Carnival Sunshine 5 day Bahamas review

tmt3698

Hello fellow cruisers,

Just got back from a fun vacation on the Carnival Sunshine to the Bahamas. Nassau, Half Moon Cay & Freeport. I'm 50 and travel frequently, enjoy cruises and land based vacations. This cruise I was able to talk my Mom into coming with me. I live in Florida and we drove to Port Canaveral. We arrived at the port around noon there was a small back up of traffic to get to the area where you drop off your luggage then proceed to the parking garage. I was hoping to get under the parking garage so my car wouldn't be in the sun for 5 days but getting there at noon all the covered spots were taken. It seems like the traffic would have moved quicker w/o the coach tour buses in the way. But overall it wasn't too bad. Once we parked and got inside the line went pretty fast. We ate lunch at the buffet it was crowded like other people have mentioned but we did find a table. I had Sheppard's pie it was delicious, and probably a salad. Of course some soft serve ice cream. Our room was ready at 1:30. We had room 6319 inside cabin it was fine,

the beds were very comfy and they had several pillows to choose from.

Our room steward was very friendly and helpful. Close to the Lido deck but I didn't realize must be close to a bar that played loud music all night. Bags arrived shortly after that. We had reservations at Cucina de Capitano. They brought out bread, I ordered Risotto balls and the chef's specialty which was clams, mussels, shrimp over linguine and a red sauce my side was lentils. I really enjoyed the entree the appetizer was okay. My Mom ordered the meatball appetizer and chicken Parmesan. It came out as a huge piece of chicken that had been pounded out and that was all that was on the plate but it did come with a side which she ordered spaghetti.

My Mom didn't like it and asked to send it back and get what I ordered which they did no questions asked. After dinner I think we went to see the early comedy show it was PG and very boring to me. We didn't stay long. http://Bahamas%20006_zpstn9nyzpu.jpg

http://URL=http://s665.photobucket.com/user/tmt3698/media/Bahamas/Bahamas%20005_zps8f2eqfhk.jpg.html]Bahamas%20005_zps8f2eqfhk.jpg[/url]

The first day was at sea, we ate breakfast in the buffet but at different times I get up early my Mom sleeps in. I got up around 7am normally at this time not many people are out and about and it's so nice. I went to the Havana Bar and got a fresh made omelette, fruit & croissant. We went to the steakhouse cooking demo at noon to try the food there. We split a Guys Burger it was good but loaded with cheese. After that I'm not sure what we did, walked around looked in the shops checkout the Liquid Lounge and found a spot we would like to sit that night. I can't remember how else we filled the day. But our dining time was 6pm tonight was elegant night. The lobster is $20 extra if you want it. Can't seem to remember what we ate this night but I do remember the waiters sing and dance and it's just a hoot!

Edited by tmt3698

Going in 2 weeks! First time on sunshine! Any inside tips?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello,

I like getting up around 7am(my normal time) the crowds at the buffet are minimal. They have a double line for fresh made omelettes in the Havana Bar and it's much cooler in there as the breezeway to the pool lets hot air into the buffet area.

I wish we would have taken some magnetic hooks to put on the walls that would have been nice. The Serenity Deck(3 stories) is awesome! Not sure what else to mention. I thought the ship was nice, The Liberty is prettier IMO. The Sunshine seemed to rock a lot and I normally don't get sea sick but had to eat ginger candy several times. Other folks were sick too. Maybe bring a motion band or the ginger candy works great too.

Tracie :)

Monday night our day at sea we went to the show Motor City in the Liquid Lounge. Classic hits from the 60's, 70's & 80's. It was a good show and there open seats even after it started. The folding chairs felt uncomfortable to me so we picked out a sofa type chair and were lucky/early enough to get that seat when we went back for the show. I've seen several shows on ships and this one was good but the performers seems like they may be on the newer side as opposed to more experienced performers. But it was still fun.

