Jamaica concerns for an excursion outside of the port????

L1211

Depart on HOTS on 13 days, still trying to decide what to do in Jamaica. I know for sure if we do something it will be through the ship. DH and have have done a couple of land based vacations to Jamaica so if not for the two HS senior girls with us we'd be content for a ship day. We'd like them to see some of Jamaica but I have two concerns 1) safety and 2) where we Port and distance to sights. So, thinking about the RC Essence of Montego Bay excursion. It's only two hours. Gets us out of the port so we can take in some sights. It has drops at a beach at Montego Bay and Hip Street shopping. Question- do we want to be out on Hip Street? Anyone been to Montego Bay lately? Appreciate any recent experiences!!! Tried the port boards but not much action there...

We are on the same cruise. It's our first time in Jamaica but we are with a group of 22 several of which have been to Jamaica several times. We are doing Dunns River Falls tour. I have friends that go there twice a year with no issues. Hopefully it will be fine!

My wife and I were in Jamaica two years ago and did the kayak, snorkel, and beach excursion. We loved it! We would not recommend walking around outside of the secured port area though. Some on the ship did and enjoyed it. The excursion was about a 20-30 minute bus ride to the area to start kayaking. Water and canals were beautiful. Beach was nice but a lot of other people from different excursions as well. Cannot remember the name of the beach though.

We are on the same cruise. It's our first time in Jamaica but we are with a group of 22 several of which have been to Jamaica several times. We are doing Dunns River Falls tour. I have friends that go there twice a year with no issues. Hopefully it will be fine!

DH and I have done the falls. I'm concerned about the long bus ride. My youngest doesn't tolerate that well. It's quite a sight!! Enjoy. Hoping to find something closer to Falmouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are docking in Falmouth, we have taken tours 2x with Peate Taylor, to the blue hole and river tubing. Both times it was an excellent tour and I would do it again! look him up!

Will do. Thank you!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My wife and I were in Jamaica two years ago and did the kayak, snorkel, and beach excursion. We loved it! We would not recommend walking around outside of the secured port area though. Some on the ship did and enjoyed it. The excursion was about a 20-30 minute bus ride to the area to start kayaking. Water and canals were beautiful. Beach was nice but a lot of other people from different excursions as well. Cannot remember the name of the beach though.

20 to 30 minutes sounds way better than 1.5 hours... I'd love to know the name!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lots of 'safe' excursions, we actually had a private excursion cancelled last month because of safety concerns. But in general Dunns at least once, can do blue hole, tubing, Appleton tour, Marley tour etc. Depends on what you want to do as Bob suggested check the port of call board

We just got back from Jamaica a week ago. We did not have any problems. We went to Dunn's River Falls on a private tour. It was very good!!

I forgot they do not have problems in Jamaica only situations and we did not get into any situations.

The issues they are having do not involve tourists. It is more gang related.

Girls might like some of the zip line or waterfall jumping tours. Can be booked either through ship or reliable local operators. Falmouth is about 30 minutes by bus east of Montego Bay (snorkeling, river tubing, some zip lines) and about an hour west of the Ocho Rios locations (falls climb, rafting, waterfall jump). You should be aware that kids regularly get busted for drugs - local scam is to sell drugs and then point out the buyer to port security.

We did snorkel trip to Mo Bay last fall and it was pretty decent. Lots of non-stinging jellyfish the guides brought onboard to show us.