FREEDOM SPRING BREAK trip report with PICS! 3/25-3/31

By the time dinner was over, it was time for the Captain’s Reception. Our main objective was to get a picture and his signature, both of which we got! The picture turned out nicely--will upload once we download the photos off the disk!

1d22d98d34653e889e570f8ae02a9ea5.jpg

We didn’t really have anything we wanted to do before we saw the night’s production show, Marquee, so we just hung out in my cousins room until it was time. I did run up to the pool to grab towels for our excursion tomorrow in Grand Cayman...whenever you do grab towels, they have them on the gangway...whenever you don’t, they don’t!

When I dropped the towels off at our room, our TA sent us a letter and our stateroom attendant left us a towel animal...am I allowed to post a pic? It has the name of our travel agency...

We eventually made our way down to the theater to catch the show. Initially, my dad and brother sat in the concierge section (due to their “sweet”) and the rest of us sat in a different area. However, when my dad and brother pointed us out to their concierge, she said we could come over (the concierge section was pretty empty).

87242d543be81683d52189cd0c2b03f0.jpg

Now, the show. I don’t know exactly how I feel about it. The opening number, the Cabaret number, and the finale number (Chorus Line with a kick line) were all great and fun. The rest...ehhhh. Lots of the songs are older Broadway songs that I’m not a huge fan of. I’m a fan of more modern ones like Hairspray, Chicago, and the Lion King. I know Freedom is an older ship, but even Navigator had a Mamma Mia number! However, the singers and dancers were all great, with one of the female singers EXCELLENT. Also, the set design was pretty good for a ship. I kind of wish I could see it again with different expectations.

Once the show was over I was pooped. We planned to watch karaoke, but everyone was tired and had an early morning the next day. So we just headed back to the room, washed up, watched the ocean for a little, and called it a night.

Up next: Pedro St. James and Turtle Swim excursion in Grand Cayman!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DAY 2

When I said today would be an early day, I wasn’t joking--since our excursion met in the theater at 8, we had to get up pretty early, since pretty much everyone has the idea to get off the ship early at a tender port. Our time was limited too--all aboard was 2:45 pm. So our cabin was up at 5:30, hoping to get to the Windjammer before it became mobbed.

The roughness for the night before carried through this morning. I could feel it when I was in bed, which I usually can’t! It was noticeably rough this morning in the Windjammer as well...when I was waiting for an omelet, even the chef was rocked! Luckily, the buffet wasn’t too busy, and we got in and out in a reasonable amount of time.

We got back to the room in time to see the ship anchoring in Grand Cayman. The island looked so quaint and peaceful.

c4e7e49cc342cb45c1eed132345f6e1b.jpg

Once we were ready, we grabbed our shore excursion tickets and went down to the theater, where we were met with a lengthy line.

402446a93172c670116d33f3a25d9113.jpg

8293ccc7968399b123766406116b5dbc.jpg

Luckily, only one person of your party needed to wait in line, so the rest of us found a seat.

529206338533bb4073fecf845a020a0a.jpg

We were given color coded stickers for our tender. They called the tenders by color.

eb0fb8f2b7cc446fa7e6056a48d06068.jpg

The process was somewhat efficient. Our meeting time was 8am, and we were on a tender at 8:40. They really did give priority to RCI excursion guests, as I saw people in the regular line being held back until we were on the tender.

They were using both the forward and aft doors for tendering.

72d3f13d1a994e015b63b18fb21ff0d9.jpg

MORE PICS! love the review so far... keep the pics of the ship coming...

There are plenty more pics!! Thank you!

Loving your report Andy! Your descriptions and pics are spot on!

So good to hear!!

thanks for sharing the teen compass! loving the review -- I was curious how the skating was, as I'm looking forward to trying that out myself soon!

No problem! Skating was pretty fun! The rink isn’t huge and the ice isn’t perfect, but it’s still great. One of my favorite things of the Voyager and larger ships.

Thanks so much for your thorough write-ups. I'll be on this exact itinerary shortly with my girlfriend, and so your posting of the menus and Cruise Compasses are fantastic in helping us get excited to sail, and to plan our days just a little bit better.

I hope you enjoy your cruise!

Following along. I was in Ft. Lauderdale on 3/25 and went to the port area to see the ships departing. Got a very nice video of the Freedom.

