Guarantee Question

janjay

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by janjay:

How far out do you get a room assignment? Do you wait until you board?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I heard different stories. In some cases it's prior to the sailing and sometimes it's when you board.

------------------------------

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Zuiderdam 8/21/04 FLL - Key West - Cozumel - Grand Caymans - Half Moon Cay - FLL

<LI>Splendour of the Seas 05/15/04 Barcelona - Marseilles - Villefranche - Livorno - Chivitavecchia - Naples - Barcelona

<LI>Century 07/12/03 Eastern Caribbean FFL-San Juan - St. Thomas - St.Maarten- Nassau -FFL

<LI>Komarno(Volga)07/91 Moscow - Astrahan' - Moscow (honeymoon)

<LI>Komarno(Volga)07/90 Moscow - Astrahan'- Moscow

<LI>Admiral Nachimov(or Nakhimov) (Black Sea)04/1986 Odessa - Batum

GO BRUINS!!!!

I usually do guarantees, just make sure you book the minimum category you will be satisfied with. Celebrity is not famous for giving upgrades. I've always been happy with my assigned cabin. You can usually get your cabin assignment from Celebrity about a month ahead of time on their web sight. Go to their online documentation page and it will be there.

Terri

Skyward - 1989

Carnivale - 1991

Holiday - 1994

Fantasy - 1998

Century - 2002

Century - 2003

Jubilee - 7/04

Century - 9/04

Coral Princess - 3/05

Valor - 10/05

Days til Valor Vampires Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

valorvampires.gif

I booked a 2a guarantee and that is what I got.

I was happy about that.

There were a number of fellow CC members on our recent baltic cruise that got upgrades to concierge class (complimentary).They had generally booked early and specific grades.

Concierge class opinion was thats o.k. as an upgrade but opinion was mixed as to whether we would pay the extra for the difference

Jim

Norwegian Dream April 2003

Constellation May 2004

thinking about the next one now!!

• 3 weeks later...

I recently booked on Century with a GTY Oceanview. 1 day later I was assigned...is there a chance that this will change prior to my sailing? I'm fine with any room with a window, but hoping for a bit higher deck!

My first cruise was on the Mercury for my Honeymoon. DH and I had booked the highest level balcony cabin..not sure what is was...1A? (now CC class) gty. We got our cabin assignment about a month out and it was a 1A.

However, upon embarkation we found out we had been upgraded to a Sky Suite!

It was a pleasant surprise and we enjoyed having the butler!

Did a gty on our next cruise on the Carnival Legend, and got the WORST cabin in that catergory...only HALF the balcony as the other half was cut off by an outside staircase. After that experience, I decided NOT to do gty again, to do my research and book early to get a good cabin. It also drove me CRAZY not knowing what cabin I was going to be in!

Needless to say, my gty experience with Celebrity was ALOT better than on Carnival!

Our first was on Celebrity's Century and we had a lowest level inside cabin and got a large window cabin on an upper deck. The second was on NCL Dawn and once again had booked a bottom line inside and got upgraded to an outside cabin once again on the lowest deck. The third was on RCCL and we got upgraded to a promenade view room. As you can see guarantees have always been great for us. I know that is not always the case but since I am happy with most anything I feel I can't go to wrong. The only time I have paid for a better grade room was when we were in Alaska as I really wanted to get a balcony for that trip.

Cruise lines have a certain number of guarantees in each category except suites. On my recent Sapphire princess cruise if got 4 category upgrade. on my Zuiderdam cruise before that I got a 3 category upgrade. On the Constellation I was upgraded twice, the last being 3 days before I sailed in a CC cabin.

Horizon, 9/5/04, Sapphire Princess, 6/13/004, Zuiderdam-2003, Constellation -2003, Infinity-2002, Vision of the Seas-2002, Mercury-2001, Norwegian Sky-2000, Horizon-2000, Ryndam-1999, Grand Princess-1999, Westerdam-1998, Grand Princess-1998, Oriania-1997

1985-1996-3-HAL, 1-RCCL, 2-NCL, 11-Princess, 1-Royal, 1-Cunard

Never got an upgrade on Celebrity, but have often on Princess. Princess is much more generous with ship board credit and upgrades. Once on Celebrity, we had a wet carpet in our cabin and went to Purser and had to pay to go to a different cabin. We were in an Outside category and went to a balcony, that's all that was available and paid $200 per person for the move. I didn't want to stay in that wet cabin and should have insisted on a move, but we did enjoy the balcony. When we got home, my sense of fair play came on and I wrote a letter and told of my plight. They gave us $200 ship board credit for our next cruise. Seemed Ok to us. I will never be that quick to pay again. I know that if I had asked someone from that office to come and see the conditions of the cabin, we would have been moved for free. I didn't want to think of what might have made the carpets so wet and I didn't think it was healthy to stay there. It worked out OK, but I am so easy! I just always feel uncomfortable when people have a fit over things not to their liking.

We booked a guarantee November, 2003 for December 2004 via CruiseQuick. They were only offering category guarantees. I was surprised when we were assigned a cabin, in our guaranteed category, in May. When I inquired if it was subject to change CruiseQuick said it was right up until boarding at the discretion of Celebrity.

Regards

I haven't done gty before. Any good stories? Have you been dissapointed?

We originally booked the Millie for July 8th a year out. Our TA reserved our 2C cabin dead amidships. A month or so later, we decided to move up to a 2B, and went with a guarantee, as we had heard upgrades were possible when reserving this way. When our cabin was assigned, it was a 2B, and far forward on the ship to the point that the balcony view is almost blocked by the supporting superstructure of the upper decks. From now on, we'll book the cabin we want, and let others get what upgrades are offered.

I am a travel agent and here is what I have found.

Carnival hardly ever gives upgrades out until day of sailing

Princess can give them out before final payment is made!

Celebrity which give out very few does not until final payment is made.

I have found that the travel agencies with the highest sales are the ones that get the best upgrades, usually.

Things like anniversaries, honeymoons also help

Good Luck!

We have booked GTY twice on Celebrity-once for inside (Cat 11) once for outside (Cat 7). We got the lowest category for the inside even though the ship was not full and they would not give us an upgrade. When we booked the outside we ended up in a Cat. 3 (now CC). You just never know!

Donna

My cruise embarks July 3rd. I booked with catagory 8 outside room a guarantee in March. My TA assured me that an upgrade was extremely likely. Celebrity immediately assigned the booked class and never upgraded, and I leave for the cruise in two days. Using a guarantee didn't show me anything.

Thanks for the input. I am a gambler, so I guess gty is a crap-shoot. I am not terribly concerned as I feel the only truly bad stateroom is one on a ship that has sailed without me!

I so agree. There is so much to do and see on a ship like the Summit. Staying in the cabin is not an option. We did get a balcony this time for some quiet time before dinner etc. but other than that we are movers and shakers!

Archived