Project Runway?

BlueHerons

Hummm I see what you are all saying about Ping... Actually I was disappointed for her because I would like to see what else she has, her first week was pretty great... Goes to show you my fashion sense. I thought for sure this was her week to go. The other thing about her, she was just about in tears, or maybe she was when she knew she had problems... I wonder if she can handle it all.

This is my first year watching the show from the beginning and really enjoying it.. So would you say that when the judges are making a decision they are looking just at that weeks desgin, or juding on all the weeks performance?? Curious.

Has there ever been a designer that did not get it done in time for runway...Whew it gets so close

Edited by smoothdancer

I like Ping's general esthetic. And I was kinda digging the way those hip pockets swayed seductively as the model came forward. Of course, the back was a total disaster. She also makes good TV.

It's pretty obvious Heidi doesn't like her. I suspect that if this were last season (with all those weak, one-time-only judges) Ping would have been out the first week. Seems like they're reeling in the Heidi influence. Good move.

I liked this potato sack challenge and felt the group as a whole did pretty well. There were some creative uses of the material. And I totally supported the winning choice.

I do love being able to finally see this in high def.

I disagree with the judges this week on who loses.

Yes, both Ping's and Jesus's were awful, but Jesus really missed the mark. Tim told him beforehand that he wasn't following the challenge and it's about the potato sack, not using other fabric to cover it up.

He totally ignores Tim's wisdom and continues to cover up too much of the dress with other fabric.

Last week he was told his brown dress was boring and not to use brown by judge Nina Garcia.

Yet again, he completely ignores ALL direction and makes another brown dress!

He definitely should have been auf'd in my opinion. He doesn't listen to anyone!

Ping's dress was awful in execution, but her design concept is there. She listens and takes direction.

Ping should have been allowed to stay, IMO, but I think the comment that Heidi didn't like her is very true.

I was sorry to see Ping go. What struck me is that the dress she and her partner made didn't look in the least like the portfolio of her dresses they showed in the first episode. I really liked those outfits.

So did her partner make her second guess herself into that mess? It kinda sounded like that. But I really couldn't argue with the decision.

BTW, anyone see the red carpet for the Grammies? Heidi looked down right clunky. The dress seemed out of proportion. Here's a link to 50+ looks...

http://www.tvguide.com/Special/Grammys/galleries.aspx?gallery=2010-Grammys-Red-1014387

Okay, was it just me or were most of the dresses a "hot mess" last night?

I think they made the challenge a little too hard -- having one day to work on a "gala event" dress would've been enough of a challenge, PLUS the Campbell's branding, PLUS the very low limit on $$$ for materials equals NOT a lot to choose from in terms of finished dresses.

That said, I liked the winning dress (but didn't love it), and I also liked the runner up (last week's winner) -- she seems like one to watch.

Jesus was a shoe-in to be auf'd -- no arguments there.

I agree. The winning dress was the only one that I felt positively about when it came down the runway. It seemed to me that many of the outfits- in addition to being just plain ugly- were not appropriate for a gala event. Like Seth Aaron's- I actually liked it but would anyone wear it to a ball? And IMHO shiny red satin has a strong tendency to look cheap.

Holy Moley on Jesus' dress. I am usually sympathetic to the designers when the judges question the taste level, but come on. So short- so bare- and then capped off by the rhinestone straps. (I must immediately go to Lifetime and read Chris March's blog!) And even though Emilio is a sarcastic guy, I agreed with him on Mila's star dress.

I like the show better in NYC!

Barb

Jesus' dress was indeed a trainwreck. I'm not sure how he could have added more chintzy schlock to it unless he'd managed to make it light up somehow.

I liked the winner's dress very much. It moved so beautifully, and her model looked so regal. I thought Amy got totally robbed on the burlap challenge, so it was nice to see her take this one.

No surprises last night. The shorts outfit seemed a bad idea from the start.

The winning outfit was a major standout. I think having a specific person in mind for his outfit might have helped Anthony focus this time.

I do think the other two outfits in the bottom three would have benefitted greatly from some color. But, then, I am so not a beige person. There is nothing that color in my closet.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed, Barb. I always thought there was a major flaw there. At last now they have a show so they get some exposure rather than standing their barefoot in black slips. Yuck.

I had no problems with this past week's choices, either. I have suspected that the disco-era-looking three named guy (can't recall any of the three) might be a hidden player -- his designs were always pretty good in my book. At first I though he was there to be made fun of (judging from appearances -- as we so should not do), but no fun was being made so I started paying closer attention.

Guess everyone is abandoning this since no Curt. Too bad.