Nice!! We would have waved, but we were in the dining room :(

Glad you’re having fun. I still can’t believe I’ll be boarding the Freedom in a little over 24 hours. I’m still stuck in Kentucky (plane takes off in about 7.5 hours). And it’s snowing.

Bon voyage! I’ll probably watch you guys sail away today on the webcam!

Funny someone at our table had the seafood pasta and was expecting a white sauce too.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

Most seafood pasta dishes are with white sauce so I don’t think it’s that out of the ordinary to expect!

Seeing the outside of your ship for the first time in port is always fun.

34329b61c4a246141f339e7e1cb038e3.jpg

Once the tender docked, our shore excursion tickets told us to meet under the red tent, which was easy to find. We got our bus stickers, and then waited just for a few minutes. The above picture of the ship was taken at 8:44, and the next picture was taken at 9:02.

608ae3009cbc485bc9d7b2dfeeb337a2.jpg

The bus was a short walk from the meeting place. It was a large coach style bus, with pretty good AC! Taken at 9:08…

72298e83edcca3595fc6d062ecae7293.jpg

We were told to memorize our bus number (one) and our driver’s name (Love Joy). Soon enough we were off, first heading to Pedro St. James. We drove through the less crowded, eastern side of the island. There were a few nice houses...I apologize for the subpar photo.

eda930aebb4751d94c59718536d33fab.jpg

When we got to the visitor center for Pedro St. James, we had a few minutes to use the bathroom before we started the tour. One of the employees there was kind of passive aggressive...we’re tourists, but still.

Our first part of the tour was to watch a movie about the history of the site. The theater was really dark and had a mockup of the house and the surrounding environment.

The movie was LONG. Basically, it took you through the history of the site, but I thought it was too in depth for the amount of time we were supposed to have on this tour. It was a twenty minute bus ride to Pedro, then the movie was half an hour long. I was kind of annoyed with the length of the movie...I wish we could have skipped it and had more time at the turtle farm (that’s another story).

The setting of the area was actually quite beautiful. I didn’t know it was on the water, so the wide vista was a nice surprise!

c5c7e222aa8870a41a44174ec2afe513.jpg

The tour of the actual house was brief. Our guide was a very nice man, but not that good of a guide. He had a lot to say, but wasn’t very loud or good at keeping the group together, so everyone pretty much wandered around the house.

The staircase where a slavery abolition proclamation was issued:

763c959e021d52bfe5a2bfeea7e70c7a.jpg

They were setting up for a wedding in the field in front of the house:

cfa6f6a0234c5f67e081f5b69b375462.jpg

I thought the iguanas in Grand Cayman in 2012 were hilarious, so when I saw one hiding in a tree I had to snap a pic! I had to zoom in a lot--sorry for the grainy pic but hopefully you can see the little guy!

0c7bd2e59796534880e116d87a4e62b4.jpg

The front of the house:

fb688cc2098e83765603181a8fcbcde0.jpg

Sorry there weren’t very many pics of the house. It was a very quick tour and it was hard to get a good photo of the interior, due to our big group.

There were some cats who wandered the grounds--here’s one:

73b1c63f0953b7d22a3113955c73a9fa.jpg

No paparazzi, please!

24434ebe04755f1285df8ad5f01b5afe.jpg

As we took the 40 minute drive from Pedro St. James to the Turtle Farm, our driver gave us some more cursory info about the Cayman Islands, and pointed out some sights along the way.

We passed the port area again and the NCL Escape, MSC Seaside, and Celebrity Infinity (not seen here) were all anchored.

201a84eec2c29319e689e1f3992c681e.jpg

The Governor’s Mansion:

8858526f73c0253f18441e148b27c002.jpg

One interesting tidbit is that Queen Elizabeth formally appoints the governor every two years, instead of elections being held!

The oldest standing house on the island:

64ae07175f95866277c10d3e92cf4c39.jpg

When we arrived at the Turtle Farm, we met our tour guide for the farm itself. He was good enough, but stressed that we had to be back at the bus at 2:10 so. darned. much. It almost makes you feel rushed...at the time I was thinking maybe we could ride a taxi back and leave later, but good thing we didn’t do this...you’ll see.