Tuesday we are in Nassau today! We decided to do a self guided walking tour our first stop is the Straw Market. We thought this place had AC but it does not and it's very hot and the vendors are very pushy! I really wasn't enjoying myself due to the heat and the aggressive sales people. I bought one t shirt for $10 would have bought more but was over it. We left there walked toward the pirate museum, I really wanted to go in here is costs $13 my Mom didn't want to go inside but did want to see the church right across the street so she went there and I went into the pirate museum. I like to research places before I go so I watched a lot of documentaries on You Tube about pirates so this museum was okay felt it was worth about $7. Finished there and was heading toward the art museum and stumbled upon the Graycliff Hotel, stopped in here to sit down(it was so hot 87 degrees) asked the lady where the chocolate store was and she said we could walk through the gardens to the chocolate shop. The gardens were gorgeous and the pool was breathtaking. Got a free sample of chocolate then headed to the art museum. It was $6 and had AC and I felt was well worth $6 at this point we walked back toward Hill St. there was a very cute restaurant and we stopped there had conch fritters and conch salad. Then walked back to Bay St. and hit some more stores. Then back to the ship.

Graycliff Gardens

enhance

enhance

enhance

Here I am about to have a heat stroke!

enhance

Edited by tmt3698

This night we ate in the MDR again, I had two appetizers, soup & stuffed mushrooms they weren't your typical stuffed mushroom they were ok. I had another seafood with pasta dish it was good. I had the chocolate molten cake which is delish! My Mom ordered salmon she said it was over cooked and a baked potato that was cold. After this we tried the buffet the last two nights. I've been on several cruises so my expectations are mid range. Some folks come on these cruises thinking they are going to get five star food and accommodations and it just isn't going to happen at these prices. I'm not sure what we did after dinner this night. They have three "play list productions" on this cruise:

Motor City music from 60's, 70's, 80's. Studio VIP music inspired by NYC in the 70's. And Epic Rock music in the 70's & 80's.

We went to Motor City and half of Epic Rock. Epic Rock was the last night and we needed to get up early to exit our cabin :(

Fourth day Half Moon Cay:

enhance

My girlfriend had been here before and kept telling me how gorgeous it was. How it works is you to go deck 5 Alchemy Lounge when you are all ready to go to shore they give you a tender ticket then you wait to be called. The tender boats are very big and pull into a channel and off load there. My friend and I split the cabana for $289 and it was really nice, at first I couldn't understand why you would pay that kind of money for a "cabana" but my Mom was there and my friends Father who is 90 was there so it made more sense. It has a small dinette set, two chaise loungers, wall AC, small frig, snorkeling equipment two sets, blue mat/float, shower, cooler with drinks, fruit, chips dip. Overall very cool. The water is stunning and was very calm, then around noon the tide came in and the waves got a little bigger but nothing overwhelming. They provide lunch 11:30-1:30 it's a huge pavilion with grills they grill hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken and bring all the fixings.

After we were all finished, I took a walk toward the part of the beach that was less crowded, a lot of folks had headed back so the bar/pirate ship was empty, it's two decks high I climbed to the top and took some pics then came down and found the walking path. I spotted a children's playground, there is also a small water park for children closer to where the tenders come in. There are bocci courts, a small church. There are bathrooms and lockers at the entrance. Overall it was a great day, this place is paradise.

enhance

enhance

Lobster is not included on short cruises. It's still available, for an upcharge. On longer cruises, they still serve it on one of the elegant nights, on the regular menu.

Interesting...good thing I booked the steak house one night. Cutting corners for shorter cruises doesn't seem far to me!

Interesting...good thing I booked the steak house one night. Cutting corners for shorter cruises doesn't seem far to me!

We ate one night at Cucina del Capitano and it was delicious, I probably would have gone to Ji Ji's but my Mom wasn't going to pay extra again.

Fun times for your to look over

Fourth night dinner was at the buffet, I had roasted pumpkin soup very good, another seafood and pasta and shrimp jambalaya good but very spicy. My Mom had the turkey and gravy and that was her favorite thing on the cruise. The cheescake was delish and the chocolate chip cookies was yummy too.