What happened to this week's episode? I turned it on and there was a rerun followed by something else. The new "Models of the Runway wasn't on either?

Did anyone see it?

I have a feeling they just decided to skip a week, what with the Olympics on. At the end of the episode (which I'm glad they re-ran as I didn't see it last week due to watching the Olympics, lol), they said next week would be a new episode.

I really could've skipped the last episode altogether. Really -- designing for children? At least they threw in a look for the model on the second day.

I thought Mila's outfits were really cute and for some reason they didn't get any love. Yes, I know color-blocking is her "thing" -- but remember Ulli? She had only one distinct look also, and see how far that got her? Seth Aaron's look was cute, if a little on the Gymboree side... Personally, I liked Jay's looks the best.

On the other hand, Emilio's little girl's pink dress -- UGH; shades of the 1950s. Maybe a 4-year-old would wear that; most 8-year-olds wouldn't get near it.

I cannot believe Emilio survived that one! What a disaster! Granted teh guy they auf'd was no great shakes, but still it was at least an outfit and not 1/4 of a craft project.

Nor would I have picked Jay as the winner. Yes he made garbage bags look like leather on the runway, but that top? Yikes! They got to tied up in his materials and not enough in his design IMHO.

Even though they say it isn't so, I can't help but think that the judges take the previous performance into account sometimes when they're deciding who goes home. Otherwise, I'm at a loss to figure out how Emilio stayed......:rolleyes:

Or maybe they liked his over-the-top, tongue-in-cheek styling of his "Barbie" model......

After reading here, then watching the show I was also appalled at Emilio's not being "Aufed".

My daughter was watching with me, I didn't tell her the outcome. She's usually not so vocal about the decision, but this time she actually screamed after the announcement.

It would be interesting to hear what the debate and decision really was during the judges conversation. I know we only get a few snippets of comments from them. Wouldn't it be lovely for them to "come clean" about the decision to not get rid of Emilio???

Every season has its surprises ;)

Whatever else you can say about the latest episode, those people REALLY don't know their way around a hardware store! I kept waiting for some really inspired use of materials, and the garbage bag outfit was the only thing that even came close.

I could've rocked that challenge! (Said Houndmom the Armchair Quarterback!)

Edited by Houndmom

I'm a fan of Tim Gunn on Facebook and he thought the judges got it wrong, too (about Emilio, that is). It's fun to read his posts after the show. Just never cpmment or you'll get a gazillion email hits.

Thanks for the tip .. I am now a fan too and the video is really interesting in regard to Emilio. He never pulls many punches does he?

Whatever else you can say about the latest episode, those people REALLY don't know their way around a hardware store! I kept waiting for some really inspired use of materials, and the garbage bag outfit was the only thing that even came close.

I could've rocked that challenge! (Said Houndmom the Armchair Quarterback!)

What do you think you would have done? What materials would you have used?

Anyone on these shows who has gone through design school has had to do construction with different materials before, so the PR challenge should be no shock to them. Especially if they have ever watched a season past, they all have a weird challenge to complete. Of course they have more than a day to complete the job, so I do have to give the contestants huge credit for completing any of the challenges they have.

I haven't sewn in years so I find it fun to watch the technical part of the show. I sometimes wonder if I should buy a newer machine and get back into sewing. The last few years I sewed, I wanted to stick the pins in my eyes it was so frustrating since my machine is so ancient. I now look at the inside of clothing when I purchase it, the buttons, zippers, seams...it's all so poorly done any more.

What do you think you would have done? What materials would you have used?

I would have gotten some fabric dropcloth material or lightweight tarpaulin (kinda like really heavy muslin) and gotten some sponges and metallic paint to block-print the fabric. There are a lot of brass fittings that would make wonderful jewelry. I've always thought it would be fun to make a dress entirely out of duct tape. (If Mythbusters can make a cannon, I could make a dress, I bet!) I guess I'm surprised no one used the available fabrics like cheesecloth, tarp, insulating window shades, mirrorized and tinted mylar, etc. I was missing all the different textures and colors that could have been used. Nobody got any spray paint? Duh!

In stage design school I remember us making a bunch of dance costumes using only different widths of ribbons, shreds of cheesecloth, and metal washers... I suppose if I hadn't had a week to do it, I'd have ended up with a teeny string-washer bikini! :D,

I actually loved the sandpaper dress too. Great texture and shapes. And the key necklace was genius. Biggest gripe? Too much roof flashing! :p

I keep thinking of that character in Rent that made a fabulous dress out of shower curtains. :rolleyes:

Edited by Houndmom