After a lot of “hurrying up”, it was time for the “wait” as we were given another ten minute break to use the bathroom and buy turtle food (which we did not get). Luckily we were under a somewhat shady trellis near the turtle breeding pool, which was better than the Pedro St. James courtyard with the snippy workers…

b88cc18d27dd2ee1f6f940c6a37b7cbe.jpg

You can see the breeding beach where the female turtles lay their eggs here:

1447321526d7d67013e38fc7f82f1001.jpg

While we were waiting I caught sight of this absolutely miserable looking employee from the MSC Seaside. I noticed her throughout the tour looking like she absolutely hated life, I felt bad for her. My mom even commented on how miserable she looked, and she isn’t as observant as me when it comes to these things! I wonder why MSC sends their own crew members on the excursions.

We first went to the hexagonal pools where the turtles were sorted out by their age. Those who bought turtle food (pellet type) could feed them too. I’m pretty glad we didn’t waste money on this, as it was about as interesting as feeding the koi fish--you just throw the food in there. I do think younger kids might enjoy it, though!

They had a few different types of turtles, but the vast majority were the typical green sea turtle.

29972f1090bc7ff4a594c7d86258d12e.jpg

This next picture is by far one of my favorites from this cruise. Now, I didn’t know that turtles squirt water out of their noses (?) when they come up for air. So when I saw this happening it was honestly one of the funniest and cutest things. I really wanted to get a pic, so I used the burst on my iPhone to get this pic:

67267dbf3e0039d2df29cb8fee7180f1.jpg

That was the first photo I sent to my friends when I got back from the cruise. It’s just so cute!

7d1133552ce468a74671eacc97203dd7.jpg

f509926914558efde18450664a465939.jpg

Once we finished looking at the different sizes of turtles, it was time to wait in line to hold a turtle. Based on reviews and photos, I was expecting to be able to wade in the pool, pick them up ourselves, etc. However, since it was so mobbed, we waited in this LONG line to be given a turtle to hold, smile for the camera, and put it back in. I mean, it was cool holding a turtle--they’re heavier than they look. But what’s not cool was not being allowed to take your own photos. And if you wanted to look at the photos they took of you, another line was waiting for you.

Let’s just say the following picture was taken on total accident...my phone just so happened to be on and my dad accidentally hit the shutter button, that’s why it's such low quality!

ee6e815f74b82a6651ab1216752d53ed.jpg

The next part of the turtle farm was the part I was mostly looking forward to: swimming with turtles in the lagoon. Walking to the lagoon my anticipation was growing, as I saw turtles and the lagoon looked pretty inviting--it was a warm day!

9e362b26dd03d8cde3f91225faf31735.jpg

However, the line to get the included snorkel gear was long. And we couldn’t find a chair. So my mom ended up sitting out (she’s not a fan of snorkeling) while the rest of us got gear. I still felt horrible about it (but I was hoping to make it up on the excursion we were taking together the next day).

This was by far the best part of the whole excursion. While it’s not as cool as swimming in a real coral reef, there were just some “Come Seek”- commercial worthy moments, like when a turtle swam next to me for a while, or when I swam through a school of fish. I got lost from the rest of the group (always happens when I snorkel), but still managed to get back on time to rinse off and make it back to the bus.

The bus ride back was pretty uneventful. Our driver gave us some more info, including the national dish...turtle stew.

Overall, this excursion was okay. It was enjoyable enough, but our group was too big to be ideal, and we felt so rushed. If it was a little less pricey, I would recommend it. But at $55 a person (on sale), it would have been cheaper and more enjoyable to do it ourselves.

Since no food was included on the excursion, we were all hungry on the way back to the ship. And not cruise ship hungry. Actual hungry! My mom and I were talking about how we can’t wait to try the pizza from Sorrento’s, grab a salad from the Windjammer, and relax in the pool.

All hopes of a timely lunch were extinguished when we got back to the port. The line was absolutely INSANE.

