Juneau Car Rental Vs. Avis Downtown

Lemon Tea

Hi Folks!

My husband and I will be renting a car in Juneau for the day. I reserved with Avis but, thanks to the boards, learned about Juneau Car Rental. They have a car available the day we need it.

Any suggestions as to which is the better option? The google reviews for Avis have me a little concerned. I'm also a little concerned renting a car from a small operation like Juneau. I really don't know what to do!

The difference in price is only $20. So I'm asking about quality and service. Thanks so much!

I used Avis the last time I was in Juneau but they were at the Goldbelt Hotel location. What bugged me is we arrived promptly at 1:30 pm per our reservation. Nobody was there, not even a "be right back"-type sign. I called the Juneau airport location to see what was up. The girl had gone to get gas in one of the cars. It was about 30 minutes before she got back. By that time there was a couple other folks from our boat (the only one in town that day) waiting too. I can't remember what we paid but it was a tiny little car that we barely fit in. Ha Ha Otherwise, I think it was brand new. They were closed when we brought the car back (we knew it would be that way) so we dropped the keys in their night box on the desk. Otherwise, no problem.

In about 3 weeks we'll be there again but I've reserved a car with Juneau. To the best of my knowledge they are more of a "mom & pop" company. They were very friendly when I called to make my reservation. They were going to be closer to us at the AJ dock but Avis has since moved nearby too so that might not be an issue now. I do know that we are going to have a more normal size car but it might be older. From everything I've read about Juneau they keep their cars in tip-top shape even though they aren't so new. I believe our total rental for the day coming up is about $67. Even if I'm only saving $20 I don't think I'd change my plans because I believe we'll have a roomier car - and we are helping to support locals more than far off corporate folks. I'm sure I'll give my opinion of Juneau Car Rental pretty soon - everything I've read about them has been positive.

Good luck!

I've rented from Juneau Cars many times and have always been pleased with their service and price. Yes, they are a locally owned operation - the current owners moved up to Juneau several years ago from the lower 48. It's always been easy to rent from them, the cars are in good working condition, and the people who work there are really nice - they're more than willing to make suggestions on where to go and how to get around, although it's VERY easy driving around Juneau. The problem for some people is the walk to the AJ dock area if you are not docked there, especially if there's rain.

The problem for some people is the walk to the AJ dock area if you are not docked there, especially if there's rain.

If there's a ship at the AJ Dock, one block from Juneau Car Rental, they will have a shuttle that runs back and forth from there to the Tram. It was $3 last year.

• 2 months later...

I had made a reservation with the Juneau car rental company last October (2017), knowing that they have a limited amount of cars available, and also knowing that they are cheaper than the big-name companies. Their charge was $59 plus city sales tax and vehicle rental tax the total came to $67.85 for the day for a midsize car.

When the young girl on duty called up our reservation (June 2018), and we handed over a credit card, she said that we owed $94.30. That gave us a moment of pause. We had our reservation from last October printed out and right there on the counter. The total was supposed to be $67.85. She said I will check the emails and see if you were notified of this increase. I was pretty certain she would not find an email sent to us since we had not ever received anything like that. She called up the first email to which the confirmation number and letter had been attached and pointed out to us on the screen that it said on the bottom of the email: These are 2017 prices and 2018 prices may be different. Okay. We certainly understand how the cost of running businesses often necessitate increases, but a 30% increase?? She apologized and said she could call her boss , but she said I already know what he will say. He will not budge. I have run into this numerous times now, and it is what it is.

Having no Plan B, we paid the bill with the increase and as we walked to the line of cars, I couldn’t help but hear my dear departed father‘s voice in my head saying one of his famous lines: "You’ve just been 'put on the elevator', my dear."

She led us to an Oldsmobile Alero with multiple dings and rust spots. We were not expecting a pristine new car. I knew from researching and reading that one of the reasons for their low prices is that they rent out very old cars. However at nearly $100 for the day that price point is close to what The nationally recognized car rental companies in Juneau charge for a new car. So bottom line advice here: the Juneau car rental company is no longer the price friendly car rental company in the area. I would seriously instead consider the other major car rental companies in the area. Shop and compare. And if you do decide to go with Juneau car rental company, be advised that from the time you make your reservation and then pick up the car, the price could increase by 30% or more.

Edited by Worldtraveler 4727
spelling