Surviving 2,000+ kids on Allure (Western Spring Break)

After a day enjoying the pool and bar at Margaritaville, it was time to get back on the ship and do some of the other activities we hadn’t done yet. Since it was a port day, many things were not open until 3:00. We both headed to the zip line. It is a pretty quick ride. They were training someone new, so it was a little disconcerting to hear them say “Okay, what did you forget to do?” Oh well, it is only an 8 deck drop if they forgot something really important.

Since we were there when they opened at 3, there were no lines. Next, it was off to the rock climbing wall. Again, right after opening on a port day, and there were no lines.

Both of us made the climb to ring the bell.

fa716d353a4eacd2e71ab2047bf256c4.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No more trying for success at My Time Dining tonight. Tonight we had reservations at Chops. No complaints here. The food was excellent, and the service was supreme. In this venue, Royal just proved that they can serve an excellent meal with great service in half the time you would spend in the dining room at My Time Dining. It is just a little much to pay $98 for two to experience it. Just my thoughts. Maybe I am just remembering this is how the service use to be before specialty restaurants.

Black Pepper Bacon

5c6d2c0a74c4f879a6c21384007dd227.jpg

Filet

71279cc5ea8123bbaafdf2f15cfb761f.jpg

Apple pie

7bd5536a85235df81b02717d754a8d6e.jpg

DW ordered the shrimp appetizer, and they brought her two of them. The shrimp were huge. At the end of the meal, they brought us an extra desert to share at our table. Too bad we were so full, it went untouched. Offered it to the couple beside us, but I don’t know if they ate it. They had brought them an extra appetizer also. I am not sure if this was our lucky night, because we didn’t get this at Chops on our January cruise.

2933c915aafda675baf9064c34478d87.jpg

This was our free evening, since we didn’t have any shows booked. Spent the night going to several lounges. We even ended up in the On Air club while a bunch of teenagers were making attempts at karaoke. Never saw so many that could sing that bad, sober. Of course, I shouldn’t talk, but I know enough to stay away from that.

After a few games, we made it back to the cabin to find we had to avoid the elephant in the room.

58d2f0238fa79f8b3b4135af91c5d35b.jpg

I am loving your review! And I'm a planning freak too, so your spreadsheets are amazing.

I'm cruising RCCL for the first time since high school. August on the Grandeur.

Thanks for sharing!

Glad you are enjoying, but you will not have much planning to do on the Grandeur.

More from the Compasses

26986b16d7ac3aa5dd0fa8b17031b9bc.jpg

b379a3c7b91e7f0f1cf7f6637fe257cf.jpg

And specials today.

4d0d7a6be4bdef7e776fabe178a5f240.jpg

4a595882de36bfab437aec7c1081e7ae.jpg

Hi Mark! Enjoying your reviews of Allure. Your title is perfect and quite catchy! :)

Loved the cruise, enjoyed meeting and chatting with both of you and are ready to head out again. Currently planning a 2019 Alaska cruise just trying to decide on Radiance or Ovation. Ovation being newer and bigger is appealing but bigger is not always better. Have been reading reviews by the hundreds. Decisions decisions.

Patty

Hi Mark! Enjoying your reviews of Allure. Your title is perfect and quite catchy! :)

Loved the cruise, enjoyed meeting and chatting with both of you and are ready to head out again. Currently planning a 2019 Alaska cruise just trying to decide on Radiance or Ovation. Ovation being newer and bigger is appealing but bigger is not always better. Have been reading reviews by the hundreds. Decisions decisions.

Patty

Hi Patty. Thanks for the kind words. We both enjoyed meeting you. It has taken me a little longer to get through this report than I anticipated. I hope to finish the last couple of days soon.

I would really like to do an Alaska Cruise, but I know Susan would not go where it would be cold. Enjoy your planning. I know if I did go there, I would probably look at Princess, only because they have access to some areas that Royal doesn’t. We are busy planning for Harmony in November, then Indy in January and again in July, 2019 in Europe.

Safe travels, and enjoy Alaska.

Hi Patty. Thanks for the kind words. We both enjoyed meeting you. It has taken me a little longer to get through this report than I anticipated. I hope to finish the last couple of days soon.

I would really like to do an Alaska Cruise, but I know Susan would not go where it would be cold. Enjoy your planning. I know if I did go there, I would probably look at Princess, only because they have access to some areas that Royal doesn’t. We are busy planning for Harmony in November, then Indy in January and again in July, 2019 in Europe.

I did an Alaska cruise on Diamond Princess in 2008. It was a great cruise. If you want to avoid the worst of the cold, go in July. We went the 2nd week of May and it was freezing. My parents and another friend went on two separate July cruises to Alaska and had warm weather. Don't let it be a deterrent! Alaska was absolutely gorgeous. We did the northbound cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage. For some reason it is less expensive to go north than to go south. If you want to do Glacier Bay, then yes, you need to do Princess since RCI doesn't go there.

Should you change your mind, here is a link to my cruise albums on Shutterfly:

https://2008alaskacruisediamondprincess.shutterfly.com/

Hey Mark!

I’ve thought about checking Princess also. Have read some good reviews for their Alaska cruise. Has been quite awhile since we’ve sailed with them but maybe will dig deeper before deciding.

You and Susan are busy cruisers!! Hope to bump into you again sometime while out on the water. Till then, enjoy all you have coming up!!

Patty

I did an Alaska cruise on Diamond Princess in 2008. It was a great cruise. If you want to avoid the worst of the cold, go in July. We went the 2nd week of May and it was freezing. My parents and another friend went on two separate July cruises to Alaska and had warm weather. Don't let it be a deterrent! Alaska was absolutely gorgeous. We did the northbound cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage. For some reason it is less expensive to go north than to go south. If you want to do Glacier Bay, then yes, you need to do Princess since RCI doesn't go there.