The next five photos are screenshots from my Instagram story of the line we had to wait in for the tender back to the ship. Granted, it moved reasonably well but the length was insane. It snakes back and forth at least four times over. I can guarantee every single person in these photos is waiting for Freedom...

aa165aab2d2bc34f435592a592825ffc.jpg

024cb8b1fdf2205f45ea376f1c519724.jpg

b06ff51358f57574a7a3ff54fe3fe139.jpg

16696d7e2c92df54d06291e02ed8a185.jpg

0fd418c9d64b8a0e90c1358ce0029f7f.jpg

To add insult to the injury, just as we were nearing the front of the line, the family in front of us doubled in size as they met shouted people up from further back in line. Of course they are the last ones on the tender, and the rope is closed in front of us. We did meet a nice family behind us from Parkland, FL...way to remember the real world still exists.

When we finally got on the tender, we were the first ones on. Tip: sit on the top decks! They unload the top first.

So close yet so far:

2c461711fcdab4266d6c4908f239c133.jpg

Following! Great review so far. I was on the same cruise and am currently writing a review myself, much similar to yours. I am just about your age (reading your review in the college library instead of studying...oops) so I can relate a lot. I tried to find my family and myself in your photos of the tender line in Grand Cayman, but I knew the chances would be slim in that long line! Keep up the great work!

A look down “I-95” on the ship:

dde791cdc4412195117170f2f913baf0.jpg

We went to Sorrento’s once we got on the ship. The pizza in the Windjammer is frankly horrible so I had very low hopes for this, but it was a lot better than expected. They had a margherita pizza, which is my favorite type of pizza. The crust was reasonably thin, but the toppings were eh. I’d say it’s pretty good for cruise ship pizza.

We had a bunch of damp towels so I took them up to the pool to drop them off. I couldn’t resist a quick stop in the Windjammer so I got some fries and pasta. I was craving carbs!!

The plan for the afternoon was to walk around the ship for a little, but we were tired and just decided to rest in our rooms before dinner.

Celebrity Summit. I’ve always wanted to try Celebrity, seems like a fun, relaxed, sophisticated cruise.

89c5b4d6729353cf028507353a4ce60c.jpg

We ended up leaving a little late, presumably due to the long tender line.

Bye Grand Cayman!

e90641fc163188eaf1e781d3aba62782.jpg

When we pulled out I was able to get some pics of the NCL Escape and the brand new MSC Seaside (now Oasis class isn’t the only one with a zip line at sea). I was actually looking at changing our reservation to the Seaside for this week, because it was brand new. But we decided not to because it was brand new. I’ve heard mixed things about MSC and based upon initial reviews of the Seaside I think we made the right choice. I definitely do want to try MSC one day...those Swarovski staircases though!!!

301d4e086aa381991d73faf1fa705ef0.jpg

267284ec2ca8701c1c84a214c38c23ac.jpg

My carb cravings weren’t satisfied so before the 5pm trivia I got some more pizza from Sorrento's. Pictures like this remind me how big these ships are. Freedom isn’t the new girl on the block, but it’s crazy how fast cruise ships grew in size. The industry went from Sovereign OTS (1988) to Oasis in 20 years! That’s a 152,000 ton growth!

05fbbc1ac7249dfb8612cd3b82efcc96.jpg

We again scored middle of the pack for the trivia. We always either know the answer for sure or have literally never heard of what they are asking for. No happy medium!

I really love the promenade decks on RCI ships. They’re so relaxing and you feel so connected to the ocean.

95163f7e6b306d65fc2856fdbae15640.jpg

I miss the old menus. The options are very limited, and I kinda miss the themes.

22f6738f72506c697c7dcf74bd417f88.jpg

For an appetizer I ordered the seafood cake. It was below average for the appetizers, which I usually enjoy. It wasn’t hot at all, and didn’t have that much flavor.

d7a4e7a95d7e435edf18ed88b0139468.jpg

This picture is honestly not that good, but it just reminds me about one of the things I love about cruises. Something that is as boring as a quick run to the bathroom (when I took this pic) is made so many times better by just glancing out the window and seeing the ocean gliding by. It’s just one of those feelings only cruise can give you, just that relaxed and tranquil feel of the ocean.

7ae8fec40bbc7457b729b553de3944e7.jpg

I always like chicken cordon bleu, so that’s what I decided to order. It was pretty good, but the breading could have been a little crunchier and overall the dish wasn’t all that hot. I don’t know why rice was paired with it...it didn’t really go. Would have prefered potatoes.

7b1e85d884038a12b70746f5f7f3c945.jpg

Finally, for dessert, I ordered the lemon panna cotta. For being no sugar added, it was pretty good and didn’t taste too artificial.

