Attention Cruisers Flying Independence Air!

PVDCruiser

Supposedly letters have been sent out to all staff about the future of the airline saying that operations will cease sometime in January if another investor is found.

Company heads are remaining optimistic, but the airline can go down as soon as January 7th it seems.

Everything is pure speculation at this point in time, but I think cruisers should be wary of this airline for now.

I thought I heard that Independance Air was one of the few airlines not in bankruptsy at this time? From what I understood, they were doing pretty well...

"Just this once, we’re going to be like other airlines. We’ve joined United, US Airways, Delta, Northwest and ATA who have recently been or are still operating under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code."

From their website: http://www.flyi.com/company/restructuring/default.aspx

Independence has been in Chapter 11 for a couple of months. They sent a letter earlier this week to their unions giving them notice that if they don't find people to invest or buy major portions of their company, that they will shut down as early as January 7th but no later than January 21st. It was basically a letter giving them notice that they will be laid off before the end of January, and most likely much sooner.

If you have plans to fly Independence Air anytime starting January 7th, make alternative plans now. Don't wait or you may not have any alternatives left.

Yes,

I live in the Washington, D.C. area and this is what the news said last night. FlyI is about to shut down 1st week of January unless an investor is found. There are rumors that United might buy them since FlyI used to be Atlantic Coast Air which was United Express. United already has a hub at Washington Dulles which is where FlyI is located so it would work out good for United if they do buy them. Link to news article http://www.fox5dc.com/_ezpost/data/32691.shtml

Most times when an airline shuts down, other airlines will honor their tickets, provided seats are available.

It's good publicity.

But that's presuming they have seats available when and where you need to fly. If you've got somewhere you need to be, like a cruise, you're best bet is making alternative plans on your own and not relying that on the date of travel other airlines will take pity on you or even have a seat available for you.

We've been half expecting this but it really breaks my heart to see Independence probably going under. They were a great airline to fly -- usually on time, had reasonable cancellation penalties, never bumped you, customer-oriented. We fly out of Savannah and my husband went back to the DC area on business once a month and loved the flexibility and the non-stop service. The fares were low also. Hope someone does buy them or if another carrier buys them, hope they continue to fly the routes.

Well, darn, it just figures! Last year I was trying to make flight reservations while worrying that USAir would stop flying, and now, of course, I have tickets for March on Independence Air! Someone above suggested making other plans - how would I do that without spending a fortune, since I already have tickets that I can't cancel at this time? Seems like I'll just have to wait it out and jump in immediately to transfer my reservations if Independence goes under.

You should have time to make alternate plans if something happens. I'm talking more about people who are scheduled to fly in the next couple weeks. It would really suck to leave on a cruise and come back to discover you have no way to get home because you're airline went out of business while you were cruising. and everybody else was able to get seats on other airlines before you.

Just a thought...

Other airlines do not have to honor e-ticketed passengers from other carriers that stop operating. They will only honor "paper Tickets". This is because they do not have access to the shut down carriers reservation system to verify your reservation and anybody with moderate word processing skills can easily make up a false e-ticket.

Just a thought...

Other airlines do not have to honor e-ticketed passengers from other carriers that stop operating. They will only honor "paper Tickets". This is because they do not have access to the shut down carriers reservation system to verify your reservation and anybody with moderate word processing skills can easily make up a false e-ticket.

This is what it said on their website.

Please be aware that under section 145 of the Aviation and Transportation Security Act (November 19, 2001) Congress has obligated U.S. airlines to offer stand-by transportation to passengers holding un-refunded tickets for airlines that have ceased operations due to insolvency or bankruptcy. The Act stipulates that passengers must make their request to carriers serving the same routes as the bankrupt carrier and must do so within 60 days of the cessation of service. The U.S. Department of Transportation has ruled that airlines who offer the stand-by transportation may charge $50 one-way per person to cover related expenses.

Additionally, we are seeking bankruptcy court approval to automatically provide refunds to customers holding reservations on flights occurring after our shutdown of operations on January 5th. No refunds will be offered for free tickets or vouchers

Anyone know how long that will take??

IMO, If it were me, I would get another ticket to make sure I have a seat on a plane before my cruise.

We've been half expecting this but it really breaks my heart to see Independence probably going under. They were a great airline to fly -- usually on time, had reasonable cancellation penalties, never bumped you, customer-oriented. We fly out of Savannah and my husband went back to the DC area on business once a month and loved the flexibility and the non-stop service. The fares were low also. Hope someone does buy them or if another carrier buys them, hope they continue to fly the routes.

