FREEDOM SPRING BREAK trip report with PICS! 3/25-3/31

Oh, I forgot! He'll be disembarking while I'm headed to the port for our EASTERn Caribbean cruise. I'll be on board and see the ship for myself before he can upload. So impressed with how people rave about the Freedom experience.

What is a Magic Western Caribbean cruise?

Also, I believe you cruised Freedom in April 2015. My husband and I were on that cruise for our anniversary. It was the one where BillOH organized our roll call and then missed the Meet & Mingle because he got the wrong time or location since he and his lovely bride were upgraded.

Did someone mention my name? I do hope to go on Freedom again.

Good morning everyone! Just woke up and watched us pull in from bed.

6f821be2bf608da731418c6cf24ccee1.jpg

I enjoyed this view a lot more a week ago... [emoji20]

Now down to Guest Services...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Welcome back! Excited to hear your review. Got a future cruise booked?

Sadly not yet :( we tried using the Next Cruise office last cruise and we weren’t impressed, and plus the dates are pretty far out so we will have to think about it.

We’re also thinking of trying another line (NCL or X, or even Carnival again). Not that we had a bad experience!!! Just want something a little different. Might have to make an exception for an Oasis class though...

Sadly not yet :( we tried using the Next Cruise office last cruise and we weren’t impressed, and plus the dates are pretty far out so we will have to think about it.

We’re also thinking of trying another line (NCL or X, or even Carnival again). Not that we had a bad experience!!! Just want something a little different. Might have to make an exception for an Oasis class though...

Oasis Class will be something completely different to the Nav and Freedom. Harmony could be decent pricing given that she is no longer the new kid on the block. I think that X is probably geared to an older crowd.

Oasis Class will be something completely different to the Nav and Freedom. Harmony could be decent pricing given that she is no longer the new kid on the block. I think that X is probably geared to an older crowd.

I thought that too, about Harmony. Plus they’re moving her to Port Canaveral which is closer to where I live. I really want to do the Eastern Caribbean itinerary because we’ve only done Western. And everyone I talked to onboard raves about Harmony.

I’ll have to consider X before we book (obvi) but I’m really considering NCL bc the experience is pretty different. I don’t know that much about NCL but I still want some of the traditional cruise activities (I love trivia, haha).

How often do they serve the escargot now?

Thanks. Nice to know. What did they serve the first formal night? Prime rib?

If I remember correctly escargot was served on nights 1, 2 and 4. On night 4 I was not liking any of the entrees so I just had 4 appetizers, escargot, onion soup, caprese salad and caesar salad. Prime rib was the entree on the first formal night.

If they try to serve you the coconut "pudding", run like hell and never look back.:eek::eek: :eek:

On our February Oasis cruise, escargots were only on the menu 2 or 3 nights. We missed escargots night 1 due to FNDR (150 Central Park was worth it) and I asked the next night if they were available even though they were not on the menu. Based on our waiter's reaction, you'd have thought I asked him to jump overboard into shark infested waters. Basically the answer was "NO WAY." Better luck to you on your cruise.

We are sailing on FOTS in 13 days ! Eastern Caribbean for a 8 day. We are going with many friends and have done this trip before, but we enjoy the ports.

I wish I had gotten to enjoy cruising at your age, seriously trying to make u for lost time now !

Good reviews.

Hi guys! I meant to start writing on the car ride home, but I was frankly exhausted. I’m home now and mostly unpacked. Just got back from getting some Vietnamese food, where we actually saw a fellow cruiser on our sailing! I saw a Royal Caribbean shirt that looked familiar and the guy looked somewhat familiar, and what are the odds? So we decided to ask them after we finished eating and it turns out that they just got off Freedom today too! Crazy that we get off the same ship, live in the same area, and go to the same restaurant for dinner. I’ve said this multiple times on this thread, but it is SUCH a small world. Anyways, shall we?

(Before I start I just want to let you guys know you can chime in with questions or comments whenever you want--don’t wait until the end!)