56d27fc943327b6bfbeff34217a8fbcd.jpg

We are sailing on FOS May 6 and I am enjoying reading your review about what we can expect and am very excited! Do you happen to have pictures of the cruise compasses for the rest of the week as well? Thanks again for your report!

We are sailing on FOS May 6 and I am enjoying reading your review about what we can expect and am very excited! Do you happen to have pictures of the cruise compasses for the rest of the week as well? Thanks again for your report!

Whoops! I completely forgot to upload those...once I'm done with this day I will upload the day 2 and 3 compii!

For the rest of the evening, we didn’t really have plans until 9pm, which was the ice show. Our cousins wanted to play shuffleboard, so my mom went back to the room to wash up while we stayed on deck four.

Being the Floridians we are, we used to have a shuffleboard court in our backyard--our house was built in the 50s, during the height of stucco homes, orange groves, and St. Augustine grass. Our house only has one of those now--the grass. Where we live used to be an orange grove forever ago, so when it was redeveloped, the developers “gave” each house a tree or two--we had one in the front yard and one in the backyard. Sorry for the digression...we always complain about Florida, but I do really love living here.

Anyways, all of the shuffleboard courts were occupied, except for one that didn’t have any equipment. We decided to go up to deck 12 to play ping pong, which was also taken. So we just kind of chilled by the Flowrider for a little. It was only boogie boarding, but some people were really good--one guy would throw the board forward and have it come back to him.

b628d958b2b983190e0284502951215b.jpg

I went down to the Schooner Bar to grab my brother and mom who were doing some music trivia before we went back up to deck 12 to meet up with everyone else. They were actually at the ping pong tables near Adventure Ocean, and it was just so quiet and peaceful there. Being on the higher decks is always so wonderful--the breeze, lights, and the ocean air are just awesome.

7d122096e5948be023552aec73f90975.jpg

Soon enough it was time to go to the 9pm ice show, Freedom-ice.com. We tried getting there early to avoid crowds, but the line to get in stretched almost all the way out of On Air. We still got front row seats, on the left side of the ice. The show was great! I liked it a little bit more than the one on Navigator, but the best thing about it was not the music or the themes but the skaters. We get annual passes to Busch Gardens in Tampa which has great ice shows, but the skating here blew that out of the water. These were definitely the best jumps I’ve seen outside of competitions. The show closed with a pretty nice standing ovation.

We were planning on watching karaoke for a little, but the lounge was really crowded and we were all tired after an early morning, so we just decided to go back to the room. But we couldn’t resist a slice of pizza and a glass of water for a late (ish) night snack.

Another towel animal was waiting for us when we got back to the room:

d19e75947caeaea9ab011d7f8bbeb41c.jpg

After washing up my mom and I sat on the balcony for a little. Personally, even though I thoroughly enjoy them, balcony rooms are not a must. I don’t spend all that much time on the balcony aside from pulling into port and at night. But I would really miss being able to go outside in your pajamas before going to bed

That’s it for day 3! Up next: a mini sea day and our first Mayan ruins!

DAY 4

I intended to have a leisurely morning, but I still ended up waking up at 7:30. Waking up at 5:30 for school really does mess with your sleep schedule.

I got my usual muesli, pastry, and coffee from the Cafe Promenade. My mom and I were planning on eating a late hearty breakfast today, as our excursion started at noon and we weren’t going to get food until 3ish.

33690eb35318e8868356770f702d5f8e.jpg

We had a late arrival in Costa Maya around 11am, so we just decided to walk around the ship and enjoy the ocean.

b4e82f46e62278dff16e809129457974.jpg

I wanted a pic of the wake and the aft of the ship, I was so scared to take this photo!

6d1c366cb3c29f67e62b51c2ed579b73.jpg

Love this section of the promenade.

c6a486d1c78c2b17462d0e0f335a08c9.jpg

Our room is the first room on the hump, second lowest deck of balconies.

e4a995e6db7b04272770e0963220429c.jpg

Once we got near the front of the ship there was the most awful sewage smell I’ve ever smelled on a cruise ship. But I do love the helicopter pads on Voyager and Freedom class ships.

9d41a4eff78400677a52a608cb3bee48.jpg