You forgot to mention that they would give you a free flight if they lost your luggage. I wish other airlines did that. Or at least compisated you in some way. It will really suck if the airline lost my luggage on the way to the cruise.

"Just this once, we’re going to be like other airlines. We’ve joined United, US Airways, Delta, Northwest and ATA who have recently been or are still operating under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code."

From their website: http://www.flyi.com/company/restructuring/default.aspx

anyone know if that's true, Laura

To: sizemoretravel@yahoo.com

Subject: A Sad Day for Independence Air

Date: 02 Jan 2006 11:44:28 EST

If you have problems viewing this HTML email,

click here.

flyi_page_header_email.gifToday is a sad day for Independence Air.

Today we must announce that we will be ceasing scheduled service operations this Thursday evening, January 5. The financial pressures in the industry have prevailed. We have run out of time. It has been an amazing 18 months. We set out to challenge the status quo and to re-set your expectations about air travel. We set out to introduce you to lower fares and a new level of service delivered by employees who care. Currently ranked #2 in customer satisfaction among all US airlines, we are proud that we did indeed earn your respect and loyalty. We are proud that we built a brand so universally praised by over 8 million customers. We are proud of the mark we have made.

Customers with reservations whose trips are completed between now and Thursday evening should expect the same great service for which we have become known.

Additionally, we are seeking bankruptcy court approval to automatically provide refunds to customers holding reservations on flights occurring after our shutdown of operations on January 5th. No refunds will be offered for free tickets or vouchers.

Finally, we will be contacting those customers with itineraries that start before and end after our shutdown (including those customers who have already commenced their travel) to offer them the opportunity to change their return reservations to a flight on one of our remaining days of operation if possible. Customers can immediately change travel dates on their own by visiting the “Change Itinerary” section of our website, FLYi.com. All change fees will be waived when travel dates are changed via our website, but a difference in fare could be incurred (unfortunately, this results from a website process that cannot be disabled. Alternatively, if moving the return trip to one of our remaining operating days is not feasible, we are also seeking bankruptcy court approval to refund any amounts paid by these customers for their return reservations.

Please be aware that under section 145 of the Aviation and Transportation Security Act (November 19, 2001) Congress has obligated U.S. airlines to offer stand-by transportation to passengers holding un-refunded tickets for airlines that have ceased operations due to insolvency or bankruptcy. The Act stipulates that passengers must make their request to carriers serving the same routes as the bankrupt carrier and must do so within 60 days of the cessation of service. The U.S. Department of Transportation has ruled that airlines who offer the stand-by transportation may charge $50 one-way per person to cover related expenses.

Further information can be found on our website, FLYi.com.

Today is a sad day for Independence Air. Today is a sad day for our customers who have gotten used to tender loving service and paying less for air travel. We will miss serving you. Thank you for your vigorous support.

independence_new_logo.gif

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the bankruptcy court to approve refunds. Ticket holders are generally way down the line as far as who gets any money from a bankrupt carrier. I've never seen anyone post that they received any sort of refund when other carriers such as Vanguard went under.

The best bet at this point, IMO, is to contact you're credit card company to see if they can help. If you purchased the tickets before Flyi went into bankruptcy, I've seen it posted that you may be able to get the charges reversed. If you purchased after they had filed then you're most likely out of luck.

Standby seating is sometimes a good alternative if you don't mind waiting around at the airport and possibly having to take different flights home.

Also, watch other carriers web sites. Sometimes they'll try to pick up customers by helping out Flyi customers left holding the bag. It's sort of a PR thing hoping you'll become loyal to them for future travel plans.

Well, darn, it just figures! Last year I was trying to make flight reservations while worrying that USAir would stop flying, and now, of course, I have tickets for March on Independence Air! Someone above suggested making other plans - how would I do that without spending a fortune, since I already have tickets that I can't cancel at this time? Seems like I'll just have to wait it out and jump in immediately to transfer my reservations if Independence goes under.

Midnight:

We booked Flyi for our flight to Puerto Rico on January 12; after reading the Washington Post story we cancelled our tickets on December 30. After trying to find tix that weren't a fortune via Travelocity, we called our TA who found us flights that were cheaper than the rate we had with Independence and booked us. We didn't want to take any chances.

Archived