I kind of left us off at dinner, but I need to fill in some gaps before then. I tried to post updates onboard the day of embarkation but I was getting really spotty service.

We parked at Park N’ Go near the port. It was pretty efficient--we prepaid online, so we had a printout for them to scan. We pulled in, were given a ticket to hold on to, unloaded the luggage, gave them the keys to the car, and hopped on the shuttle. It didn’t take long to fill up so we were off! The ride to the port was very short distance wise, but it did take a while due to traffic. Terminal 29 is pretty sectioned off compared to other terminals at Port Everglades, so it gets congested, especially with a ship as large as Freedom.

We pulled up to the port probably around 10:20, but as we were giving wine to my cousins and their parents, we had to wait until the shuttle from their hotel brought them to the port. While I was waiting I noticed some Autism on the Seas staff waiting near the entrance of the building. I saw them around the ship quite a bit--is this like a group cruise? They were there soon enough (maybe around 10:45?), and as we walked into the terminal there was very little line for security. The line for the check in desk was a little longer, but it moved at a reasonable pace. SeaPasses in hand, we walked through the terminal to the ship. We didn’t have to wait at all!

d93ad6d82fcb0f771a327637184641a5.jpg

Before I knew it, we were on the gangway! The picture above was taken at 11:36, so pretty efficient! You can see all of my family in this pic: my dad and uncle all the way up front, my little sister behind them, then my two cousins and brother, followed by my mom and aunt, and then me in the back (taking the photo).

After a little confusion about the safety wristbands for my younger cousin, we were inside the ship! Since we sailed on Navigator barely a year ago, it was very familiar and comfortable. First impressions weren’t as “wow” as I had felt on Navigator, but I still thought the ship was great!

I ran up to the guest services deck before lunch to get my card punched. They did it way too close to the corner; I eventually went back to get it repunched with the more secure oval punch instead of a regular hole punch.

As expected the Windjammer was mobbed. I was so excited for the cruise that I wasn’t particularly hungry, I just got a salad and some pasta. We ended up finishing lunch around 1:15 (everything takes longer when there’s more of you). Rooms were almost ready so we figured we should just wait until they let us in the hallways. Clearly others had the same idea. People were gathering around the hallway entrances waiting until rooms were ready.

We first all went to my dad and brother’s room, the Ben and Jerry’s “Sweet”. For those of you who don’t know, the “sweet” is a mostly normal promenade stateroom, stateroom 6305. However, due to the obstructed view due to the cows on top of the Ben and Jerry’s, there are some benefits. Most apparent upon walking in the door are the cow themed decorations, which are pretty cute. You also get seven complimentary cups of ice cream per person, so 14 per cruise! By far the best benefit, though, is the gold card. You get concierge lounge access and access to the reserved seating areas by the pool, in the theatre, and in Studio B. They seemed to enjoy the concierge lounge, and the seating in the theatre was convenient.

5b188bbe703a408741bbdf4bdb19583b.jpg

5c6810b465182bf1e9eb3295c7300097.jpg

4fbc07c81b773645c54d9d3169fa43fe.jpg

dd208e13b133f0b2935aac46556972fb.jpg

98861662f134a3d8af2afb2a038dcdda.jpg

As you can see, the view wasn’t even THAT obstructed. You had to stand, but you could still see down to the promenade. My dad complained of some noise, but he would still recommend this room. We booked it just short of a year out, so you may have to reserve it early!

Our cousins had a balcony cabin and a promenade cabin midship, so we split up and went to our room, a deluxe balcony cabin, the last on the hump, 7648. This is one of the few hump rooms that fit three, and we had the same (relative) room on Navigator so we decided to book it again. It was pretty much identical to Navigator, same orientation and gap between bed and balcony due to the hump. The balcony did have a small third chair which was nice--do other hump cabins have the same?

