Question about meals

cruisergrandma

OP asked about plain cooking on Viking and didn't mention dining times. The subsequent hijacking of the thread by people discussing lines other than Viking introduced the topic of different dining times.

My apologies. You are correct. I was remembering the discussion about eating at 6 pm which came later.

My apologies. You are correct. I was remembering the discussion about eating at 6 pm which came later.

No worries, that's the problem when someone's hijacked a thread even if innocently as in this case. Once two or more fairly unrelated discussions are on the go in the same thread it's often difficult to keep track of what's going on.

You're correct, and I'm wrong.

I've looked at the daily info sheets for my last trip in 2016 and they say at 7pm a Smorgasbord is served in the Acquavit lounge.

We mostly had both breakfast and lunch in the lounge but never went there for dinner. Must have a look upstairs next month

Both of our experiences involved ordering from menus (albeit limited) with table service versus a buffet or “smorgasbord”. Will look forward to hearing from you after your cruise next month to hear how it’s being handled now.

No worries, that's the problem when someone's hijacked a thread even if innocently as in this case. Once two or more fairly unrelated discussions are on the go in the same thread it's often difficult to keep track of what's going on.

They may be separate, but they all fit the title "Question about meals" so I'm not sure that I would define it as hijacking.

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from our Viking Rhine Getaway. They have changed the dinner in the Aquavit Terrace... they are no longer offering the buffet for dinner there. Instead, it is reservation only, gourmet Italian menu. (Same menu every night)

As for the food in the restaurant, we found them to be VERY accommodating with my family's VERY unadventurous appetites. (The chef even brought in chicken nuggets for my daughter and made burger and fries a few times for my son.)

Just returned from our Viking Rhine Getaway. They have changed the dinner in the Aquavit Terrace... they are no longer offering the buffet for dinner there. Instead, it is reservation only, gourmet Italian menu. (Same menu every night)

As for the food in the restaurant, we found them to be VERY accommodating with my family's VERY unadventurous appetites. (The chef even brought in chicken nuggets for my daughter and made burger and fries a few times for my son.)

FYI There is a thread about the new dining options:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2621787

We just returned from our Viking cruise and I have to say we were very disappointed with the food. There was such a limited menu and many things just were not good. My hubby ate steak most nights and it was usually almost tasteless and a bit tough. Yes, we did tell our wait staff but my hubby has dietary restrictions so, what else could they offer us? They no longer have buffet at night. Instead they offer a 6 course Italian dinner. No extra charge but, since they can only seat 20 it is by reservation only. With hubby's dietary restrictions we did not eat there. Friends with us did eat there one night and said it was delicious. Food was our biggest disappointment with our trip.

We just returned from our Viking cruise and I have to say we were very disappointed with the food. There was such a limited menu and many things just were not good. My hubby ate steak most nights and it was usually almost tasteless and a bit tough. Yes, we did tell our wait staff but my hubby has dietary restrictions so, what else could they offer us? They no longer have buffet at night. Instead they offer a 6 course Italian dinner. No extra charge but, since they can only seat 20 it is by reservation only. With hubby's dietary restrictions we did not eat there. Friends with us did eat there one night and said it was delicious. Food was our biggest disappointment with our trip.

Did you inform Viking of dietary restrictions before you traveled? On my last cruise a person at our table had many restrictions and the staff made a point of reviewing the menu beforehand to determine what she could and could not eat. They were very accommodating.

I'm a pretty fussy eater and I've never had an issue with the food.

Did you inform Viking of dietary restrictions before you traveled? On my last cruise a person at our table had many restrictions and the staff made a point of reviewing the menu beforehand to determine what she could and could not eat. They were very accommodating.

I'm a pretty fussy eater and I've never had an issue with the food.

We did discuss it with the crew when we boarded. The crew brought the next days menu each night at dinner. There were just few choices even for those of us with no restrictions.

Do you have any menus to post? Thank you.

I realize that food is a very subjective topic, but we were very happy with the food on our Rhine Getaway cruise. My husband is a fussy eater and I think he only ordered the steak from the everyday offerings once.

We are looking forward to our Grand European Tour on the Modi in the fall.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

THank you for clarifying that - Avalon has the same thing which is why I didn't post about it.

But I *know* I've read here that there are ships that have alternate dinner options. Without going back and re-reading all the reviews, surely there are past guests who can mention if their ship had this option (because it might not be system wide- some ships are larger and have more/different amenities than others on the same line....) It's not commonplace in river cruising, but it's out there, and if that's important for a potential guest, then it's worthwhile to look for it....

On the Crystal river ships the Bistro restaurants are open from 6pm - 9pm for dinner, you show up whenever you want. The staff is incredibly accommodating and they have vegetarian menus in their restaurants. Crystal also has 24-hour room service and they don’t do port briefings at 6pm like everyone else so you can eat whenever you want without feeling obligated to be somewhere. But they don’t currently have a ship on the Seine.

Edited by NJCruiserBoy
Clarified restaurant hours.