Last day in Freeport:

I had booked an excursion with Carnival: Glass Bottom Boat tour because I felt it would be tame enough for my Mom but she wasn't feeling well this day. I went to breakfast had the same again fresh omelette, fruit. Walked by the Blue Iguana and decided to take my Mom back a burrito and got something open faced on a corn tortilla. Both were very good. My Mom decided to stay on board, I went down to the excursion desk and told them she wasn't going and they gave us a full refund.

I headed off the ship into the port they have a Senor Frogs and several vendors/straw market and the folks are not as aggressive as in Nassau which was nice. We boarded the bus for Grand Lucaya Marina and the driver gave us info on Freeport. All the schools are required to have pools so they can teach the children to swim and they are all required to wear uniforms. Very interesting. Not sure why Freeport has such a bad rap, it was a nice place with lots of trees, lots of subdivisions with typical type house. Movie theater, shopping malls, Burger King.

Got to the port boarded the glass bottom boat it's a double decker with shad on both decks, they sell water, soda, snacks and fish food. Our first stop was on top of a reef they fed the fish then we headed toward deeper water they threw dead fish in the water and the sharks wasted no time coming up for a free lunch! Then they had a large dead fish on a rope and dangled that in and the sharks went crazy! It was amazing seeing this freeding frenzy so close. It was awesome! We headed back to the marina/ shopping area. I had lunch at a greek restaurant then shopped bought some souvenirs. Took the bus/shuttle back. Carnival told me if I didn't take their bus back I would have to take a taxi the excursion operators have a shuttle that runs to take you back to the ship. Got back to the port and shopped some more bought a super cute home made basket from a nice lady.

enhance

enhance

enhance

Sunshine fun times.pdf

Edited by tmt3698

Fourth night dinner was at the buffet, I had roasted pumpkin soup very good,another seafood/pasta dish and shrimp jambalaya good but very spicy. My Mom had the turkey and gravy and that was her favorite thing on the cruise. The cheescake was delish and the chocolate chip cookies was yummy too.

Last day inFreeport:

I had booked an excursion with Carnival: GlassBottom Boat tour because I felt it would be tame enough for my Mom but she wasn't feeling well this day. I went to breakfast had the same again fresh omelette, fruit. Walked by the Blue Iguana and decided to take my Mom back a burrito and got something open faced on a corn tortilla. Both were very good. My Mom decided to stay on board, I went down to the excursion desk and told them she wasn't going and they gave us a full refund.

I headed off the ship into the port they have a Senor Frogs and several vendors/straw market and the folks are not as aggressive as in Nassau which was nice. We boarded the bus for Grand Lucaya Marina and the driver gave us info on Freeport. All the schools are required to have pools so they can teach the children to swim and they are all required to wear uniforms. Very interesting. Not sure why Freeport has such a bad rap,it was a nice place with lots of trees, lots of subdivisions with typical type houses. Movie theater, shopping malls, Burger King.

Got to the port boarded the glass bottom boat it's a double decker with shade on both decks, they sell water, soda, snacks and fish food. Our first stop was on top of a reef they fed the fish then we headed toward deeper water they threw dead fish in the water and the sharks wasted no time coming up for a free lunch! Then they had a large dead fish on a rope and dangled that in and the sharks went crazy! It was amazing seeing this freeding frenzy so close. It was awesome! We headed back to the marina/ shopping area. I had lunch at a greek restaurant then shopped bought some souvenirs. Took the bus/shuttle back. Carnival told me if I didn't take their bus back I would have to take a taxi the excursion operators have a shuttle that runs to take you back to the ship. Got back to the port and shopped some more bought a super cute home made basket from a nice lady.

enhance

enhance

enhance

Love Snapchat! My Mom and I wrapping up this wonderful vacation

enhance

Edited by tmt3698