Should you change your mind, here is a link to my cruise albums on Shutterfly:

https://2008alaskacruisediamondprincess.shutterfly.com/

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed the pictures.

It isn’t me that needs to change my mind. I just have to convince DW to go.

But now, back to finishing up this report.

We were up and finished our exercise early, as we did each day. Then our morning stop at Starbucks for lattes. We would see the Captain there most mornings, and today the senior officers would be there later in the morning.

One of the perks we got from our TA was a spa credit of $129 that was to be used on a port day. I know, that is an odd amount, and the port day slots were all booked, so the spa said we could use it today. DW didn’t want to get anything, so I opted to try the teeth whitening. As luck would have it, it was $129, so we just had to pay the 18% service charge/ gratuity, or what ever you want to call it. It did lighten the teeth some, but I expected that pearl white color of our car. I guess they can’t work miracles.

We decided to go to the ice skating rink and strap on some skates. It had been a few years since either of us had been on ice skates, so we were a little rusty. We both stayed upright, and I must admit, DW looked better at it than I did.

Somebody get these kids out of my way.

fa89b2c8b379ce8c51596fef03680950.jpg

Does that blurry kid mean she is going faster than me?

They do have arm pads, elbow pads, knee pads, all kind of pads, but the only things you have to wear are the helmet and skates.

After lunch, we decided to head to the pool. Big mistake to wait this long. I guess we should have gone to claim deck chairs around 6:00 a.m. The pools and sun decks were packed today. Royal use to publish their 30 minute rule for unattended deck chairs in the compass, but they made a subtle change to say they are first come, first served.

ab73489b3503b725790687d6d56e09d9.jpg

Although they did have signs posted about the 30 minute rule, they were hard to find.

9866795f0dc8e7452d34293670be4552.jpg

All the pools were probably at capacity. I wish I would have taken a picture of the pool (if that is what you call it) in the Solarium. There had to be 50 people standing in it, and they could barely move. We made two rounds of the pool deck, solarium and sun deck, and there was not an open lounge chair. Finally, one opened up, and I carried over to keep this one company.

b90c42aad01d4cd9349101e8f384de33.jpg

We spent three hours relaxing and reading here, an no one came back to this lounger. The pools were all crowded.

48285f8f46056288dee156b7ffee81f7.jpg

And lots were watching the belly flop contest.

2d0c40ba760b0df0b9875343712f1328.jpg

We thought about booking an excursion for Cozumel, but the app was still having problems. We saw this “Sorry, we hit a snag” message several times during the cruise.

25d939e38817b17804f94cb5f06843b2.jpg

This was the second formal night, so we stopped at the Promenade before dinner to get photos of the only other tuxes onboard.

564ce7438697c54a01b6da8a3787c1d4.jpg

We are back to My Time Dining tonight, and they were able to put us at a sharing table for eight. The only problem was, they didn’t seat anyone else there. So we had a nice big table for two tonight. Then they tried to rush us through dinner, but we refused to be rushed. I had heard rave reviews about the Vadalia Onion Tart, but had never tried one before.

70ee275d73f3e512c54417471fedc846.jpg

Off to the Royal Promenade to stand in line with all the kids to get our picture taken with Puss n Boots. Then it was time for the Headliner Show with the Passing Zone. If you have never seen these guys, here is their video from AGT. They were hilarious.

Not sure what this was waiting in our room tonight, but he looked very relaxed.

11061943f07b2155aba7957433bae8b2.jpg

We had a leisurely breakfast, and got off the ship around 10:30. Liberty of the Seas was tied up right next to us.

30941c6158f9008e16a9e944dcb70ac4.jpg

There is a Margaritaville just to the right to greet you. Not nearly as nice as the one in Falmouth.

109b77f0e41cddaf34910194817d5c28.jpg

We had been to Cozumel many times, so we were looking for something different to do. I had read that the Grand Park Royal All-Inclusive sometimes had day passes, and that it was an easy walk from the pier. So that was our plan. Head out of the port area, turn left, and walk about 500 yards.

Loving your review so far. Looks like you had a great time.

Thanks for the feedback. I was starting to think everyone stoped readings since it was taking me so long to finish this.

I think it was on T Advisor about someone getting day passes here for $60 each, so that would be cheaper than many of the excursions or on par with some other All Inclusive places. So we pass all the guys wanting to rent us a scooter, and those wanting to give us a great deal on an island tour.

We make it almost to the resort, and there is a guy on the sidewalk asking us if we needed any tours. We said “No thanks, we are just going to the Park Royal to see about a couple of day passes.”

Guy “Oh, there was a couple that just left there, and they gave me a couple of coupons they couldn’t use. I can get you in for $80 total, but you need to give me the money before we go inside.”

So like typical tourists, we give him $80 and walk inside with him. He obviously had some arrangement with the counter girl, because he gave her $30, and he kept $50. But the main thing is, we got our bands and got in to spend the day for $40 than we we had planned to spend.

There were a couple of infinity pools and swim up bars with a beach between them.

Infinity pool with Liberty of the Seas in the background. Too bad it blocked the Allure.

1624a88d842aba435656d04ddb90e944.jpg

One of the swim up bars. No problem getting waited on here.

60e4c274950abee1ae3b6a855f297d56.jpg

Wait, who put those kids in the pool to splash us old folks?

a0531514dd0169cb0248a506bd2751bb.jpg