Sea sickness, how worried should I be?

You sound like me. I get motion sickness a lot more the older I get. First cruise was AWFUL. Sick the entire time. Had medicine from the doctor and it just made me sleep. Second cruise I was prepared with everything I could find and then a very nice CC member told me about queasy beads. It’s basically sea bands but much prettier. So I bought some. Worked on the plane. Worked excellent on the ship. I never had to take anything else I brought with me. Now I use them on roller coasters and in the car. I keep a pair in my luggage and in my purse. Best thing I was ever told about.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’ve only been seasick once in 9 cruises and it was my first cruise. The ship was going ridiculously fast and pretty much the whole boat was sick. That was it. A couple of years ago on the Anthem after one of the major hurricanes, lots of people were sick and they had vomit bags hanging all over the place, but my husband and I were fine. Bring the patch or some Dramamine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

the more you sail, the less the seas affect you. JC

Just as an FYI- completely not true for me... I’ve sailed and boated a lot, and it’s gotten worse for me :(. I can’t even sit on a pontoon for four hours without getting sick, and it never used to bother me...

Just as an FYI- completely not true for me... I’ve sailed and boated a lot, and it’s gotten worse for me :(. I can’t even sit on a pontoon for four hours without getting sick, and it never used to bother me...

Well, I am sorry for your experience. I started scuba back in 95, I have puked twice under water, once in 96 and again in 97, thousands of dives later, those were the only two times. I have never gotten sick on a cruise ship, but the last time I thought I might was 2005. I have cruised a lot more since then, and nothing. We are all wired differently, but I went deep sea fishing last month, and I put on a scopolamine patch for the first time since 2003 and after the day, I was like what a complete waste of $30.

I do believe in sea legs.

JC

I am extremely sensitive to motion sickness. The Dramamine and Bonine did not help me. Nor did the sea bands. Ginger capsules gave me severe indigestion and nausea. The patch is the only thing that works for me.

Cabin placement is also key for me. I need to be as centered as possible, and I do still feel a touch dizzy when I'm at the very forward or aft.

Everyone reacts differently to the above mentioned remedies. You just may have to experiment to find what works best for you.

Good luck and happy cruising!

I also suffer from seasickness. Dramamine makes me sleep all the time, Bonine helps but only in calm seas. Wrist bands did nothing and ginger upset my stomach. The only relief I got is from the ship's doctor prescription of Reglan - I believe my doc at home said it was an early anti-nausea med for chemo patients. I now get the generic from my GP at home and start taking 24 hours before cruise leaves. I take 2/day and don't even take in morning if going ashore all day. For me, the key is to prevent seasickness - once I get it, I am done and the only relief I will have is when the boat stops moving.

I don't like taking meds - and this one has a lot of precautions specifically if you have history of Parkinsons. But my doc feels one cruise/year and the small amount I take shouldn't impact me.

I will be researching the essential oils someone here posted about - that is new to me and certainly something I will investigate.

Good luck and know that if it is really bad the ship's doctor can put you on an IV and rehydrate you with a dose of anti-nausea meds. Check if your personal health insurance will cover and possibly your travel insurance as well. But you will need to pay doc at time of service and deal with reimbursement when you get home.

Robin

You can always try to call back and see if any mid ships became available.

Bonine, not sure if I spelled that correctly, is supposed to be non drowsy. You should actually start taking motion sickness meds, I have heard, starting the night before you travel.

My aunt used motion ease essential oil for her sea sickness and said it worked wonders and no side effects (it can be purchased over the counter? You just run a little behind each ear.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

Bonine can make you drowsy.However,in my opinion that is the best anti nausea product.