I find RC to be more energenic, with night clubbing going on later in the night.

I find I relax much more on Princess. (This comparison may be a bit biased, as the trip was longer, and the demographic older because of it)

Ships are beautiful, and RC has more of a WOW factor. Princess ships are elegant, and feel a little classier. Both are Exceptional!

Dining rooms are much nicer on RC.

RC has Corona beer, Princess doesn't. :(

After having cruised on both lines now, my vote goes to RCCI. I guess I just like the glitz.

RCCI service during dinner was much better, princess doesn't have busboys and the wait staff seems to be overwhelmed. We also liked free ice cream and pizza 24/7 on RCCI, Princess serves pizza from 11 - 8 and free ice cream for one hour.

The rooms were larger on RCCI and we liked having a couch.

Princess has more intimate lounges and lots of choices for entertainment, it was a more intimate line.

In terms of cruisng with children, RCCI wins hands down and we are now looking at Freedom of the Seas for next year.

For a lot of reasons, we also prefer RCI. Princess does some things really well, but I think overall, that RCI is better for what we're looking for in a cruise. After just getting off the Grand Princess for the third time, I realized how much we prefer RCI and are really looking forward to our summer cruise with them again.

After sailing RCCL Jewel of the Seas and Caribbean Princess in the past year, DH and I (both 37) gave RCCL a very slight edge over Princess. We thought the food was a bit better (very subjective) and we discovered that we didn't care much for Personal Choice dining. That being said, we would do another Princess cruise without hesitation, this time choosing traditional dining. I don't think you can go wrong with either line.

For a lot of reasons, we also prefer RCI. Princess does some things really well, but I think overall, that RCI is better for what we're looking for in a cruise. After just getting off the Grand Princess for the third time, I realized how much we prefer RCI and are really looking forward to our summer cruise with them again.

I love those RCI ships too. Quite frankly, they need to get some things in order before I'll step foot on another one of their ships! Too many people turning up missing, dead, or otherwise. All the lying and deceit is chasing me away. When I first cruised RCI, the big controversy was they got caught intentionally polluting the oceans they cruise in...and LIED about it. Now look at the tapdancing they are doing over the Brilliance of the Seas murder.

Time for them to get their stuff together.

JMHO.

I just got back from the Sapphire Princess. Many of us think that things have changed... for the worse. Maybe it is the fact Carnival now owns them. I was on the Radiance of RCCL in Auguts and Oosterdam in April. So it's easy to compare. Some examples of Princess failings are;

1. Free ice cream on deck only for 1 hour a day. They charge extra other times. Always free on RCCL and HAL

2. Most photos are artificially made to 8x10 and they charge $19.99 rather than$9 for the 6x8. DVD of the trip is $40.

3. No more free daily news paper. Princess charges $3.50 a day.

4. No more wine sterwards and we never saw a head waiter.

5. Some of the smallest inside rooms on the ocean

6. Limited breakfast items in main dining room. Eggs benedict one day. French toast one day. etc.

7. PC dining a mess. You must eat at 6:25 or 8:00PM or plan to wait.

8. Food just OK.

On a plus. The ship is beautiful and staff nice.

We have sailed on RCI and Princess and prefer RCI but for the most part the two cruise experiences are very similar. However some of the points noted above are in error or need some explanation. For example:

Actually, while soft serve ice cream is free of charge on RCI, the Ben and Jerry's stands on Voyager Class ships charge (all the time) In fact the soft serve icecream that used to be available on the Royal Promenade of the Mariner (and perhaps other Voyager class ships) was removed when Ben and Jerry's was added to Cafe Promenade. I don't think that Ben and Jerry's is available on the Radiance class ships, so the only hard-serve ice cream is found in the dining room.
No more wine sterwards and we never saw a head waiter.
- RCI eliminated wine stewards several years ago
Food just OK.
You can find similar reviews of the food on just about any cruiseline. De gustibus...:)
PC dining a mess. You must eat at 6:25 or 8:00PM or plan to wait.
I'm not a fan of anytime dining, and for those like me there is still traditional dining on Princess, although they seem to make it difficult to get it according to the reports about the waitlists on these very boards.
Most photos are artificially made to 8x10 and they charge $19.99 rather than$9 for the 6x8. DVD of the trip is $40.
Photo prices are high on RCI as well. Princess doesn't seem to be measurably worse than RCI or other lines in this regard. The best way to deal with the high prices is to refuse to buy the photos.
Some of the smallest inside rooms on the ocean
Try some of NCL's new ships if you want to see small inside rooms.

I have been on both RCL and Princess . On both lines we have enjoyed ourselves and would go back on either one. I agree with the assesment that RCL has more of a "wow" factor with Princess being a little more refined. My wife and I really like the personal choice dining. We like to eat when we want to and don't care for a set time. I don't think you can go wrong with a cruise on either line. These are our two personal favorites!

We've been on both RCCL and Princess and they are pretty much the same. The most noticable difference to my very active DH was not much in the way of sports on Princess (CB). RCCL had much more to do on the sea days (if you are into volleyball, basketball, rock climbing, ice skating, etc.) I personally just need a good book, a lounge chair and drink in hand and I'm thrilled.

As far as anytime dining, I enjoyed it! We never had to wait to eat and we were generally going down for dinner around 7-8:30ish every night.