2302cce397c8192914a3e1703249a89e.jpg

654829eabd0feb3f9b21b37818a61704.jpg

1de20bbfd9584c6cd3bab57f59f35983.jpg

My cousins met us at the room, so we did our tradition of touring the ship top to bottom, starting up in the Viking Crown. They were wowed by the view, even remarking “how can this be the same ocean up by us?”. We also watched kids on the Flowrider for a little. The line was pretty long, especially for the first day.

We eventually made it down to the Royal Promenade. Since we hadn’t eaten in two hours, we were clearly wasting away. So to commence the weight gain, we had a second lunch at the Cafe Promenade. The desserts were just okay, but the roti wrap that was filled with a curry chicken salad was pretty tasty! I saw this again occasionally on the cruise.

One thing I noticed in the Cafe Promenade was that the food in the case was display only, they had to grab the food off the cart or go in the back to get your food. Is this new? If I remember correctly, it wasn’t this way previously. Obviously nothing major, but just something I noticed.

My cousins needed to thaw from the cold weather up north, so they went swimming before muster. My sister tagged along too, and I sat at the pool deck for a little before heading back to the room to see if our bags arrived. It was VERY busy at the pool, especially for the first day. Maybe the “secret” that swimming on embarkation day is not crowded isn’t a secret anymore…

3965db9390e5a58cc4358b388fe3df44.jpg

Muster was scheduled for 4:15, so I got my sister from the pool at 3:45 so she could dry off before the drill. Muster was pretty normal, except for someone walking up the gangway (whcih was right in front of our muster station), luggage in hand, boarding the ship during muster. Couldn’t imagine how the anal side of me would have coped if I was boarding during muster… Everyone was quiet when the captain (and others) were talking which was a definite change from Navigator last year, where everyone was so loud you couldn’t hear what was said.

Once muster was over we went back to the room to get ready for dinner. Our bags still hadn’t come yet. I closed the door, mentioned something to my mom how we were some of the first to drop our bags off but still hadn’t gotten our bags, then heard a thud on the door. Turns out it was our luggage! Speak of the devil (?) I guess. I went up to the pool to return my sister’s towel, and when I was up at the pool I got a glimpse of Allure leaving port, and the sailaway party (featuring Dreamworks characters).

663f5e8f7368832ae045e43934edd7cb.jpg

21e4b72e734ec30690b28b22a26042f0.jpg

Up next: our first sailaway not spent outside, and dinner with new menus!

(I’m exhausted, it has been a long day. Might finish day one tonight, but I might not as well. I will still answer your questions!)

It looks like the Freestyle machines are on the Freedom. Do you recall if it had sparkling water? I am considering a drink package mostly because of it.
We were on this cruise and one of the only things we were disappointed in were the freestyle machines. The majority of the diet sodas weren't working from day 1. In most locations there are 2 machines and one was always out of order. I don't know about sparkling water, but even if it is an option it might not be available your entire cruise.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

Thank you so much for sharing, Andy. I am sharing this with my kids who are your age. We board Freedom next Sunday for the same itinerary, so we're all interested in your perspective. It will be the teens' first cruise.

I hope they have fun--I sure did!

It looks like the Freestyle machines are on the Freedom. Do you recall if it had sparkling water? I am considering a drink package mostly because of it.

I did not have a drink package, but what Elerja said is very true. I believe there were two machines by Sorrentos and two in the Windjammer, and one by Sorrentos was always broken. On the plus side, there never seemed to be any lines.

Loving this review, Andy.. thank you for sharing your perspective!

Of course!

Great job Andy, we are sailing FOS for the first time in September. Looking forward to your experience.

Sheila

Enjoy your cruise!

This is so awesome. My bf and I are sailing on the 8 day on 4/48.

Cruising as a teen is so much fun. I started at age 14 and haven’t stopped. I’m 54, my daughters 22 and 25 and they were on ships as soon as they were pottty trained. They have been on 28 and 26 cruises respectively. When they turned 18 it was very very sad for them.

We are all diamond on rccl .