How “demanding” is the Alhambra?

Twitchly

Viking describes their Alhambra excursion as “demanding.” Other companies describe theirs as “easy” or at most “moderate.” Is there something about Viking’s tour? Do they zoom through it like the Tour de France or make you climb walls or what?

We’ll be at the Alhambra with Viking in a couple weeks and I’m wondering if I should bring crampons or something.

If you click on the "D" of demanding in the tour description you will find out that Viking considers extensive walking over uneven surfaces "demanding." I think you can safely leave your crampons home. Do, however, wear comfortable walking shoes that will take you over the cobbled streets of Spain with ease.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

It didn't seem too bad to us. It was very hot though and very overcrowded. I'm sure it's beautiful but you couldn't really appreciate it through all those people.

Thanks, I was hoping someone who had taken the tour would chime in. Not looking forward to the crowds but they seem to be unavoidable unless one has the good fortune to stay overnight there. At least we’ll be there in April so maybe not too hot.

Glad to hear it wasn’t wildly strenuous. I can easily walk 3 miles but am not the best on lots of steep climbs.

Thanks, I was hoping someone who had taken the tour would chime in. Not looking forward to the crowds but they seem to be unavoidable unless one has the good fortune to stay overnight there. At least we’ll be there in April so maybe not too hot.

Glad to hear it wasn’t wildly strenuous. I can easily walk 3 miles but am not the best on lots of steep climbs.

April will be lovely compared to July. When we were there on private tour, we had guides who took groups of ten throughout the grounds.idid not have the stamina to do the house at the top of the gardens. It was 90 degrees that day we had lunch on the second story of. Hotel outside the grounds. The gift shop is incredible on the grounds with great AC.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did a ship tour (with another line) a few years ago. Our guide started out by saying "I am going to give you an overview of the Alhambra. An in-depth tour would take days." He was right - there is SO much to see and usually not a lot of time to do so. That is to say, yes, you do go through the palace at a fairly brisk pace. We had some people (older) complain that he was going too fast. His response? "Ma'am, you paid for a tour of the entire palace and the only way to accomplish that is to move quickly." She wasn't happy about it, but he was telling the truth. Hope that helps.

I think there are a number of reasons why the Alhambra is marked as demanding.

• First is because it is built on a hillside overlooking the city of Granada; it is not flat.
  • Second, it is a complex of buildings and gardens covering 35 acres; you can't see it all in one day (even with a fast walking guide)--and IMHO, you really wouldn't want to.
  • Third, it is a long downhill haul from the visitors entrance at one end of the complex to the Nasrid Palace at the other end and the only way to get from one end to the other is by walking. There are no trams.

Very helpful info; thanks, everyone. It sounds like I'll be able to make it without too much problem. Hopefully they'll let us stop for the occasional picture!

I agree that whipping through it is less than ideal, but this is probably the only chance I'll have to see it. If the ground were less uneven, it would probably be a blast to do it on a Segway!

I'm reading Washington Irving's "Tales from the Alhambra" to prepare. Fascinating!

Very helpful info; thanks, everyone. It sounds like I'll be able to make it without too much problem. Hopefully they'll let us stop for the occasional picture!

I agree that whipping through it is less than ideal, but this is probably the only chance I'll have to see it. If the ground were less uneven, it would probably be a blast to do it on a Segway!

I'm reading Washington Irving's "Tales from the Alhambra" to prepare. Fascinating!

I've never seen a Segway on the grounds--and even if they did permit them, you would only have access to the exteriors. They don't even allow strollers into the Nazrid Palace and that is what you have come to see.

You definitely shouldn't miss it. The carvings are absolutely mind-blowing and as you look around, realizing it was all done BY HAND how such a feat could be accomplished. Enjoy!