Nightlife was better and later into the night on Princess. Skywalkers was usually hoppin' until at least 2am (seemed to go to 4 am on the eve of sea days...) On RCCL we could believe there was no one in the club at 1 am. Maybe it was just a fluke...

I'm sure you will have a great time whatever you choose! Good luck!!

After just getting off the Grand last week and sailing RCI twice, I find that I prefer RCI. The balcony cabins are bigger and have more storage, there are more things to do, buffet is better designed, and service is better. We had really bad service in Anytime Dining, We enjoyed the cruise and will sail Princess again, but I prefer RCI.

I've posted an indepth review of Golden vs Mariner somewhere in here but it can be boiled down to :

Cruising as a couple ? Princess hands down

Cruising as a family with teens ? RCCL hands down

Did a search and read your post on the comparison, thank you for pointing it out.

I am really hesitant on cruising RCCL because most people rate the food as just ok, family members were on the Voyager and said that the food in the dining room was good but the buffet was horrible, they didn't eat there after trying it on the first day.

The reason we are thinking of going are these

1. Kids would like the activities

2. It is a 9nt itinerary we are looking at vs a 7day on Princess

3. It goes to Aruba, an island we always wanted to visit

Seems like we have to do a little more thinking about the the ups and downs of both

Did a search and read your post on the comparison, thank you for pointing it out.

I am really hesitant on cruising RCCL because most people rate the food as just ok, family members were on the Voyager and said that the food in the dining room was good but the buffet was horrible, they didn't eat there after trying it on the first day.

The reason we are thinking of going are these

1. Kids would like the activities

2. It is a 9nt itinerary we are looking at vs a 7day on Princess

3. It goes to Aruba, an island we always wanted to visit

Seems like we have to do a little more thinking about the the ups and downs of both

Do your tastes in food closely match those of the family members who were on the Voyager? I know that most members of my family have very distinct differences of opinion regarding what kinds of food they like. Restaurants that they rave about are far down on my list of favorites, if they make the list at all. For everyone who claims that the food on RCI's buffets is, to use your term, "horrible", there are as many or more who have far more favorable comments. That doesn't make one right and the other wrong, although I do think the word "horrible" is a bit dramatic and perhaps is over-reaching.

Seems that there may be more ups than downs and that a number of the things that you rate as most important:kids activities, itinerary length, inclusion of Aruba should outweigh a possibly suspect report about the quality of the buffet. Since those who disliked the buffet conceded the food in the dining room was "good", maybe you should give the line a try and decide for yourself. You certainly won't starve and you might find that your tastes aren't necessarily the same as other members of your family.:)

Do your tastes in food closely match those of the family members who were on the Voyager? I know that most members of my family have very distinct differences of opinion regarding what kinds of food they like. Restaurants that they rave about are far down on my list of favorites, if they make the list at all. For everyone who claims that the food on RCI's buffets is, to use your term, "horrible", there are as many or more who have far more favorable comments. That doesn't make one right and the other wrong, although I do think the word "horrible" is a bit dramatic and perhaps is over-reaching.

Seems that there may be more ups than downs and that a number of the things that you rate as most important:kids activities, itinerary length, inclusion of Aruba should outweigh a possibly suspect report about the quality of the buffet. Since those who disliked the buffet conceded the food in the dining room was "good", maybe you should give the line a try and decide for yourself. You certainly won't starve and you might find that your tastes aren't necessarily the same as other members of your family.:)

Actually some of the places they think are really good we think are just ok or don't like at all so when they say they don't like something where food is concerned we know we definitely would not like

1) Princess at this time still allows travel agents to discount below list price. I hope they keep this up. What Travel Agents do with their commission should be up to them.

2) Radiance Class ships on RCCL have more pizazz than Grand Class ships.

3) Balocny sizes and choices are better on Princess.

4) Mini-suite cost on Princess (even without discounting) is about what you pay for a D1 on RCCL. Mini-suite is much larger than a D1 on RCCL.

5) Food is better on Princess, my test is escargot, and is best I have ever had. No ranch steak on Princess. Lobster is better on Princess, very tender.

8) Swimming pools better on Princess. Saunas and steam rooms better on RCCL.

9) No horse racing on Princess=pooh on Princess.

10) Kids are wellbehaved on both lines, but during high teen travel times, Princess has a teen patrol to keep things from getting out of hand.

11) I think Princess has more exoctic ports in the Caribbean than RCCL.

12) Princess does not have a drink of the day (Read this on cruisecritic), but does have more drink sizes than RCCL.

13) Princess has better choices for dinner times, traditional and anytime.

14) No rock climbing wall on Princess, not that I would ever try it.

15) SKywalkers much better than Crown Roof (I forgot official name)

16) Some Princess ships havt MUTS

17) Princess Posters on CruiseCritic are better-LOL

18) Breakfast and Lunch Buffet better on RCCL

19) Pizza and burgers better on Princess

20) Service is great on both lines.

21) I think embarkation is better on RCCL, seems on Princess everyone wants to get off all at the same time.

22) Below mini-suite class on Princess bathrooms are smaller than same class on RCCL.

23) Below mini-suite class on Princess cabin as a chair, while RCCL has a 2/3 size sofa.

24) I am going on memory on this one, but a deposit for a 7 day cruise on Princess mazes out at $500 per cabin while on RCCL it is $250 per person.

25) Princess has better on board booking program for future cruises.

Archived